• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

How do you "fix" Saaps/Chikey?

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
Aight. So the chickey/saaps we are borrowing from another group are in various conditions. Some have been smoothed/sanded down and others are a bit blistery on the hands. A few of them come together smoothly, but the one's I'm most concerned about are the one's that don't. It takes a great deal of energy to push the two ends together, and when your going fast, it's hard to make it a clean movement.


What can I do to fix these saaps/chikey, to make them more smooth and less choppy?
 

rajiv0224

New Member
Messages
380
Hardeep is the expert here, but I'll add that last year my team had a similar situation. We put WD-40 on the wood which seemed to reduce the friction and make it so that the saaps wouldn't be so choppy. The saaps ended up having a pretty smooth movement and lasted throughout the season.

Not sure if that was the right thing to do in terms of longevity of the wood, but it seemed to work for the time.
 

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
hardeep_singh said:
replace all the screws and nuts and stick 2 washers in between the wood pieces at every hole

Well I was kinda' trying to avoid doing that, since they aren't ours to keep. We are borrowing them from someone else. I guess if I comes down to impeding the dance, we could try doing that. Otherwise, it might not be time efficient.
 

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
rajiv0224 said:
Hardeep is the expert here, but I'll add that last year my team had a similar situation. We put WD-40 on the wood which seemed to reduce the friction and make it so that the saaps wouldn't be so choppy. The saaps ended up having a pretty smooth movement and lasted throughout the season.

Not sure if that was the right thing to do in terms of longevity of the wood, but it seemed to work for the time.

We are borrowing these from someone else. The wood/finish on these saaps/chikey are not well done. It's basically just bare-bones wood with a few nuts and washers here and there. I'm up for the idea since it's less time consuming, but I don't want it to make a visible stain on the saaps/chikey.
 

baljot

Member
Messages
484
well at this point no advice one can give you advice cause you keep saying you don't want to mess with the saaps?
 

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
baljot said:
well at this point no advice one can give you advice cause you keep saying you don't want to mess with the saaps?

Well I do want to do something to fix them... but something that has more pro's than cons. I guess if I can't do anything else to them, I could do want they told me I could.
 

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Messages
1,459
WD-40 wouldn't stain your wood, especially if you just spray it on/near/around the bolts and then wipe any excess off with a cloth.

That's probably your best option if you want something quick and easy,

~ Basim :)
 
Top