• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Exhibition Acts

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Should exhibition acts be other bhangra teams, non-bhangra dance performances, or singers?

I know there's another thread about home teams performing as exhibition acts, but what about non-local teams as exhibitions? I personally don't think competitions should have random bhangra acts. If it's a team that no one's heard of or a team that usually competes, it ends up blending in with the rest of the competition, defeating the purpose of an exhibition act. The few exceptions I've seen were KJ's medley at Bruin 2007 and KJ's exhibition at Blowout a few years ago. At Bruin, it had pure entertainment value for a bhangra-loving audience who pretty much knew every routine from KJ's glory days. Since Blowout is a collegiate, coed competition, KJ brought a different flavor to the show.

I've also seen non-bhangra performances at competitions. This is tough because they usually end up feeling weird and out of place, especially in front of a bhangra-loving crowd. Zee used to have fusion teams from local schools perform, and it just killed the vibe of the show. I did enjoy VIBC's exhibition this year though. They combined tap, bharat natyam, and another style (I forget what) in a sort of danceoff.

Singers. I hate the majority of them. They either lip synch or sound horrific, and perform for way too long. Malkit Singh and Lehmber are two of the only artists I've actually enjoyed watching at a competition.
 

ranjit singh

New Member
Messages
308
i think a comedic routine or a non-bhangra dance performance (indian fusion or maybe hip-hop) is a nice change of pace and helps keep the audience engaged.
 

Temurzai

New Member
Messages
397
Manjot said:
you have foosball at work!!
she works for ESPN lol SICK!

also, dheerja, i wana see u on the next sportscenter commercial

also, get coverage of bhangra comps haha
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Taiym?r said:
Manjot said:
you have foosball at work!!
she works for ESPN lol SICK!

also, dheerja, i wana see u on the next sportscenter commercial

also, get coverage of bhangra comps haha

Haha I was in the background of one of the live ones with Steve at the gym.

Don't we have gabrooTV for that?
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
You work for ESPN? damn, im gunna stop all the hate now... you've just become my 2nd favorite person on here... Meistro still holds the honor of being first... haha...
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Where exactly do you work? What location? I've wanted to work for ESPN/Fox Sports for like years now....
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Vick said:
Where exactly do you work? What location? I've wanted to work for ESPN/Fox Sports for like years now....
I work for ESPN.com in Bristol, CT....ESPN over Fox Sports. Definitely.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Isnt that their headquarters? I'm going to apply there this fall, let's see what happens... Whats your job title?
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Yup it's the headquarters, what dept do you want to work in?

Title is Associate Technical Producer
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Preferably in the Business department somewhere... oh and I wanna sit next to Chris Berman on NFL live... Make it happen Dheerja!
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Vick said:
Preferably in the Business department somewhere... oh and I wanna sit next to Chris Berman on NFL live... Make it happen Dheerja!
ON IT. Haha let me know how things go
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
I also want to be a part of the ESPN college gameday crew... I wanna bitch slap Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso for dissing Virginia Tech last year... I need to have a talk with ESPN's head honchos on their love affair with Brett Favre, the Yankees and the Red Sox... I need to ask them why their headquarters are in bumfuckville USA... Yea, ESPN and I have a lot to talk about.. I'll get you a promotion, you just gotta get me in... haha...
 
Top