• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Mastering/EQ Tutorials/Resources

shreeps

Hey BTF,

Are there any really solid tutorials or resources for EQing and mastering techniques?

I have a book, and plan on finding videos on YouTube or articles online, but I was wondering if there were any ones that people recommend.

Not sure if there was already a thread on this, so I figured I'd ask again.

Thanks!

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
GREAT QUESTION. Stickying this.

Start with legit music and production courses at:
khanacademy.com
coursera.org
lynda.org

Then focus on what you're looking for.

Is it EQ? A sound engineering tutorial might be good
Is it mastering? understand that mastering in most lexicon means getting something ready for CD distribution, not simply making it sound really good
Is it mixing techniques? Then production tutorials would be good as they'll focus on the basic raw sounds, and how to build up. You can similarly apply those concepts to remixing (and this is where you'll get the 'mastering' info you want).

I have watched hours and hours of videos. Most of it is intuitive, and if you've mixed will not add any knowledge. But you'll learn proper terms for stuff you already know, helping later for tough concepts. Be prepared apply and combine concepts on your own, as bhangra mixes are a pretty unique category for sound production there's no single video that will show you how to do it well.

shreeps

Thanks, Swi!

To add to that, I know that simply listening to mixes (and trying to recreate them) is a great, practical way of figuring out things on your own. Once you get something rough together, you can focus on it part-by-part and see what edits the original mixer has made to get an idea of why they were made, how to make them, etc.

mithu

Once you understand basics, its pretty much all ear. There is no secret formula for EQing. [SIZE=small] Its just not about throwing an EQ on a track either. You have to also see if other effects like reverb, saturation, etc help it. [/SIZE]

For mastering, what I usually do is go through presets and get to a final sound I like, and fiddle with each setting manually till I like the out come.

For everything other than mastering I use Ableton stock plugins and Fab Filter for the most part.
For reverb my go to plug in is GlaceVerb (but only if I cant get what I want from stock ableton since GlaceVerb isnt 64 bit).

For mastering, only thing i use is iZotope Ozone.

Feel free to message me if you needs links, or more details!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/articles/usingeq.asp
This is pretty much go to site for theory related stuff.

Here is chart that might give an general idea:

himynameis

mithu said:
Once you understand basics, its pretty much all ear. There is no secret formula for EQing. [SIZE=small] Its just not about throwing an EQ on a track either. You have to also see if other effects like reverb, saturation, etc help it. [/SIZE]

For mastering, what I usually do is go through presets and get to a final sound I like, and fiddle with each setting manually till I like the out come.

For everything other than mastering I use Ableton stock plugins and Fab Filter for the most part.
For reverb my go to plug in is GlaceVerb (but only if I cant get what I want from stock ableton since GlaceVerb isnt 64 bit).

See... wasn't this a more fulling post then the typical "concepts good mastering suck"

And on this side it's more helpful

mithu

himynameis said:
mithu said:

See... wasn't this a more fulling post then the typical "concepts good mastering suck"

And on this side it's more helpful

Im not about to go over this again, go read the other thread.

Navi Dhaliwal

One thing I never understood about mixing till about last year was eq, Its the one thing that sets amateur dj's apart from "professionals." For my first year of mixing I thought eq was ONE preset. After countless hours of Dj Preet and Dj jassi trying to teach me I finally realized that eq is gonna be different on every single song, every effect, every accapella, ON EVERYTHING. One thing they taught me is your almost never going to perfect it. Its gonna be here and there but never on spot, the better you are at it tho the closer you will get to the quote on quote "perfect eq." Eq just makes whatever song your mixing 100000x better. Anyone can throw together a couple of songs and call it a mix, but it takes a pro to know about eq/mastering... etc. Just to all the amature dj's on the forum. Learn how to eq early its really really important, I just cant stress enough how important it it. Its gonna seem difficult at first but get help from other dj's. Throw them a message on fb, or just pm them a question ! [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Not tryna be a suck up or anything but Mithu probably knows more about eq than anyone on the forum. SO ask him it'll probably be really beneficial ![/font] Good lucky to everyone trying to learn eq ! Keep your heads up it isent that hard !