• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

How to muffle my dhol?

NeeshDFeesh

Hey all,

I recently got a dhol and I'm trying to learn how to play it, but I live in an apartment building and obviously the dhol is very loud. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can dampen or muffle the sound so I can practice without disturbing everyone around me? Also, i'm going to be playing it in environmenta where the music won't be very loud (like portable Bluetooth speakers or something) so finding a way to muffle the sound while still sounding OK would be great. I've seen suggestions of putting a pillow case over both ends for example, but I haven't tried that yet. Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Armaan

so I used to put a regular old t-shirt on top of the treble side. you want to make sure its tight around it though so that you Tilli can still bounce a bit. If you still think its loud, you can add another t-shirt.

Honestly same goes for the bass side... just use a sweatshirt!

shreeps

siddyp said:
i used to use a towel. just drape it over

Same. I usually have it cover only half of each head so I can still play on the surface of the head. I don't mind hitting the dagga side when it's covered with a towel but I don't like hitting the towel with my tilli.