• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Giant Bhangra 3 Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylez1

SWAGGI
Ajaypalsingh said:
Jasjit Dhanoa said:
Proper Breakdown of 1st and 2nd placings.

Heeray Punjab De

WENT ALL LIVE.

Great Intro, beautiful algozey (Pappi) crisp clean boliyan (Pali paaji) and very powerful dhol. The set was ridiculously clean, from what I saw there were no mistakes. Phumniyan, Sial Kot, Chummar, Mirza (my favorite)....I can go on but the point is that every thing was covered and was executed beautifully. I think in uniforms one kaintha was loose and that was pretty much it. Each dancer had grace, energy and smiled the whole time. All partners showed nakhre on doubles moves and there was tremendous crowd support as well. Heeray tore it up.

Biggest stand out point: Each dancer made Bhangra look so easy, the grace, energy and very essence could be seen through their smiling faces.

Rangla Punjab

Great Intro music was loud and clear and the song selection was very nice. It was a good mix in which girls were able to perform and not be "manly". Once again all the moves were covered from what I can recall. However Phumniyaan were done pushing "up". Phumniyaan are done pushing down not up. Each dancer was very clean however like I've said before, girls screaming brrurhaa isn't to appealing. The jori part was nice, got the crowd (guys moving their laks). There was grace, there was energy, it was a great set and upon them ending I knew they would place.

Biggest Stand out: Guys were great, but the girls were just as good and actually did moves that looked good for girls and weren't manly, no gimmicks- just really well done bhangra.

Conclusion.

Both teams executed very well. There were no mistakes that I could find from either team. There was one aspect that I mentioned before and that is RP performing Phumniyaan wrong. If there were no mistakes, and both teams had great intros outros moves execution nakhre you name it. Then what is left? Traditionality points????

When teams like Heeray perform first, then the traditionality points would be based off of them, no? The point is that RP danced on music, and they had girls on their team, so how can they possibly pull the same amount of points as HPD on traditionality. Traditional emphasizes live and even though a team can be traditional and on music- there is no comparison to LIVE Bhangra because that is the true form of Bhangra.

I don't know what happened, but both teams did great but there is no doubt that HPD- went live, executed, and were the more traditional and real bhangra team. RP brought it and executed just as well and clean within their awesome set but in the end the difference still seemed obvious between them and Heeray.
From what i was taught, the proper traditional way of doin it is up. And doin phul traditionally is done with the right leg, not left.
yeah the traditional way of doing phumaniyan is pushing up.

JasjitD

Amandeep you can't say if phumniyaan traditionally is done "up". Now I guess it depends on who taught you and what area your teacher is from, or who he danced for. Phumniyaan are done down not up. Its a basic thing you teach, just like in double bhangra, the first thing you teach is to bring your arms down and not to push up...whats next? People will say do double bhangra pushing up, it will make it unique? I like the way Bhangra is done in Punjab, so I'm not a fan of NA Bhangra and how teams like to twist and turn moves to be "unique". I feel that there should be a limit to the changes. Again, opinions.

Jasjit Dhanoa said:
Amandeep you can't say if phumniyaan traditionally is done "up". Now I guess it depends on who taught you and what area your teacher is from, or who he danced for. Phumniyaan are done down not up. Its a basic thing you teach, just like in double bhangra, the first thing you teach is to bring your arms down and not to push up...whats next? People will say do double bhangra pushing up, it will make it unique? I like the way Bhangra is done in Punjab, so I'm not a fan of NA Bhangra and how teams like to twist and turn moves to be "unique". I feel that there should be a limit to the changes. Again, opinions.
haha what makes you the highest authority on what is right and wrong in traditional bhangra? you say you like the way bhangra is done in punjab n there r two videos shown to you with phumaniya with an "up" motion as the emphasis. If you look at different India teams even during kundey segments they put emphasis on the "up" motion first bouncin their legs low n pushin it up fast on the beat (i kno that sounds dumb cuz its hard to explain) n they do the same with their arms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ZXMz_9Pw4&feature=related

watch how this team comes out in the kunda seg..

campy614

Still not fully comprehending why this is an issue again. I think I missed the boat completely here.

Still agree with Naveen.

Also-the problem with "limits to change" in bhangra is that it basically eliminates any creativity that a choreographer can bring to the table. It will eventually lead to every performance being... well... exactly alike with barely any variation. Also, it leaves out modern teams (which I know many of you dislike-but you need to get over yourselves. It's not their problem-it's yours). What's next-all teams should dance to the same exact songs too? Sounds like fun...

It's all going back to a traditional way of thinking-and for what? There's no cause for it. We're in modern times. We're not in Punjab circa 1950. Times change, dances change, the concept of "traditional" changes. I know this for a fact because not only do I get to witness this in Punjabi culture (as I attempt to take part in it, and since nearly every single friend I have is Punjabi), but being Greek and Italian-I've witnessed this there as well. This is our generation's opportunity to put a spin on bhangra and to portray their take on traditional in their own special way. Taking away that opportunity makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm not going to change anyone's opinion, but I'm just stating mine.

Guriqbal

Lookat the way these kids do phumniyan, they shuffle there feet at the endd.. and there beingg taughtt like thisss..there isntt a right or wrong way to doo itt..

they do them at 5:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-iI5flKWk

Jasjit Dhanoa said:
Thats the exact quote of what you said and all u did say is that how Amandeep learned it depends on where his teacher is from but then u say its done down not up. Meaning your sayin how he learned it is wrong. you didn't say "i learned that the proper way to do phumaniya is up" if u had there would be no problem. if thats wat u meant im sorry of course how someone learns it pushes them to believe that is the proper way of doin it. I never said im an authority of anythin. i never even said you were wrong for sayin the proper way is down thas how i learned it too. you jus went on about proper bhangra and how you like how india teams do it the right way and by the laws of traditionality when india teams are the ones who are being creative n doin diff forms of phumaniya and adding new segments. Im sorry if i offended you, and your right everyone is entitled to their own opinions. that being said this conversation isn't really going anywhere haha. goodluck to you and your team

JasjitD

haha cool. Yeah man no need to offend or get offended. We're all Singhs just get along! Chal goodluck to your team aswell hopefully well see you guys at some comp someday. Peacee

Saab

Today is a gift
Naveen Singh Khokhar said:
Jasjit Dhanoa said:
Thats the exact quote of what you said and all u did say is that how Amandeep learned it depends on where his teacher is from but then u say its done down not up. Meaning your sayin how he learned it is wrong. you didn't say "i learned that the proper way to do phumaniya is up" if u had there would be no problem. if thats wat u meant im sorry of course how someone learns it pushes them to believe that is the proper way of doin it. I never said im an authority of anythin. i never even said you were wrong for sayin the proper way is down thas how i learned it too. you jus went on about proper bhangra and how you like how india teams do it the right way and by the laws of traditionality when india teams are the ones who are being creative n doin diff forms of phumaniya and adding new segments. Im sorry if i offended you, and your right everyone is entitled to their own opinions. that being said this conversation isn't really going anywhere haha. goodluck to you and your team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Eyao-2KWo

Fan21

WOW...the Dhanoa's are [content removed]. I would love to see u guys say that to a 3D or any bhangra girl. Result=SLAP!!! lol...So just stop hatin and accept what change brings.

Moderator's note: Please refrain from posting personal insults. You are free to voice your opinion but please do so in a polite manner.

JasjitD

Fan 21. Nice first comment. If you're done spewing hate and ignorance on your behalf that'd be great. Please don't twist my words. Thanks

Jaskaran

Fan21 said:
WOW...the Dhanoa's are [content removed]. I would love to see u guys say that to a 3D or any bhangra girl. Result=SLAP!!! lol...So just stop hatin and accept what change brings.

Moderator's note: Please refrain from posting personal insults. You are free to voice your opinion but please do so in a polite manner.
Oh boy here comes the return of POL. Fake accounts, direct attacks. You can't say it in person so you do on a forum with hidden id. Haha b&!!&&tch

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator's Note: Topic's dead. Joseph's will be done. [i.e., topic's locked; there is no discussion happening anymore]

Status
Not open for further replies.