• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Exercises for dhol

Messages
146
Does anybody know an exercises for arms and hands to make them stronger so I can play faster, in time better and for longer? Apart from playing the dhol for a longer period of time e.g. Any weight training or aerobic exercises.
Thanks
 

monisingh

New Member
Messages
279
no just play longer...weight train exercises you can do them but they won`t make a difference unless you do excerces that specifically target the forearms which will actually slow your speed. from a dholi who is into weight lifting...every excercise you can do and is fine just not forearms, maybe I have good genetics for forearms since they are pretty big and I don`t need to train them. other dholis will also say that bicep exercise slows down speed...it does not it dpes have just a little bit of forearm work in bicep exercises like bicep curls but from my personal experience bicep exercises will not slow you down.
 

ramv88

www.dholiram.com
Messages
198
I think me or someone else mentioned this......Playing with a thicker tilli and playing slow/clean and going faster over time is the best way. Don't use your wrists when striking with the tilli or you will get injured. I will suggest you to play in front of a professional teacher and they will be able to point out whether you are doing this properly.


No body workouts are necessary. On the positive side you will be a dholi who stays in shape.








- Dholi Ram
 
Messages
146
Ok thanks man:) ill but a new thicker tilli and ill play all my beats slower now and build them up:) I see where you're coming from because then all my bleats will be we'll timed and clean :p haha
 

Pswaich

New Member
Messages
52
When I was learning I always taped some batteries to the tilli side, by practicing with a heavier tilli your wrist gets used to that weight. So when you play the dhol without the heavier tilli you should notice a difference in your ability to play longer without getting tired
 
Messages
146
Batteries? Oh ok, what size were they? I tried taping 2 tillis together but it didn't work very well :/ but thanks for the help, I'll try that:)
 

Pswaich

New Member
Messages
52
I used two AA batteries, taped one to each side of the tilli just below where you would hold it. Hope that helps!
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
when training to play for longer periods of time, i usually just practice playing for longer periods of time... all of the additional weight on the tilli doesn't ever help me.... on the dhaga side on the other hand, taping the entire dhaga with electrical tape to make it heavier helps, and when working out, try focusing on getting cut rather then gaining mass... mass makes you slower, but if you're cut you're fine.
 
Messages
146
Haha ok, I'll do that without disturbing the peace at home! I guess I could try both lol.. Yeah my boxing coach tells me that as well lol
 
Top