• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Help: Translation from punjabi to english

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Re: Bakre Balaunde?

loll this post made me chuckle..........bakre balounde basically means BRUAHHHHHH........it shows a youthful jubilation in the farmer's son's activities during auspicious events.

Ashqe

haha i was actually trying to figure out some punjabi words and there are tons that I wanted to know but I'll start off with team names.

Sonay in SGPD?
Rooh?
Anakh?
Shan-e-Punjab?
Shan?
Waris Punjab De?
Heeray? (Diamonds?)
PDDS (I forget the full team name Panj Dariyavan Di Shaan?)

rajkaran

Ashqe said:
haha i was actually trying to figure out some punjabi words and there are tons that I wanted to know but I'll start off with team names.

Sonay in SGPD?
Rooh?
Anakh?
Shan-e-Punjab?
Shan?
Waris Punjab De? (Walrus of Punjab? haha i had to, I just randomly thought of it)
Heeray? (Diamonds?)
Hmm...i'm no punjabi expert by any means, but ill try to figure some of these out...

first of all, i thought the "bakre bulaunde" part was sumthing more along the lines of "having fun" or "making jokes"...something joyful/'social...along those lines...help, anyone?

Sonay in SGPD= beautiful/handsome
Rooh= "Soul, spirit, essence, scent, life" (from an online dictionary)
Shan-e-Punjab= Pride/glory/majesty of punjab
Shan= pride/glory/majesty
Waris Punjab De= Heirs of Punjab?

i think that's what they mean...

Manjot

Ashqe said:

Sonay in SGPD?
Rooh?
Anakh?
Shan-e-Punjab?
Shan?
Waris Punjab De? (Walrus of Punjab? haha i had to, I just randomly thought of it)
Heeray? (Diamonds?)
sonay = beautiful
rooh = essence
shan = pride
waris = heir so so heirs of punjab
heeray = diamonds
PDDS = Panj Dariya is 5 rivers which equals to Punjab so basically the shade of 5 rivers???

pritpal94

A while back I was singing the song Putt jattan de by Surinder Shinda, I asked my baba what it meant by baloun de bakhere and he said it meant: when jatts get drunk they used to start making the sound that goats (bakhare) made and they usually did this with farmers after a long day working khet (land).
Lol... so that's what I think it means :'D

Argnabh

Meistro said:
loll this post made me chuckle..........bakre balounde basically means BRUAHHHHHH........it shows a youthful jubilation in the farmer's son's activities during auspicious events.
Thanks buddy....since we have the topic going...what do these following phrases mean:

1) GhainTe walla
2) Jeere walla (someone who sells Cumin seeds?)

Kamran786

Ashqe said:

Sonay in SGPD?
Rooh?
Anakh?
Shan-e-Punjab?
Shan?
Waris Punjab De?
Heeray? (Diamonds?)
Sonay-Handsome
Rooh-Spirit, Derived from Arabic
Shan/Shaan=Pride
Waaris=Can mean owner,heir,etc. Depends on context.
Panj-5
Dariyavan-Rivers, I think? , Derived from Persian

Jap Brar

Ghaintey waley (its actually kaintey waley)- kainthas are the things you wear on your neck when you do bhangra. so people that wear kaintes are kaintey wale.

Cheeray walia- Man with Turban.

Argnabh

Jap Brar said:
Ghaintey waley (its actually kaintey waley)- kainthas are the things you wear on your neck when you do bhangra. so people that wear kaintes are kaintey wale.

Bahut Wadiya jawaab!!

Thanks man!!

pritpal94

Argnabh said:
Jap Brar said:

Bahut Wadiya jawaab!!

Thanks man!!
Anymore?

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*

Lalkare means Roar, right? Like LSD is Roar of the Lion? Or am I mistaken.

I'm going to add my own needs on this list. Knowing Gujju and Hindi can only help so much.

Patola = ?
Apne Begane = ?

What does the main lyrics of Furr mean? Pehli uddi Furrr, Doosri uddi furrr... etc

Thanks a lot.

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.

Aren't Lalkares like challenges/shoutings....I dunno how to describe it. Like in songs they always says the men are shouting challenges in the streets and alleys....gali ch lalkaare

Patola = Puppet

Furr is like the sound a bird makes....the first one flew away furrr...the second one flew away furrr...the third one flew away furr...it's meant to be figurative, the song is about girls...

Don

Pooja said:
Aren't Lalkares like challenges/shoutings....I dunno how to describe it. Like in songs they always says the men are shouting challenges in the streets and alleys....gali ch lalkaare
it just means roars like kinnell said....LSD bhangra is "roar of the lions: lalkare sheran de". it does not mean challenge