• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

fucking riots

Sohaj

All this is going on rite after the election where BJP and Akalis got their ass handed to them. This thing has politics written all over it and it will be interesting to see what comes out of it moving forward. Their are tons of deras in Punjab/Haryana (not to ignore the small gurus/sants in every town/village in punjab). These gurus/sants are the reflection of the society where people feel the need to believe in them and politicians find a way to get easy votes. Community voting is a horrible idea and I hope at some point people understand that they shouldn't vote according to what their spiritual/reglious leaders tell them but according to their own needs/values.

Varun

Sohaj said:
These gurus/sants are the reflection of the society where people feel the need to believe in them and politicians find a way to get easy votes. Community voting is a horrible idea and I hope at some point people understand that they shouldn't vote according to what their spiritual/reglious leaders tell them but according to their own needs/values.
pretty true...this dogmatic approach to sants and deras is also the same held by people who blindly accept the "major" religions. And we Americans think the Religious Right is bad....India magnifies that mentality by a 100-fold

TheBraveOne

Jasjit Dhanoa said:
TheBraveOne:

In Sikhism there are 10 Guru's and the Guru Granth Sahib we can have alot of respect for individuals who we can calls sants or holy men but no one can be called a guru and compare themselves to the original 10 gurus. So I think our Guru's would expect us Sikhs to spread their word and with time these fake sants will disappear.

1) Bro I know there were 10 gurus in human form all having the same jot...and now that jot is in DHAN DHAN SHRI GURU
GRANTH SAHIB JI...
2) I am not comparing Anyone To our Gurus....
3) I only said what is in our bani

When you bow your head to Guru Granth Sahib Ji...are you not bowing your head to Bhagat Kabeer Ji? Baba Fareed Ji? Bhagat Ravidas Ji? Bhagat Peepa Ji?
If you accept Guru Granth Sahib Ji as your Guru, then you are accepting ALL the bani in it as your guru..because our Guru is Shabad

TheBraveOne

Yah you are right...If you call yourself a sikh...your only guru is guru granth sahib ji.. and you follow the mariyada guru gobind singh ji gave us. I agree with you.
I was abit confused......what i was trying to say was that in the past there were people who made Bhagat Ravidas, Bhagat Kabeer Ji their guru, and those followers did find waheguru, and guru granth sahib ji reinforces that these bhagats spoke of the truth.

i am not disagreeing with you, i am saying that there were people before guru nanak dev ji's time who made these bhagats their guru, and in return they found akal purakh.

Sher

I completely agree with what Jasjit has said throughout this topic. If your not going to follow Sikhism, don't call yourself Sikh (i.e Ravidassis). I don't really see why there is any justification to bowing down to a picture of Bhagat Ravidass Ji when we aren't supposed to bow down to ANY picture. Quote from section 3 of the Reht Maryada:

"Pressing the legs of the cot on which the Guru Granth Sahib is installed, rubbing nose against walls and on platforms, held sacred, or massaging these, placing water below the Guru Granth Sahib’s seat, making or installing statues, or idols inside the gurduwaras, bowing before the picture of the Sikh Gurus or elders - all these are irreligious self-willed egotism, contrary to gurmat (the Guru’s way)."

Also, the Ravidassis really should not be saying they separated from Sikhism because of the whole caste issue. This just shows how much they don't know about Sikhism. Yes, some people are culturally inclined to bring up caste, but caste has nothing to do with Sikhism. Langar was created so people could all eat at the same level. This is also why Guru Gobind Singh began the use of Singh as Kaur. A Sikh is a Singh or a Kaur, not a Jatt or Dalit.

COMTONDAJATT

mint gumri
Sher said:
Also, the Ravidassis really should not be saying they separated from Sikhism because of the whole caste issue. This just shows how much they don't know about Sikhism. Yes, some people are culturally inclined to bring up caste, but caste has nothing to do with Sikhism. Langar was created so people could all eat at the same level. This is also why Guru Gobind Singh began the use of Singh as Kaur. A Sikh is a Singh or a Kaur, not a Jatt or Dalit.
I know that is the ideal thing to say but the reality is that lower caste converts on a whole were always seen with mistrust by so called upper-caste Sikhs. There has always been friction and Dalits have been treated by less than full Sikhs by a lot of people. I am not sure for the reasons for it but part of it is probably because pre Singh Sabha movement there were many different people who identified themselves as Sikhs but not members of Khalsa Panth and afterwards people started to cast doubt on the Sikhness of Dalits because they had their own traditions they followed parrallel to Sikhism. No different that other Punjabi communities like Jatts who would also worship pirs and ancestor worship along with Sikhism. From what I have gleaned with my limited resources the problem is just that there is a lot of mistrust between both sides and there is no one really stepping up on either side to address this. Probably because SAD, SPGC have alliances with these Deras across Punjab.

Remy

All I can say is wow! And that guy had thousands of supporters too. Its insane that people can actually follow that conformity. Has it gotten any better over there yet?