• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Fully Roped Dhol with an American head

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Im experimenting with some of my shells and heads and wanted to see if i can put together a drum that is roped on both sides with an american drumhead. I burned holes into the plastic so they stay strong and theres no way they rip and i tightened the rope as tight as i could with my hands. Even though i gave it my all.... i was unable to get the correct pitch from the tilli side no matter how tight i made the rope and then no matter how far i took the rings... Has anyone succeeded in doing something similar to this or is this a lost cause? I attached a picture so let me know if you guys see any mistakes i made or see anything i missed.
 

Attachments

taminder

Member
Messages
82
yeah it's a remo ambassador. it sounds just like a leather skin. I thought I'd try it out since I kept ripping my skins & it was a waste of 5-10 mins every time I had to rerope

it was kinda hard... it only took like 5-10 minutes, but I got blisters all over my hands.


I roped it the first time as tight as I could, then I retightened it all the way around twice. I had to wait a day between each time I retightened it for my hand to heal lol.

it's tightening is kinda hard to explain... but I pulled the rope as hard as I could from the first knot, then I held it in place & used my other hand to tighten it around the next hole... then I held that in place after it was tight & used my other hand to tighten the next hole...

I know you'll prob need to re-read this like 3 times to understand it lol but lemme know if you're lost


If you have someone that can help you, it's even easier. that person can use their body weight to push the skin tight on the dhol while you rope it.
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
yeah thats what i did and i tightend it as hard as i could, completely ripped my hand apart the second day i tried it.... its still not as tight... so do i just repeatedly tighten it till one day it gets to that pitch?
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Yeah hahaha had to give it a shot, been working on that thing for god knows how long but its still not working =/
 
Top