• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Mixing Ladder Wk 1 Matchup 7

DJ ISB vs DJ JSM

• DJ 1

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • DJ 2

Votes: 54 55.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithu

Both are pretty bad.
Sounds like both of you went through your samples and just started layering things till the original song is lost.

But DJ 1 did a better job of controlling his hats, so he gets my vote.

GSingh

DJ 2's snare made my ears bleed.

DJ 1's decision to not keep the vocals centered kept making me turn to the right to try to correct that... def made me think my headphones were broken on one side.

DJ 1 takes it for this match up.

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
Not gonna lie I liked the idea that DJ 1 had, I just think the execution wasn't there. Work on a more crisp bass line and of course bring out the vocals more. Make sure the main track is the main attraction throughout the sample. Your buildups in my opinion were on point and you really did a lot to change the original mood of the song, which is why my vote goes to you.

DJ 2- Really just echoing what everyone else has said, but try to bring down the hats/snares a lot more. I did like your baseline much better than DJ 1's but it's really pointless to have such a crisp sounding baseline if the rest of the beat isn't done right. In terms of the idea, I felt like this was just throwing a bunch of hats/kicks/snares onto Dushmani without really affecting the mood of the song like DJ 1 was able to do. Another big thing that I noticed were the transitions into the drops. The first one was the one at :44. By bringing in Maad City vocals behind the main vocals, it kinda draws attention away from what should be the main attraction of the sample, but idk that's just me. The transition at 1:10 is also unecessary in my opinion just cause the buildup isn't there. For that beep to work, you gotta make that buildup better.

MohitoK

I vote DJ 1, but the mix didn't bring much new to the table that I don't already hear over and over again from mixes on Soundcloud.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
My vote: DJ 1

Honestly, both mixes were pretty bad, so it was just picking the lesser of the two.

One thing that I absolutely hate is when DJ's add a ton of samples & effects that overpower the vocals of the original song. Both mixes did this. This was an issue & a downfall for a lot of mixers in last year's ladder too, so please work on not ruining the original songs by adding a bunch of useless high hats, cymbals, etc. TegHans was spot on with his comments/feedback on this.

I'm a huge fan of the original song, so it was extra painful for me to listen to these bad mixes, lol.

DJ 1 had better concepts. The intro and build up was decent (mainly because you could actually hear the vocals, lol). After about 0:19 seconds though, I am not sure what went on.. everything sound too mashed up. I like the "I only have one question" sample, but it could have been used better imho. After 0:38, the mix got crazy annoying again. After 1:01, I really like the build up and drop with the outro.. I just wish you had ended it with going back to the original song. To sum it up, there were moments of your mix that I liked/had good potential.. while other moments were just awful.

DJ 2 - I like the concept on your intro a lot better than DJ 1, but I wish you had used that slow vocal buildup to your advantage. You can have panned the audio from left to right & then back to the center for an added an affect. Also, maybe immersing the listener as if he's in a large hall by adding some reverb could have been cool. After 0:33, the added sample was just completely off-key. I didn't enjoy the flow of it into the "beep"sound, which sounded very amateurish. Your mix also had a lot of problems with EQ and compression. Why was the mix so loud sounding compared to DJ 1's? I found your mixes to be overly compressed and there being a lack of dynamic range. I understand wanting to add in the bass to the low end of your mix, but I feel that ambition led you to not EQing properly to bring out the rest of the frequency bands. Your highs were honestly hurting my ears by the end of the mix. I liked the concept of your outro with the slow down of the vocals, but there were too many other problems that carried over from the rest of your mix to make it hit well.

Hope this helps,

~ Basim :)

ksxi

17 / UK - I like Bhangra (kinda)
MundaPKVailatiDaru said:
if someone wants to enter the mix ladder and participate, how do they enter?
I found a link in the DM from a mod a while ago, I signed up using that, not sure if I can share the link because it was sent privately, I suggest asking a ladder mod or check your old DMs regarding the mxiing ladders

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.