• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Manly songs...?

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
People discussed how a girl should dance....
also discussed if a girl should a jhummar or not
Sooo, are there certain songs that a girl should not perform on? Is there such thing as 'manly songs'?

I am shooting for an all girls team and wanted to know. ;D
and if there are some that you think girls shouldn't...may you list them

Shukriya
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
There are songs that sing about "guy things" (like Gabroo Jawan) but I don't think these songs should be limited to just all-guy teams.
 

Manjotnsj

New Member
Messages
125
I think i know what your talking about, and that really does seem debatable
i think that it would be werid to see a group of girls danicng to "dolyianch jaan" lolll
so i would rather not see a girls team dancing to 'manly songs' :)
just a suggestion ;D
 

sulmoney

smd, bitch
Messages
532
being a person who has to take this into account when putting a routine together the past couple years, you have to know the lyrics and meanings of the songs before using them, because as has been noted, you dont want girls dancing to songs about curling their staches :)
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
sulmoney said:
being a person who has to take this into account when putting a routine together the past couple years, you have to know the lyrics and meanings of the songs before using them, because as has been noted, you dont want girls dancing to songs about curling their staches :)
what if some of the girls have some killer staches?!
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Yeah Im not too fond of teams using songs that are male centered. There is a point where you draw the line. I think songs like Sher Punjabi are fine because they don't put FULL emphasis on men, but Punjabi people in general and punjabi tohar. Other songs that talk about gabroo's or put jattan de shokeen, from a female perspective are also fine. Even some verses from male centered songs like gabroo jawan (havaan'ch duppattey mardey udariyaan), are also fine. Like salman said, its really important that you understand lyrics.
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Pooja said:
Jasmeet said:
what if some of the girls have some killer staches?!
WOOOOOW.

KUTTE. hahaha.
You think it's funny, but some girls I've met can definitely compete with my stache. And then it's not funny at all and you're just trying to avoid staring at it.
 

Sohaj

Member
Messages
44
What if it was co-ed team with a male choreographer? Can they use 'manly' songs or do you think they need to find a balance between manly and feminine songs?

I agree with Sulmoney that people should pay attention to the lyrics of the song. Do you guys think that songs about sharaab should be used? I forgot what team it was but they used the Feem song from an album by Popsy in one of their competition sets. The song has sick beats but in my eyes is not an appropriate song to use. It reminded me of a time when I was watching a video of my cousin's wedding from a pindh in Punjab where the DJ accidentally turned the same song on for like 5 secs before he started getting yelled at by everyone. He was showered with statements pertaining to his mother's and sister's sexual behavior and soon he moved on to another track.
 

Rohit

New Member
Messages
163
I dunno I think you can get away with songs like pheem and daru and all as long as the occasion call's for it (eg; you feel the crowd will not mind it). Girls I would say should def stay away from very manly songs but then again I dislike girls being very aggresive on the dance floor as well.
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
worst display of music i have ever seen.............I believe it was michigan bhangra (co-ed) in 2003 or 2004, and they used yaari by Lehmbar, and I can still remember the girls smiling and doing moves to "Kunjri de kotey ney pyar mildha"....hahahahah
 

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
THANKS peeps. Just wanted to know.
I actually had many many in mind [but soo fun to dance to] that I know to stay away from...then there might be some that I wont know [if one in particular comes up, ill ask :D]
oo Yes, understanding the lyrics is crucial...thanks Salman :)
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Sohaj said:
What if it was co-ed team with a male choreographer? Can they use 'manly' songs or do you think they need to find a balance between manly and feminine songs?
What difference does it make who the choreographer was, let alone the gender of the choreo person? When you perform it, your team performs it. no one knows who made it up. I think it's irrelevant.
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
Manjotnsj said:
I think i know what your talking about, and that really does seem debatable
i think that it would be werid to see a group of girls danicng to "dolyianch jaan" lolll
so i would rather not see a girls team dancing to 'manly songs' :)
just a suggestion ;D
wats wrong w/girls dancing to that!!!! i think thats fuckin hottt!!!! theres nothing wrong w/a girl showing how strong she is

and another song i think thats just hot for girls to dance to is aish-notorious jatt
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Pooja said:
Jasmeet said:
what if some of the girls have some killer staches?!
WOOOOOW.

KUTTE. hahaha.
it's ok pooja, i've seen some girls...killer stach! i'm not talkin' about you though.

i like the mix of manly to feminine songs.
 

Jap Brar

New Member
Messages
269
some songs off the top of my head: Paggan ponchia wale by daljit, gabroo jawan by harbhajan mann , shounk nu karayian mucha kundiya by chamkaur khatra, shounk my parminder, etc. i mean you definitely have to listen to lyrics to accomodate bhangra moves for girls since having a bhangra beat and dhol arent the only keys.
 
Top