• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

General Question- Is it OK to dance for multiple teams?

danceislife

Hi BTF community,

I have seen many experienced dancers dance for multiple teams even if they have one of their own. We all know how unethical we think it is in sports etc for someone to represent one team and then represent another (especially if they are rivals), but how relevant is that to our bhangra circuit?

I have seen dancers dance for 4, 5 or sometimes even more teams at different competitions. And I have heard people talk poorly about that i.e. "that girl/guy is a 'bhangra slut' " (apologies for the profanity). I have also heard praises for such dancers i.e. "no matter what team that person dances for, he/she always does well."

what is everyone else's opinion?

Howie Magz

I don't think it's an issue if you are not one of the captains of the team. While you are a captain, dancing for another team sometimes conflicts with how much work you put in towards your main team. I am one of the people who has been guilty of dancing for multiple teams while captaining a team myself and I realized that it is a very difficult ordeal. However, the benefit of dancing for multiple teams is that you actually get pushed to become a better dancer if the team you guest dance on is a top tier team in the circuit. I think that AEG and Furteelay have really helped give me a huge boost in my dancing while I was competing with them. I encourage my dancers to dance with other teams because I think that they get a lot better in the process. A couple of the dancers on MBT have guest danced for neighboring Michigan teams such as Furteelay, RVD, and ASD which have helped give them a huge jumo in their dancing ability. Also big stages such as Bruin, Boston, Blowout, Burgh WBBC, anf Elite 8 are all comps that any dancer does not want to miss out on. These opportunities can sometimes only be present if you are asked to dance for a team different than your own. Long story short I think I you are the leader of a Bhangra team it is not the best idea dancing for multiple teams speaking from personal experience.

Manjot

I think it is fine to dance for more than 1 team. But, you still want to have 1 team as your own team and have that team as a priority over others.

Its still ok to help other teams when they are short a dancer or w/e reason that may come up, just make sure that team will return the favour when your team needs a dancer or 2.

KushK

Howie Magz said:
I don't think it's an issue if you are not one of the captains of the team. While you are a captain, dancing for another team sometimes conflicts with how much work you put in towards your main team. I am one of the people who has been guilty of dancing for multiple teams while captaining a team myself and I realized that it is a very difficult ordeal. However, the benefit of dancing for multiple teams is that you actually get pushed to become a better dancer if the team you guest dance on is a top tier team in the circuit. I think that AEG and Furteelay have really helped give me a huge boost in my dancing while I was competing with them. I encourage my dancers to dance with other teams because I think that they get a lot better in the process. A couple of the dancers on MBT have guest danced for neighboring Michigan teams such as Furteelay, RVD, and ASD which have helped give them a huge jumo in their dancing ability. Also big stages such as Bruin, Boston, Blowout, Burgh WBBC, anf Elite 8 are all comps that any dancer does not want to miss out on. These opportunities can sometimes only be present if you are asked to dance for a team different than your own. Long story short I think I you are the leader of a Bhangra team it is not the best idea dancing for multiple teams speaking from personal experience.
LOL

Jaskirat Multani

Bhangra slut? Any dancer that dances at a high level has at some point danced for more than 1 team. If you've only danced on 1 team it's usually because another team wouldn't want you anyway.

Why does this topic exist? #vehlijanta

Mr. Mankiran

Pet peeve: people who don't attend your school but dance on your collegiate team, specifically and essentially, people who aren't even from the same city/region. You are no longer a collegiate team, you are effectively independent.

Jason

Manjot said:
I think it is fine to dance for more than 1 team. But, you still want to have 1 team as your own team and have that team as a priority over others.

Its still ok to help other teams when they are short a dancer or w/e reason that may come up, just make sure that team will return the favour when your team needs a dancer or 2.
Manjot has danced on at least 6 different teams lol

Howie Magz

Mr. Mankiran said:
Pet peeve: people who don't attend your school but dance on your collegiate team, specifically and essentially, people who aren't even from the same city/region. You are no longer a collegiate team, you are effectively independent.
Hahahahaha man you must really hate MBT this year. But it's only one guest dancer per comp ;)

Howie Magz

Ankush said:
Howie Magz said:
LOL
Always making my life difficult Ankush....

Mr. Mankiran

Howie Magz said:
Mr. Mankiran said:
Hahahahaha man you must really hate MBT this year. But it's only one guest dancer per comp ;)
Only love for you and MBT. I have a shirt now :]

ampal

I think it's a huge compliment when someone asks you to dance for their team and you definitely should.