• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Grounshaker Resultsssss

Lally

Active Member
Messages
332
yo congratz to all the winnning teams and to the organizers of the comp. for making it happen.
had no doubt in sgpd!!

once again congratz!!!
 

Nirpaal

Member
Messages
159
Congrats to all of the teams, very solid competition much more than what i expected, huge shot out to shan-e punjab, seniors did one of the most memorable sets i have seen in a VERY long time big ups!!!
 

- Raja -

New Member
Messages
686
very tightt competitionn..congrates to all the teams who placedd!!!!!! and no GTA/Mehak didnt perform
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Sunny said:
did sgpd come out with new unis?
Videos should come out soon... they allowed cameras and videos...

* PPA was AWESOMEEEEEEEEEE - seriously awesomee. Even 7:00 minutes into their set they looked like they had just begun, stamina was so strong. Then expressions, everything, wow
* Yes SGPD wore new vardiyaan. Personally, I liked them, but I heard mixed comments.
* Crowd was weak. It had soo many empty patches and it was quiet. Only people making noise was Shan-E
 

TheBraveOne

New Member
Messages
137
Nahh i wouldnt say the crowd was weak..they just cheered when there was something to really cheer about..like PPA, Shan e, and sgpd
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
just wondering how are judges for other competitions-are they anywhere near what groundshaker had???

-Judge's critique was really beneficial and it helps me alot to know what we can work on in the future...if competitions keep this sort of judging competitions would be better
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Parul said:
just wondering how are judges for other competitions-are they anywhere near what groundshaker had???

-Judge's critique was really beneficial and it helps me alot to know what we can work on in the future...if competitions keep this sort of judging competitions would be better
Generally, no...groundshaker had great judges...but in general...you will not find such well qualified judges...that apparently give excellent feedback as well...so expect the worst from here on out...that way you aren't dissapointed. ;D
 

HarmanSingh

New Member
Messages
531
Congrats to all the teams that placed...which seems to be half of the competing teams. lol.

About the crowd- no suprise Mariam. Unless you are from Toronto, the crowd stays pretty quiet.

And Jeeti is right, expect most competitions to completely ignore your requests for judging sheets to see what you can improve on and for them to have judges who have no business judging.
 

Vic

Member
Messages
291
Mariam good job with your team. And congats on best female dancer!

The competition ran ahead of schedule, but they did not stress the teams. Judging was good, but the 2 ties were not what anyone expected.

If everyone who has out video can just hold it till after idols that would be great. Thank you.

Also congrats to Shan-e Seniors. First time live seemed like they have been doing it forever. Very impressive! Well done!
 

MPElive

Ehhh Folllkkkkkk Ahhh !!
Messages
323
Overall, The competition ran very smoothly. It was fun chilling with the PPA/PCAC/Shan-E boys throughout the weekend.

PPA & Shan-E Seniors put out one of the BEST sets ever. It could have gone either way and was extremely hard to judge between them.

SGPD came out really strong but after three mins, their dance looked average. Good luck at Idols. Bring the trophy back to Toronto :)

Also, I really liked the fact that the judges gave thier feedback after every performance. One thing I did not like was when they were giving feedback to one specific dancer (if it's negative, it might have put thier confidence down).

*** Best Smile: Kanwar Dhaliwal - Shan-E ***
 

Nirpaal

Member
Messages
159
I dont have a professional review lol but here's what i think..
The judging for the music category was a bit unfair considering these were all mostly traditional style judges, i mean the only critique they had for SGPD was their chadre, at first i wasnt 100 percent sure i loved their set like i do their others, but after thinking about it...it was very solid

The live category was one of the most entertaining one's yet, when the Ustad from india came out to perform with PCAC seniors, i was out of my seat, best dhol player i have seen hands down.

PANJ was very surprising to me very solid and impressive set, they came out and did their thing although they didnt get critiqued by the judges(must have forgotten to)

What can i say about Shan-e Punjab, the juniors came out with a bang bringing ou Narinder uncles son in the set, very cute kid and he got the crowd going wild aswell, and they also had a very solid set, and what can i say about the seniors, fanomenal traditional set, the first jori is possibly one of the most solid jori's ive seen, all 8 dancers seemed like they have been dancing traditional for a while

Overall very successful competition in my eyes, i didnt get to see the reactin of the crowd when the placing were announced, me and my team had to go to our own performance, can anyone fill me in on how the crowd reacted to the tie's???
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
I am actually prettty shocked that they critique individual dancers...I find that unnecessary and defeats a bit of the purpose of being called a team (you are only as good as your weakest dancer)...if you want to give awards for excellent individual performance..thats fine, but individual dancers...come on now...Atinder bro....I agree with you...I don't get that especially if someone just has a bad performance...

The other thing about that is that everyone knows who the weaker dancers are whether they have less experience or are attempting to improve facial expressions...it is the job of their fellow teammates to critique them and not the judges...just because it is a bit demoralizing coming from someone you don't really know than someone simply trying to improve the team in general.
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Atinder bro, thoosi SODEY camrey naal photo kichey si? If so, fir kadhon nu upload karoon gey MPELIVE tey?
 

MPElive

Ehhh Folllkkkkkk Ahhh !!
Messages
323
The pictures from the Mixer and the Competition will be up in two days. Sorry guys, We were not allowed to do any video coverage. I am sure there is someone who got the videos regardless.
 

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
Messages
932
These are my thoughts on the competition...

On the competition itself, maybe this is the usual and I'm just not used to it...but it was WAY TOO LONG...kind of to a ridiculous extent. I think I was in that auditorium for 5.5 hours. what?!

Judges...very qualified excellent judges with some great feedback, BUT I really really disliked the manner in which comments were delivered. I did not think it was appropriate at ALL to give comments in front of everyone I personally think that should be something like a roundtable discussion with the teams individually. Like pointing out people's chaadre and INDIVIDUAL criqitues is just not PC in my opinion...there's no need to embarrass people in front of everyone...it's just awkward. Otherwise, they did have lots of constructive feedback but I just personally think it should be in more of a personal setting...

The tying...was strange...they basically had the like we couldn't decide who is the best so we made everyone winners! Which was a cop out in my opinion considering there weren't like 10 teams...it was 5 and 3....

The performances....AMAZING. I thought everyone was amazing...seriously. And PPA....the energy was effing sick....and EVERY single person was smiling throughout the entire performance it was awesome I loved it. I didn't know Shan E doesn't usually go live, but they were SICK as hell....and it was obvious most of the crowd was fans of theirs....kind of like Virsa in queens....haha...

I seriously just thought all the teams were great, I think you have to see the performance more than once to give a critique (not that I would be one to critique these teams...ha.)

It was long, it was fun, but the teams were awesome, congrats to all!

Also, Mariam....you are an awesome dancer...great great energy. And I'm sure this was an experience for you guys being one of your first competitions, but the kid on your team who spoke to the judges, great comments, he was very well spoken. I think you guys did a great job!

okay bye.
 

Mike B

New Member
Messages
127
anyone can give a critique, no matter your background. even the very best can improve in ways they may not see and you do
 
Top