• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

DJ Scam Warning: DJ JsM (Jasjeet Matharu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bparikh

My team, Twin Cities Bhangra, in/around May asked DJ JsM to make us a mix for this fall, he agreed to it and was very responsive until the point where he got the first half of the payment for the mix, he then stopped responding to any and all communication attempts with us. He would promise us segments of the mix, but they never showed up by the time he said they would. From what I've heard, we're not the only team he has done this to. Which is why I just wanted to post a warning of sorts? He has basically scammed us, and I just wanted to put a warning out to teams that are considering hiring this guy as your dj, to not. I really don't want a new team like us to fall into this and lose money, because not only do you completely lose the down payment on the mix, you also have to find a new dj (shoutout to @srikarran for comin through and helping us out last minute!!) anyways thats all I wanted to say. I just really don't want anyone else to end up in this situation and go through the stress that we have had to go through.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Really sorry to hear this happened to your team, University of Minnesota Twin Cities Bhangra @bparikh. I've been in a similar situation with a Houston team, althought we luckily didn't pay anything by that point in time.. but the frustration was definitely there and it's a pain to switch DJ's half way through.

By the way, I update your topic title so that it's more specific and can be easily searched.

I was going to help facilitate some communication, but it looks like Jasjeet already responded. I was assuming your team had exhausted all avenues to contact him (i.e. Facebook, BTF, etc).

Let's hope Jasjeet does the right thing and refunds your money. There haven't been other similar topics where he screwed over other teams, so I'm not too certain about that claim.

~ Basim :)

Last edited:

JesseMangat

JSM also took our money (Michigan Bhangra Team) after promising he'd get us a mix within a couple weeks, and then simply just stopped responding. The messages did deliver because they show as "delivered" haha by Whatsapp, we tried more than enough times to keep contact before we knew we had to switch DJs.

traval6

We (GT Bhangra) had a similar experience with JSM last year. He wanted a $200 deposit up front (he didn't say that it was non-refundable) and only made about a minute of the mix. For everything after, he said he was working on it and delayed our deadlines by many weeks. By August, he confessed that he didn't have anything else for the mix and hadn't been working on it - we basically wasted a month trying to get more than a minute out of him. We were frustrated at this point and decided to drop him for a local DJ (Sidd Kel who made our first mix for free and was incredible to work with).

We asked him for at least a partial refund of the deposit since he only made a minute out of the mix. After MANY messages, he said he would, but never did it. I've messaged/called him all of the following applications over 12 months (I have screenshots to back it up):
facebook
soundcloud
whatsapp
instagram
btf
text/call​
I find it hard to believe that his phone wasn't working or he wasn't logged onto any of these applications for 1 whole year.

$200 down the drain but valuable lessons learned:
1. Started making contracts and screen shotting/recording every business transaction and conversation (we also had saaps issues with Aalok Mann and this came in handy)
2. Picking a DJ that you trust is better than picking from the "best" DJs out there. The trustworthy ones will make sure you end up with a product you like and will respect your business.

Hope no one else has to go through this!

bparikh

We have messaged on fb multiple times, the whatsapp messages clearly went through bc nowhere did I mention trying to message you on whatsapp that was all you, man (I can post screenshots of that if you want too?). Idk how to get through to you that what you're doing is not cool. I'm done here, if you decide you wanna send us our money back you know how to get a hold of us.

mithu

2. Picking a DJ that you trust is better than picking from the "best" DJs out there. The trustworthy ones will make sure you end up with a product you like and will respect your business.
JsM...One of the best?

hardeep_singh

We have messaged on fb multiple times, the whatsapp messages clearly went through bc nowhere did I mention trying to message you on whatsapp that was all you, man (I can post screenshots of that if you want too?). Idk how to get through to you that what you're doing is not cool. I'm done here, if you decide you wanna send us our money back you know how to get a hold of us.
this dude just put himself on that list of bhukhay laalchi with aalok mann and anil prasad.

i'll make a donation to your team if you promise never to delete this thread and all the comment/content you've posted.

JimmyJatt463

I haven't personally had to deal with JSM but I know one other team who has worked with him.
Similar story to what has already been told. He worked hard initially and was very responsive. He provided a lot of help and once a deposit was given his communication fell away. His response to messages was slow and any updates to mix always took constant messaging.
I hope your team gets your money back and you guys work it out. I think JSM needs to consider his actions and make sure he deals with things moving forward in a professional manner. Otherwise I think he's gonna lose a lot of business.
This whole situation is a shame because I think he is a very talented DJ and his mixes are always really cool to listen/dance to. I've been following his work for a while now and it's quality stuff but this sort of stuff shouldn't happen.

mithu

The only unfortunate thing I see is, you made a bad decision yourself and decided to pay $200+ USD for a Bhangra mix. Trust me you were never going to get a $200 service/product or effort for just a mix. Even if the DJ pays $0.99 cents for each track. still not worth it.
BTF is not Insurance and isn't going cover your ass for your lost money, your time either or help take back your decision. You got no mix, it clearly wasn't convenient, and no guarantees. Multiple people dealt with this guy, I doubt you had a written contract, just social media communication.

It's unfair for those who got screwed over at the end, but Y'all would have been better off downloading mixes from Soundcloud/Internet and putting them together for little to nothing $0. A mix should be the least concern of any team, so learn from your mistakes, Focus on your Bhangra first and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.