• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED AGAIN!!***

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Great! I love this team-- your choreography and flair is very well balanced and your style is definitely becoming apparent (versus generic speed, etc). From what I recall, you're cleaner than last year but I imagine compared to other teams at Burgh this is where you lost points. I haven't seen many videos so I'll reserve judgments of "should have placed!", but I appreciate your creativity and fluidic movement around stage as a breath of fresh air
 

faizan

Just shut up and dance
Messages
1,736
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

this deserved to place, judges were asleep...
 

navi90

New Member
Messages
158
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

It was hella nice set. keep it up. love the dang segment!
 

Kaur

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,294
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Sue Sylvester said:
Hkiran said:
Havent seen a 14 man set in awhile,

And it will probably take a little longer until you actually see one... :)
AHAHAHAH need to practice my counting :p ahah
 

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Messages
467
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

you guys continue to be one of the more cleaner (in a good way lol), most chill but unfortunately consistently middle-tier teams on the east coast. As much as I love Swi/Ram/Sid, every set leaves me a wanting more so as an even bigger fan, I want to blow you...

Your biggest weakness continues to be undercreativity/stepping a bit too less. Your guys set incorporates relatively EASY and SIMPLE moves but any inexperienced dancer may assume that just because your dancers look tired at the end that the choreo must be difficult and challenging. (There are few parts where you guys do have more difficult steps, but most of the set has simple variations) Get your stamina up and improve your form, please - some of your dancers look overwhemled and amateurish when dancing. I feel like if you guys designed one of your sets end to end, and then pushed the envelope a little more by roughly 10 percent, then you'd actually place at a bhangra competition and not get associated as one of those teams that unfortunately consistently misses the mark. I'm not going to make an outlandish statement comparing your team to other east-coast team all-guy teams because that silly statement originated from someone outside your team.

This is the start of year 4 for First Class Bhangra. You guys have come a long way, but it's time to actually to take a stand and live up to your name. You guys do what you love and have your own reasons for getting up on that stage and I respect that. You guys have been recently relatively clean, but most of your dancers still need to work on their form (straighter backs, extensions, not going OD on head swag, maintaining energy, shaking shoulders consistently, having hops). Dance with more confidence and dance with more swag. And in terms of choreography, you can still be significantly more creative but still maintain your folkness. Your tricks don't hit hard - the daang throws are so overdone that no one but mediocre collegiate teams do them anymore, the saap on the wrists was a wasted trick coz you just showcased it but didn't do anything cool with it, the hand clap under legs while doing squats is impressive, but you can barely see what's happening (plus the fact half the guys are faking it) and with the other variations, you're really not selling them hard enough because they get lost so easily. Your formations are solid, but there's really nothing new (the jodiyan formation was clever though). Overall, the routine comes off a bit bland (push the creativity more) and without execution/stamina, it misses the mark.
 

indiaman5

New Member
Messages
97
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

could not agree more with what kinnell wrote above. i watched this video a few times and was wondering if there was something that i was missing that everyone else was raving about. it was a solid set no doubt, but def did leave me wanting more. all in all seems like quality of burgh performances was not as high as years past.
 

hsdeol

Active Member
Messages
485
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Sue Sylvester said:
you guys continue to be one of the more cleaner (in a good way lol), most chill but unfortunately consistently middle-tier teams on the east coast. As much as I love Swi/Ram/Sid, every set leaves me a wanting more so as an even bigger fan, I want to blow you...

Your biggest weakness continues to be undercreativity/stepping a bit too less. Your guys set incorporates relatively EASY and SIMPLE moves but any inexperienced dancer may assume that just because your dancers look tired at the end that the choreo must be difficult and challenging. (There are few parts where you guys do have more difficult steps, but most of the set has simple variations) Get your stamina up and improve your form, please - some of your dancers look overwhemled and amateurish when dancing. I feel like if you guys designed one of your sets end to end, and then pushed the envelope a little more by roughly 10 percent, then you'd actually place at a bhangra competition and not get associated as one of those teams that unfortunately consistently misses the mark. I'm not going to make an outlandish statement comparing your team to other east-coast team all-guy teams because that silly statement originated from someone outside your team.

This is the start of year 4 for First Class Bhangra. You guys have come a long way, but it's time to actually to take a stand and live up to your name. You guys do what you love and have your own reasons for getting up on that stage and I respect that. You guys have been recently relatively clean, but most of your dancers still need to work on their form (straighter backs, extensions, not going OD on head swag, maintaining energy, shaking shoulders consistently, having hops). Dance with more confidence and dance with more swag. And in terms of choreography, you can still be significantly more creative but still maintain your folkness. Your tricks don't hit hard - the daang throws are so overdone that no one but mediocre collegiate teams do them anymore, the saap on the wrists was a wasted trick coz you just showcased it but didn't do anything cool with it, the hand clap under legs while doing squats is impressive, but you can barely see what's happening (plus the fact half the guys are faking it) and with the other variations, you're really not selling them hard enough because they get lost so easily. Your formations are solid, but there's really nothing new (the jodiyan formation was clever though). Overall, the routine comes off a bit bland (push the creativity more) and without execution/stamina, it misses the mark.
thank you for your comments we'll definitely continue to improve our entertainment value through bhangra as we develop more and more intricate choreography and formations.
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Straight to the point, improve ur dancers and standernize the moves.

Hope to see u guys soon.
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Sue Sylvester said:
you guys continue to be one of the more cleaner (in a good way lol), most chill but unfortunately consistently middle-tier teams on the east coast. As much as I love Swi/Ram/Sid, every set leaves me a wanting more so as an even bigger fan, I want to blow you...

Your biggest weakness continues to be undercreativity/stepping a bit too less. Your guys set incorporates relatively EASY and SIMPLE moves but any inexperienced dancer may assume that just because your dancers look tired at the end that the choreo must be difficult and challenging. (There are few parts where you guys do have more difficult steps, but most of the set has simple variations) Get your stamina up and improve your form, please - some of your dancers look overwhemled and amateurish when dancing. I feel like if you guys designed one of your sets end to end, and then pushed the envelope a little more by roughly 10 percent, then you'd actually place at a bhangra competition and not get associated as one of those teams that unfortunately consistently misses the mark. I'm not going to make an outlandish statement comparing your team to other east-coast team all-guy teams because that silly statement originated from someone outside your team.

This is the start of year 4 for First Class Bhangra. You guys have come a long way, but it's time to actually to take a stand and live up to your name. You guys do what you love and have your own reasons for getting up on that stage and I respect that. You guys have been recently relatively clean, but most of your dancers still need to work on their form (straighter backs, extensions, not going OD on head swag, maintaining energy, shaking shoulders consistently, having hops). Dance with more confidence and dance with more swag. And in terms of choreography, you can still be significantly more creative but still maintain your folkness. Your tricks don't hit hard - the daang throws are so overdone that no one but mediocre collegiate teams do them anymore, the saap on the wrists was a wasted trick coz you just showcased it but didn't do anything cool with it, the hand clap under legs while doing squats is impressive, but you can barely see what's happening (plus the fact half the guys are faking it) and with the other variations, you're really not selling them hard enough because they get lost so easily. Your formations are solid, but there's really nothing new (the jodiyan formation was clever though). Overall, the routine comes off a bit bland (push the creativity more) and without execution/stamina, it misses the mark.
Me likes being outlandish. I stand by my statement.



Kinnell, be less mean man, it hurts :(
 

faizan

Just shut up and dance
Messages
1,736
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

so many edits! must have been good.


FCB, this was your best performance. But kinnell ain't never lied...
 

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Messages
467
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Kush said:
Me likes being outlandish. I stand by my statement.

Kinnell, be less mean man, it hurts :(

Oh, I thought you avoided reading my posts. Now... this... is.. awkward... :)


It's not often that I stumble upon a review that I absolutely 100% disagree with that it seems either really biased, really absurd or a combination of both. You're free to stand by your statement but understand that you did in fact call out every other independent team from the east coast on creativity comparing them to a team that I personally feel isn't really pushing/hasn't pushed the envelope as much as other teams like JJ, V:OT and even KPGD with a refreshingly creative set at BAB.



hsdeol said:
thank you for your comments we'll definitely continue to improve our entertainment value through bhangra as we develop more and more intricate choreography and formations.

My rational for my thoughts are carefully described in my original post with parts where I felt creativity was completely missed or not showcased/sold. I did take the time to give examples of lost opportunities and "tricks" that did not hit in addition to pointing out inconsistencies in execution by your dancers. It's up to you to decide which parts of my criticism and opinion hold any weight in regards to your team or whether you want to completely dismiss the entire post as non-constructive/not-helpful just because I also decided to have a little fun with Kush's review and/or a previous bias.
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

Sue Sylvester said:
Kush said:
Me likes being outlandish. I stand by my statement.

Kinnell, be less mean man, it hurts :(

Oh, I thought you avoided reading my posts. Now... this... is.. awkward... :)


It's not often that I stumble upon a review that I absolutely 100% disagree with that it seems either really biased, really absurd or a combination of both. You're free to stand by your statement but understand that you did in fact call out every other independent team from the east coast on creativity comparing them to a team that I personally feel isn't really pushing/hasn't pushed the envelope as much as other teams like JJ, V:OT and even KPGD with a refreshingly creative set at BAB.



hsdeol said:
thank you for your comments we'll definitely continue to improve our entertainment value through bhangra as we develop more and more intricate choreography and formations.

My rational for my thoughts are carefully described in my original post with parts where I felt creativity was completely missed or not showcased/sold. I did take the time to give examples of lost opportunities and "tricks" that did not hit in addition to pointing out inconsistencies in execution by your dancers. It's up to you to decide which parts of my criticism and opinion hold any weight in regards to your team or whether you want to completely dismiss the entire post as non-constructive/not-helpful just because I also decided to have a little fun with Kush's review and/or a previous bias.
Ooo i like absurd! I'm gonna add that to the list of words i use to describe myself... Outlandish and Absurd...

We clearly have different definitions to the word "creative". This really isn't the first time we've disagreed on something, no need to get political. I give my opinion to teams that i know will take it for what its worth... an opinion. And please don't try to soften the "fun" you had with my post with a smile and an explanation... because i simply don't care. "smile".

To my friends on JJ, to my friends on KPGD, to my friends on Virsa Our Tradition... and if any other teams who were OFFENDED by my COMPLIMENT TO FCB... lol..(it just sounds so funny)

PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I KNOW NOT WHAT I DO!!!! how dare i compliment a team that kinnell deems unworthy of the magnitude of my compliment, and offend thee as a result...

smh. so silly. this requires a 2nyce "BTF makes me chuckle sometimes". Neet, where you at
 

mrchicity

Active Member
Messages
329
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

In my opinion, it comes down to form and cleanliness for you guys. There are always creative tricks, but they're never executed perfectly. Sial koti was my favorite part, definitely something I had never seen before. One note though, I felt that the mix was almost OVER mixed: cool concepts for each song but it sounded more like a mixtape than a routine mix. Just something to maybe think about.
 

Pavan

New Member
Messages
155
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

definitely one of the most entertaining teams to watch, seeing you guys live was amazing. Everyone looked like they were having the time of their lives on stage. There were clear issues of cleanliness, which im sure you guys have already addressed, and I could tell some people were losing energy at the end of the routine. I really think you guys are right there in terms of placing at everything you go to, just need that little something to push you over. Also, props to the guys who flew in from all over the place to dance, Sid I think you said it was like 4 people. Congrats on a great performance.
 

Sunpreet

Bhangra's Most Wanted (BMW)
Messages
289
Re: First Class Bhangra @ Bhangra in the Burgh 5 (BIB V) *** UPDATED WITH 3 VIEWS***

sick, keep it up boys..
 
Top