• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Malwai Gidha Teams

Jap Brar

New Member
Messages
269
Does anybody know exactly how many malwai gidha teams there are. There should actually be more of these teams in bhangra competitions since many people tend to stay into folk themes. It would be unique and somewhat entertaining.

Any Opinions???
 

COMTONDAJATT

mint gumri
Messages
302
It would be a great idea. I think the problem with Malwai giddha is that the crowds at bhangra competitions are not always filled with people familiar with Punjabi folk idioms and the thet Punjabi sayings that are a part of the boliyan. It would be great though to see people apply and make new boliyan about how they fell in love with the TA from chem class or how they gotta work at their dad's gas station.
 

sorethighs

New Member
Messages
85
I think it'd be cool to see them at comps as an exhibition, but you can't really compare the two. I think a MG team won chicago PSC a couple of years ago, and it was a weird situation b/c it was a bhangra comp
 

HMalhi

New Member
Messages
96
Yea, I don't know if i could see it working here
but my cousin was on a bhangra team in India and said at competitions there with all bhangra teams, a malwai giddha team would always have an advantage being so different.
IDK about competing, but it would definitely be fun to perform. MAD practiced a malwai giddha set and were gonna do one at blowout block party, even got dressed and everything, but couldnt do it last minute due to some problems
 

TheSlammer

New Member
Messages
70
I'm apart of a Malwai Giddah team in Yuba City, Ca. I think we really the only one in America that has somewhat stayed together...We usually perform 2-3x a year and mainly focus on the Punjabi-American Heritage Festival in Yuba City. We were however the team that got 2nd place at the PCS Bhangra comp in 06. Here is a small video of us:

http://www.youtube.com/v/j6QmOZ-AXrk&hl=en&fs=1

Amar,
http://www.sadavirsa.com

Moderator's note: Just an fyi that you don't have to post the embed code for youtube videos, for some reason it distorts the post. You can just insert the url for the youtube video with the 'Insert Hyperlink' button. I fixed the post and thanks for sharing the video with us!
 

Jap Brar

New Member
Messages
269
Nice video bro. It's always entertaining to watch malwai gidha. IDK about others, but malwai gidha is the shit!
 

Gurjit

Member
Messages
100
I am also from this team and we did dance at PCS in 06. It was an odd situation, we wanted to do an exhibition act but we were asked to compete so we did. In my opinion, Malwai Giddha is more of a dance that is for people to sit down and listen to. The boliyan have alot of meaning and now a days we make really modern ones for example online chatting, gas prices, and etc.
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
http://www.yubacitysikhtemple.com/

Not to be facetious, but the Sikh Parade is straight up SICK. I just wanted to look it up because my friend from Berkeley always used to tell me about the Sikh population in Yuba City...Yuba City this Yuba City that, so I finally looked it up - with all the international visitors for this parade you are putting yuba city on the map...





 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
Haha Abhi appropriate song choice - who knew the post-attachment function would ever be used to prove a point!?
 
Top