• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Guess who's on probation!

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
Funny. The same people who like to intellectualize their profound views on the War on Drugs are bagging on this kid for complaining about a real life example of how fucked drug policy is in the U.S.

Keep smoking homie, fuck the police.
Your advice to someone on probation for marijuana is to keep smoking marijuana? Profound advice man. That will do him good. And surely, continuing to give money to law enforcement over drug arrests will make the government rethink its war on drugs...

The "f the police" comments in cases like this really help to discredit real claims of abuse of power and inequality/abuse of the criminal justice system like police brutality, racial discrimination, etc. The same people who say "f the police" in cases like this will probably say very little with the situation in Arizona but will complain if they get pulled over for speeding. Notice who says "F the Police" most now days...its suburban kids who go 90MPH, get pulled over and are mad. When they see REAL reasons to say "F the Police"- like slow response times to emergencies in low income neighborhoods or excessive force used on minority communities then I will listen to them.

And anyways, I think peoples' issue with this thread was the way in which it seemed like the original poster was proud of his arrest and how unnecessary and tacky it was for him to post this on a public forum , I and I think others were not commenting on drug policy in the US.

Varun

People put tons of inane shit on here. And ultimately everyone here is friends and share all the sad, funny, and wack shit that happens to them. Dude was doing the same...to brag about having to have a high school drop out Probation Officer administer random piss tests for him was probably far from his intention.

And this actually is abuse of power, to sanction the State's authority over what one free individual decides to do with his body and lungs. Who was he hurting?

But of course there is just way more money to be made for the government in criminilizaing it than not. How else are we going to fill up empty cells, contract the prison industrial complex for big dollars, hire college drop outs to be guards and POs, continue the authorization of illegal searches and seizures, etc?

Thanks for letting me know my advice to him was profound bro. Yours was just as good, your sarcasm definitely made a difference.

I repeat. Fuck the police. I only bow before Durga Mata and my dadiji.

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
People put tons of inane shit on here. And ultimately everyone here is friends and share all the sad, funny, and wack shit that happens to them. Dude was doing the same...to brag about having to have a high school drop out Probation Officer administer random piss tests for him was probably far from his intention.

And this actually is abuse of power, to sanction the State's authority over what one free individual decides to do with his body and lungs. Who was he hurting?

But of course there is just way more money to be made for the government in criminilizaing it than not. How else are we going to fill up empty cells, contract the prison industrial complex for big dollars, hire college drop outs to be guards and POs, continue the authorization of illegal searches and seizures, etc?

Thanks for letting me know my advice to him was profound bro. Yours was just as good, your sarcasm definitely made a difference.

I repeat. Fuck the police. I only bow before Durga Mata and my dadiji.
Again, I was not commenting on the actual laws in place but the thought that goes into someone's head to post about being on probation for the world to see. Not the smartest thing in the world to do. Neither is openly admitting you are involved in illegal activity. It is just stupid to publicize something like that. This thread sounded like it was made by an immature high schooler.

These limousine liberals who talk endlessly about the abuse of power in regards to marijuana use often go silent when it comes to protesting or speaking out against racially discrminatory or classist laws. No threads on this forum have been made about the abuse of police power in Arizona. Or about African Americans who are gunned down and brutally abused by police in inner cities each day. Yet we can get 50 people to come in here saying how messed up it is that he can't smoke weed in public.

You have to admit, your advice is far from logical. If you were his friend, wouldn't you would tell him to chill on the weed at least until he is off probation? Even if you protest the War on Drugs, you have to be smart enough to play the game or you are just letting the game play you.

By the way, the whole "Fuck the Police" mantra you have going...would you say that if you were robbed at gunpoint by someone or would you call the police to come help you out? Broad statements like "fuck the police" and "fuck the millitary" are easy to say, but hard to stand behind in the real world.

Varun

Marijuana. Used by everyone from the soldiers in Guru Gobind Singh ji's armies to the Yogis who wrote the Upanishads and Gita to even the founding fathers and framers of our Constition.

The fact that we have to be ashamed of using a naturally growing plant..a fucking plant..is just sad.

Fuck the people who made a biological product into a hotly-disputed narcotic, controlled by murderous cartels and counter intuitively manipulated by governments to control, police, and subjugate their people.

Harman, I'm not the kind of guy who gives advice nor do I take it. It really is up for PartyJatt to make his own decisions.

Varun

HarmanSingh said:
By the way, the whole "Fuck the Police" mantra you have going...would you say that if you were robbed at gunpoint by someone or would you call the police to come help you out? Broad statements like "fuck the police" and "fuck the millitary" are easy to say, but hard to stand behind in the real world.
I, like you, definitely do criticize people when they talk about stuff they don't know and just blindly follow it. Be it nationalist pride, religious zeal, or hypocrisy. I'm not perfect but I try to avoid this, since I am so critical of myself. If you would like to know about my personal experience with the police, my family business and how we are no strangers to robbery nor police futility, or how I see differences between how cops treat citizens of the same damn suburban city I grew up in(this isn't even talking about a metropolis like LA, where you can "justify" profiling).

I'll send you a PM, bro. Didn't expect you to be judgmental and write me off as an illogical hypocrite, though...I actually agree with the majority of your posts, but this is out of character.

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
Marijuana. Used by everyone from the soldiers in Guru Gobind Singh ji's armies to the Yogis who wrote the Upanishads and Gita to even the founding fathers and framers of our Constition.

The fact that we have to be ashamed of using a naturally growing plant..a fucking plant..is just sad.

Fuck the people who made a biological product into a hotly-disputed narcotic, controlled by murderous cartels and counter intuitively manipulated by governments to control, police, and subjugate their people.

Harman, I'm not the kind of guy who gives advice nor do I take it. It really is up for PartyJatt to make his own decisions.
I keep telling you man, I am not commenting on the actual laws about marijuana. I said time and time again I am for legalization. The issue isn't that he should be ashamed to smoke marijuana, but for his own benefit and for trying to do something with his life publicizing that you are doing stuff that is illegal is tacky and irresponsible. You gotta know how to play the game. Getting caught is step 1 in losing and step 2 is acting like you are somehow proud of it or looking for sympathy because you made a bad decision with your own life. You know weed is illegal, so if you get caught and get in trouble accept responsibility for it on some level instead of blaming the police. The cop on the street is generally not the problem in these cases, they have to follow orders and arrest those who break the laws- blame the lawmakers. Now if it comes to police brutality or racial profiling- then you can blame the officer.

And again, would you say Fuck the Police if someone you love was killed and they were the ones who found the killer or if you were robbed and they found the guy who did it? Or would you thank them? Easy with the radical statements like that, you can let it roll off your tongue but when it comes to reality I doubt you stand behind it 100%.

BTW: You did give advice.

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
HarmanSingh said:
I, like you, definitely do criticize people when they talk about stuff they don't know and just blindly follow it. Be it nationalist pride, religious zeal, or hypocrisy. I'm not perfect but I try to avoid this, since I am so critical of myself. If you would like to know about my personal experience with the police, my family business and how we are no strangers to robbery nor police futility, or how I see differences between how cops treat citizens of the same damn suburban city I grew up in(this isn't even talking about a metropolis like LA, where you can "justify" profiling).

I'll send you a PM, bro. Didn't expect you to be judgmental and write me off as an illogical hypocrite, though...I actually agree with the majority of your posts, but this is out of character.
Not being judgemental at all man, I just don't agree with the comments you made here. I don't know you to judge you.

Varun

HarmanSingh said:
And again, would you say Fuck the Police if someone you love was killed and they were the ones who found the killer or if you were robbed and they found the guy who did it? Or would you thank them? Easy with the radical statements like that, you can let it roll off your tongue but when it comes to reality I doubt you stand behind it 100%.
I mean, if you are going to encapsulate an entire organization and institution off of the actions of one individual (in this case the hypothetical officer who saves me or a loved one) then is it not fair for others to also say "fuck the police" because they have experienced isolated examples of harassment, profiling, unconstitutional searches and seizures, etc?

Both reactions would be wrong really. I would rather look at the bigger picture and messages the Police represent. Those symbols and power structures...to me they are unconstitutional. And I don't support them.

but who cares, its just my online opinion anyway.

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
HarmanSingh said:
I mean, if you are going to encapsulate an entire organization and institution off of the actions of one individual (in this case the hypothetical officer who saves me or a loved one) then is it not fair for others to also say "fuck the police" because they have experienced isolated examples of harassment, profiling, unconstitutional searches and seizures, etc?

Both reactions would be wrong really. I would rather look at the bigger picture and messages the Police represent. Those symbols and power structures...to me they are unconstitutional. And I don't support them.

but who cares, its just my online opinion anyway.
So you think their should be no law enforcement at all? Or what realistic steps would you take to change law enforcement?

Varun

I think our views on crime and punishment need to change. I feel like jails and police are constructions that do not attack the root of the problem. The money we spend on prisons and officers can better go to the root causes of crime : poverty, income inequality, educational inequalities, racial segregation via unfair housing.

Those are very very very long term goals.

On the short term. One thing I think that would totally help over night: Require an officer to live in the area he patrols for at least one year. Then we will see how he can harrass the young kid who his son used to play basketball with or be stoic about a robbery in the very story he buys his groceries from.

HarmanSingh

Varun said:
I think our views on crime and punishment need to change. I feel like jails and police are constructions that do not attack the root of the problem. The money we spend on prisons and officers can better go to the root causes of crime : poverty, income inequality, educational inequalities, racial segregation via unfair housing.

Those are very very very long term goals.

On the short term. One thing I think that would totally help over night: Require an officer to live in the area he patrols for at least one year. Then we will see how he can harrass the young kid who his son used to play basketball with or be stoic about a robbery in the very story he buys his groceries from.
I agree with the first paragraph- but that does not have anything to do with actual police officers.

Regarding the idea of officers being required to live in the area they patrol, it often leads to more corruption in which officers are entrenched in drug rings, prostitution rings and other shady activities. I don't think that alone would solve much.

PartyJatt

Umm, im not an immature high school kid thank you. MY intention was to tell people why i haven't been on vent in a while

Navkarn

PartyJatt said:
Umm, im not an immature high school kid thank you. MY intention was to tell people why i haven't been on vent in a while
vent misses you too baby