• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Mixing Ladder Rankings and Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.
We compiled a document here and it explains the way we ranked each mix as well as next week's matchups. Mixes are due by Saturday night and will be posted Sunday. Voting will be done through posts from here on out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WSsQFVu3MS9Kkb4yXmCuD3FZEu7EV20sqo69U5Jv0Oc/edit?usp=sharing

mithu

Loving the theme idea. But shouldnt the songs be selected by the mods, otherwise this could give a mixer an advantage over another.

All the themes were made by the mods. We take suggestions but won't give a dj a theme they specifically request for so they don't just use a mix from something they mixed a while back.

ksxi

17 / UK - I like Bhangra (kinda)
From this, I can see that I am competeing against Mundra, with the theme of Ranjit Bawa?

Am I supposed to get started with a mix of Ranjit Bawa?

Never done this before lol

preet585

Gurekmann Gill said:
All the themes were made by the mods. We take suggestions but won't give a dj a theme they specifically request for so they don't just use a mix from something they mixed a while back.

I'm sure most the DJ's will already have a mix they have done in the past that fits the theme. I suggest that specific songs are still being assigned, it'll make it easier for people to vote, versus having two different songs to vote on. Voters will tend to usually vote for the song they enjoyed more. Also I will be compiling a song list that you guys are more than welcome to use.

mithu

preet585 said:
Gurekmann Gill said:

I'm sure most the DJ's will already have a mix they have done in the past that fits the theme. I suggest that specific songs are still being assigned, it'll make it easier for people to vote, versus having two different songs to vote on. Voters will tend to usually vote for the song they enjoyed more. Also I will be compiling a song list that you guys are more than welcome to use.

+1.
Themes should be weekly meaning a single theme for everyone. Point of this is be creative within giving constraints. Letting people picks songs wont make it more creative, if anything it'll make the mixer less creative because they'll pick songs that are 1) popular and 2) easy to mix.
Mods should be giving songs that haven't been remixed heavily, or been heard.

Last ladder we did multiple themes, and we had songs from all over the place. Rock, EDM, punjabi, Spanish (if i remember correctly), etc etc.

EDIT: I also noticed bunch of new people in the ladder. You shouldnt add any more mixers at this point. They had plenty of time to join. If they want to join the ladder, they should have to wait till someone drops out.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Good feedback given by preet585 & mithu. It doesn't hurt to try this "assign a theme and let DJ's pick their own songs," but I'm sure it will be much more difficult to give feedback and compare both mixes directly.

Let the mixing mods try this out and see how it is goes.. the best way to learn what works best is just to experiment! :) It's not like the mod's can't revert back to the traditional "on song for each battle" method next week/in the future.

By the way, this is a great topic that had a lot of song suggestions from Season 2 of the mixing ladder: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/mixing-ladder-challenges/btf-mixing-ladder-song-suggestions/

I really like the "theme" challenges - I remember we had a lot of fun with these in Season 2. One specific week that I remember is toward the end of October when we did a spooky songs/Halloween theme.. trying to mix those songs was no jokes.. required the DJ's to be super creative! Check out some of "Week 6" mixes from our previous ladder if you want to listen to what I mean.

Anyway, look forward to hearing some more awesome mixes. We have a lot of good participants this time, so I'm sure the BTF audience will not be disappointed!

~ Basim :)

H.S

Considering that it is a theme and not song this time, are we still expected to have about a minute of a mix? Or is something like 4 ~ 6 min allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.