• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Going to play dhol at a wedding for the first time, any tips?

Balle Balle RAWR

So, it is my first time playing for a wedding (I played at 2 garbas before). Any tips? Anything I should know? Like when to take breaks, or how to keep up endurance (bhangra is a lot more fast paced than garba beats), etc. thanks :)

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
Are you playing for a baraat?

Based off of my experience, baraat's usually last around an hour or less. If you are playing at a baraat with music playing continuously, I suggest try and take breaks during start of a different song, before a drop in a song. Try not to strain yourself.

If you are playing at a wedding just for a gig, it depends on how long you will be playing.

ramv88

www.dholiram.com
I am assuming then with the info that you gave that its for reception then.

endurance is improved via practicing and playing the beats slow to improve the efficiency----check out the manvir hothi vids for chaal, bhangra and dhamaal beats on youtube for more practice. those are the three main beats to play during the reception.

1. smile -it makes others smile and gives you more presence

2. feel it out which song to play----break after a few songs but I normally feel out when to stop playing depending on the song that the dj plays. I personally like it when he plays hip hop since its something that I can be really creative with!

good luck!

- Dholi Ram

Balle Balle RAWR

Thanks for the reply ! I will be sure to check out those videos and practice a lot. I will probably take a break when it is not necessary for me to play (like when they play hello by adelle )

Dholi harsh

The only way you get better is by playing. Gigs however are the worst in terms of helping you become better. At gigs you tend to lose form, you tend to take short cuts on the proper bols of whatever beat you are playing and you tend to smack the dhol rather than strike. Always remember not to sacrifice any of this. It'll actually set you back if you just try to play whatever comes in your mind. Play controlled, with proper form, and full bols. The power and "playing loud" will come with practice.

Also the two main beats to play at a reception is definitely Chaal and Lehriyaan. Don't half ass it and play Dhamaal. You're just giving yourself shortcuts at that point.