• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

OFFICIAL Bhangra in the Burgh 2008 Results/Discussion

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Congrats to all the teams! Can't wait to see VCU and Rutgers live next week, and videos of all other teams. All the more excited for boston!
 

rajkaran

Member
Messages
720
I was being moderated by BTF during the comp! hahaha

Results aside, I hope all the teams had as much fun as we did!
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
As someone that pumped this competition pretty hard, I was a bit dissappointed when at the end of the first dance, the BIB committee decided to completely shut the doors down to between 75-100 ticket holders (myself included). A huge planning error being that they had to refund all the tickets on the spot losing money that goes to the charity. There were definitely a bunch of people waiting outside who I am sure have never seen bhangra before and were rather excited for it, its a shame because I'm sure this will be deterring them from attending future competitions. So once that happened I was kinda pissed because my friends and I had been lookin forward to seein a few teams in particular, but from what I heard from the teams...teams were treated well...afterparty was good...good seein whoever I ran into, seemed like everyone was spread out...word on the street is that VCU's routine was a very good one..expect a very similar, improved routine at BBC...

..Tarun was beaming at the afterparty, which means there must not have been any issues with the judging...hhhahaa

Other then that...perhaps I'll see everyone again in boston (oh yeah it could happen)...
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Wait Jeeti you never got in or they actually had to DISPLACE people from seats? :(
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
http://www.thetartan.org/2008/11/10/pillbox/bhangra

Article in CMU's newspaper reviewing Burgh - haha "VCU's dance was unique in the way the dancers slipped in and out of formations." Those slippery dancers! Always slippin' in and out of formations!

jk, and shout out to the co-chairs who did an excellent job. I'll probably post a review soon but overall it was an exemplary comp, everyone had a lot of fun, and it's easy to see why they got a BOB bid (overall, for example I didn't know about the issue Jeeti brought up about people not being let in...that's too bad).
 

Shahrukh

Active Member
Messages
505
a few other things about burgh.....organizers were very nice and generous especially right before we all left for the afterparty (teams should knoo what im talkn about) one complaint i had was that there was no dj at the preparty....in fact vcu was the first team to arrive and for about 20 minutes the only ppl there (no organizers) i was told by the bar owner that the ppl throwing the party were supposed to bring an IPOD..yeah i know.....so some rutgers guy came(forgot ur name bro!) i took his friends iphone and DJd myself...and his iphone didnt have nethn good on it at allllll....as the night went on i got other pplz ipods and had bettr music...this was disappointing cuz i found myself dancn for 2 min then runnin to the iphone nd tryna find anothr song before there was a riot....i just wished they had planned it betr..nontheless it was still fun.....on another note the afterparty was bumpn! dj was amazing whoever he was he played rap hiphop bhangra and mixed it all together.... wish it went longer, amazing party.....shoutout to our liazon (addi) he was amazing
 

Havish

New Member
Messages
250
Congrats to all the teams, and to RU and Drexel for placing.

Overall the competition was very well organized. The committee did a great job with everything and having everything run on time. The mixer was simple and good, basically just feed the teams and gave the info about the competition. Can't say much about the preparty, was empty when i got there, but i had to leave early to take care of stuff, but people told me it was fun at the end. Competition day, everything ran really smoothly, morning rehearsal were on time and then the show also started on time. Afterparty was amazing, they did have some problems getting the teams in (the guy working the front door, I felt your pain, seemed like I was watching myself from AVAP, because the club wasn't listening to the organizers) but I believe all the team got in once the issue was cleared.

On behalf of VCU, want to give a big thanks to the co-chairs and our liaison for all the help this weekend. You guys really did take care of the teams well and where there for us when we needed anything.

To any team in the future thinking about applying, you should because it is def worth going to Bhangra in the Burgh, a competition that actually listens to the teams requests.

Once again congrats to all the team and congrats to the committee for throwing down a great weekend. Thanks again for everything.
 

Kapil

Wear Responsibly 2.0 || One for All...All for FAUJ
Messages
133
sounds like it was a great competition. congrats, and can't wait to see the teams at BBC!
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Jeeti got locked out... now that is hilarious... I would have driven to Pittsburg just to see him locked out....
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Vick said:
Jeeti got locked out... now that is hilarious... I would have driven to Pittsburg just to see him locked out....
hahahahahhhaa....ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
as for the afterparty. I arrived around 1 and there was a huge line...at 1:15 they said "21 and up only, and you need wristbands" so i just waited, tried to get Swi to get me in (that was outside of his jurisdiction) and just hoped for the best. so everyone 21 and up with wristbands got in, last call was 2am so a lot of us just left/went back to hotel/other house parties.

the cop at the door was like, "Back up! If you are on the staircase right now, you are wrong."
 

MPElive

Ehhh Folllkkkkkk Ahhh !!
Messages
323
The pictures of the Mixer/Dinner, Competition and the Afterparty are up on www.MPElive.com as of Wednesday Evening.

I just wanted to thank Bhangra in the Burgh Committee for taking such a good care of us as they did last year. The teams were extremely happy with the hospitality the board provided them. As a Bhangra Competition Organizer, I would recommend more teams to apply to this competition next year. The committe is simply amazing as they actually listen to teams requests.

The bus ride to the afterparty with VCU was something else. Bigups to Arjun, Havish, Nikhil, Benny and everyone who made the night memorable :)
 
Top