• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Klum Upsets Hindus with Halloween Costume

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
Messages
932
Kinnell, I think you are just too passive.

We are disagreeing for a worthy cause, if we stop caring about this who knows what will come next? We can't go on life pardoning everyone for their ignorance and stupidity. That's not how you get to the point of common understanding and respect.

We have every right to expect others to be sensitive and respectful to other religions in this country. Heidi Klum or the designers of American Eagle and all these other folks are NOT living under rocks. They have all the resources at their hands to inquire/understand and we are idiots if we let things like this go all the time. I would never disrespect another religion like that, why should I not expect the same out of another person. THERE'S NO EXCUSE.

The hypothetical McDonald's story shows that you are clearly missing the point here...this has nothing to do with imposing our religion on others, but rather having a mutual respect. It's not like Heidi Klum would have come up with the Goddess Kali costume had Hindusim not been in existence...if she wasn't such a bloody idiot she would have known that it's NOT okay to make a mockery of religion as such.
 

aariaaripyaari1985

New Member
Messages
2
as a hindu, sometimes it is difficult to know what to do in these types of situations. one of the beautiful aspects of our religion is being open, but allowing disrespect is unnecessary and probably even negating your dharma as a follower of hinduism. my take on it is...you don't have to be passive...but you can approach each situation according to the type of action it calls for...and think cautiously and wisely about that action before committing it

hindus definitely have the right to speak up on this one, just for the sake of stopping heidi from promoting any ignorant trends, being such the fashion icon that she is ("with great power comes great responsibility")

i'm sure she was trying to just be fun and creative, so no need to slap her upside the head or anything for being stupid, but i'm definitely a proponent of educating people so that they don't make such tasteless choices, or at least consider whether a choice may be seen as tasteless before engaging in this type of a religion & fashion faux pas

let's just hope she doesn't make gods/goddesses be one of her themes on the show

or else i'm sorry heidi...i love project runway, but "you're out" ;)
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Yeah, I agree - When it comes to religion/culture, I'm hella passive. I realize that a lot of my points didn't articulate completely what I'm trying to say. This coming week along with driving to BBC is ridiculously tough on me, so I will take some time to better organize my thoughts and express my opinion. I mean, in the end, it is my opinion and while I have come to agree with some points that I have been brought up, I will not be changing my mind or position in the matter because it's become the essence of who I am today.
 

manveersihota

New Member
Messages
31
okay i read this forum and i am deeply hurt of this desecration of Kali Mataji. However, instead of debating this we need to find ways of preventing it, like education ppl on our sanskaar and sanskriti ( i noe i sound like a total fob saying this) We need to make it clear that Hindu dieties only belong in temples and shrines and not otherwise. I know telling a couple ppl won't seem to make a diff. but if those ppl tell other ppl, it all adds up. so we should try to resolve this issue through education. However, if this desecration is done by purpose that is a completely diff. story. pher ta joothian chaknian pehnian ya. :p lol. i agree with pooja and kinell, we need to try to stop this and take a stand cuz its serious, i mean ganeshji chappals? and it may be acceptable in urban culture to dress up like Jesus, but is it ethical to dress up as a devi or devta? i dun think so. i think we need to take an easy approach that goes both pooja's and kinell's way, thas all i wanna say. ;) btw, fr good measure, JAI MATA DI! :D
 
Top