• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Getting Sheesham Dhol in Brampton? :S

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
That was before when I sold my previous amb dhol, now I got a same amb dhol at Madhvi Musical & Pooja Centre, but the difference is: mixture of brown and red colour(I don't think there's masala inside of the wood), GBC Super Deluxe(Black Transparent), 23" exactly, 13.2" GBC, approximately 13" goatskin head(without masala), 11 lugs of nuts and bolts, same straps, tightened away from dagga, and same phummans

It comes up with soft case, 1cm - 2cm dagga stick with grips and red tapes, and 2 orange plastic tilli(one is black elastic tape to prevent from hand slipping

I understand that it looks unprofessional and looks like bazari looking, what I now realized about tilli side is that I didn't tightened it massively and properly to sound like punjabi folk, so you guys probably know about bhangra dhols more than I do, my bad :-[ whoops

To me my new amb dhol sounds... well it won't sound the best due to the soft properties of wood, but it sounds good to my ears, it's cost me like $200, and best for beginners :) (Videos of my new bhangra dhol, coming up soon, i think)

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get Sheesham Dhols, I'm planning to save up the money, and I still needed more practice to play better

Thank you so very much for your help folks :)


P.S. I'll take any advice of yours (in case)
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Re rope your dhol so it tightens towards the dhaga.... Ropeing it this way has an advantage because it gives it a more even distribution of tension. Also make sure your lugs are properly secured onto the dhol with a special bolt back. It'll be easier to tighten and won't damage your drum.
 

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
Dholi harsh said:
Re rope your dhol so it tightens towards the dhaga.... Ropeing it this way has an advantage because it gives it a more even distribution of tension. Also make sure your lugs are properly secured onto the dhol with a special bolt back. It'll be easier to tighten and won't damage your drum.
Sure thing bro :) I'm thinking and planning to re rope my dhol by tightening towards the dagga(later on, in the future) and which special bolt back? the rear/internal washer or something?
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Alright, good luck with the drum homie, def sand that thing down though, it'll look much better then that redorange paint look. Also from your videos, make sure you play your beats fully instead of rushing your hands. These beats sound very stressed and you're missing some of the ge's and na's because you're trying to play fast. Start slow, you don't have to impress anyone but yourself haha
 

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
Dholi harsh said:
Alright, good luck with the drum homie, def sand that thing down though, it'll look much better then that redorange paint look. Also from your videos, make sure you play your beats fully instead of rushing your hands. These beats sound very stressed and you're missing some of the ge's and na's because you're trying to play fast. Start slow, you don't have to impress anyone but yourself haha

Thanks homie :) I'll plan it out later sand it down in the future, I'm just playing for fun and ya I needed alot of practice, lol

monisingh said:
you got a taali drum there, not an amb dhol...and yeah sand it down
I wish that this is a taali dhol instead of amb dhol, lol
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Pretty sure thats amb, most drums that are painted, especially as heavily as that drum, are amb. Plus no one sells taali dhols for under 300
 

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
Dholi harsh said:
Pretty sure thats amb, most drums that are painted, especially as heavily as that drum, are amb. Plus no one sells taali dhols for under 300

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's amb as well, it's already painted to protect termites, correct me if i'm wrong
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
Also, speaking from experience, sometimes when there are deformities in the wood of the drum or the drum has a crack or is made out of two different drums or something of that sort, people put masala on the cracks or deformities or dents to hide it (so it looks like a perfect cylinder ) and then paint over it so no one would know
 

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
Dholi harsh said:
Also, speaking from experience, sometimes when there are deformities in the wood of the drum or the drum has a crack or is made out of two different drums or something of that sort, people put masala on the cracks or deformities or dents to hide it (so it looks like a perfect cylinder ) and then paint over it so no one would know

Oh, okay, and thank god my new dhol doesn't have any cracks so that's all good :)
 
Top