• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Official Bruin Bhangra Placings!

vaibhav

Bruin Bhangra was really great this year! Location was pretty good and a good amount of people came out to watch!
The biggest issue was the sound. All we could hear during the first part of the show were effects and bass; it was hard to actually hear the music, but thankfully, the problem was corrected during the second part of the show! Jasmine posted a great review and hopefully mine can be as good as her's :)

The show: Great location, great weather, big crowd = success! Only issue was the sound.

BK - It was great watching BK again. They had a really interesting and fun set to watch, but there were a few mistakes that really took away from the performance. Their gimmick with the masks was really awesome and everyone went wild. Some dancers seemed to lose their energy towards the end of the routine too! The only thing that stopped BK from placing was energy during the end and a few mistakes here and there! Otherwise, they were awesome!

VDW/HPD - Wow! 12 man live set? This was super fun to watch. Seemed like crowd was actually into the performance too. This was by far the cleanest performance of the night. There were very few mistakes, but other than that, this was a great set. I'd love to see more of 12 man set in the future though!

BARB - Good routine, but dancing with 11 sort of took away from the routine! Hopefully everything is alright with the girl who wasn't able to come. Crowd was pretty entertained throughout, but nothing seemed to stand out much! I see a bright future for you gals though :) !

SMD - Great set SMD! You guys started off with great energy, but the energy seemed lessen towards the second half of the routine. SMD had the best routine out of all of the girls teams, but the only thing to work on is ending stronger (maybe a few more gimmicks?) and constant energy! Good luck in the future :)

APD/KJ - This was by far the most hyped performance of the night! The crowd went soo wild just when the MC's announced their names. This routine was great, but compared to the elite8 routine, this was a step backwards. APD and KJ had so much swag; they were really fun to watch, but I was expecting more from the two teams! Loved the old KJ segments that were brought back. I think everyone in the audience was expecting crazy stunts and risky towers, but we didn't see much of that. Congrats on the placing! Hope to see more of this collaboration in the future!

Jawani - Wow! The amount of energy that the Jawani girls had was insane! I think the routine was pretty good, but segments didn't seem to flow well and a few gimmicks (spelling JAWANI) didn't seem to have a big effect! Great new outifts. Wasn't too clean of a routine, but the crowd still loved you gals because of your energy. Great performance :)

AEG - I won't talk specifics on this routine, but WOW! This was by far one of the most innovative routines I have ever seen! Most energy of the night, they were very clean, and they got a standing ovation and chants from the crowd. Nobody was even close in surpassing AEG. Please come back to LA! Definitely deserve going to elite8 with a routine like that! Congrats :)

DRP - They had the best beginning gimmick of the night! They started off with crazy energy and the routine seemed to get everyone off of their seats! The routine went from being very exciting to pretty good! The energy was constant, but the second half of the routine didn't entertain much! I'd only suggest ending stronger; other than that, this was a great routine and congrats on the placing :)

FCB - They started off really strong! Did not expect them to come out with such energy! I think the routine was great, but a few mistakes here and there seemed to take away from the performance. Very fun to watch, and I'm pretty sure they're going to be a big name in bhangra pretty soon!

Overall, this show was great; the judges had alot on their hands on choosing the second and third places because there were atleast 3-4 teams that could've easily taken those spots! Hope that bruin is good next year too :)

Aneeta

Jatt08 said:
Every Single team brought their A-Game. AEG, FCB and Jawani had the most energetic routine and were very clean. Loved the new APD/KJ style. Definitely going in the right direction. BK were at their best as usual. Everyone forgets about DRP till bruin, and then they bring it. They most definitely Had the Best Stunt this year and I don't remember the last time they didn't place at Bruin. BAR-B and SMD were clean but felt like they lacked a bit of energy after I saw Jawani go up. Overall the 2nd half of the show seemed alot more energetic.

VDW/Heeray were the most entertaining and totally showed So-Cal how bhangra is meant to be. Besides one minor mistake that I noticed. It was flawless. I Definitely believe there should have been a tie for 2nd place with APD/KJ. But then again, rarely a live team performs at Bruin and I don't remember the last time a Live team placed in Bruin.

Overall, It must have been a really hard competition to judge.

FYI...VDUB placed 3rd last year and they are a LIVE TEAM. :p

sargam627

F.S.U.
Aneeta said:
Jatt08 said:
Every Single team brought their A-Game. AEG, FCB and Jawani had the most energetic routine and were very clean. Loved the new APD/KJ style. Definitely going in the right direction. BK were at their best as usual. Everyone forgets about DRP till bruin, and then they bring it. They most definitely Had the Best Stunt this year and I don't remember the last time they didn't place at Bruin. BAR-B and SMD were clean but felt like they lacked a bit of energy after I saw Jawani go up. Overall the 2nd half of the show seemed alot more energetic.

VDW/Heeray were the most entertaining and totally showed So-Cal how bhangra is meant to be. Besides one minor mistake that I noticed. It was flawless. I Definitely believe there should have been a tie for 2nd place with APD/KJ. But then again, rarely a live team performs at Bruin and I don't remember the last time a Live team placed in Bruin.

Got emmmmmmms

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
sargam627 said:
Aneeta said:
Jatt08 said:

Got emmmmmmms
Coulda sworn they placed 2nd.

Jatt08

Aneeta said:
Jatt08 said:

Oops, My Bad =]

sgrewal30

Congrats to all the placing teams! I woke up with an I <3 Bhangra wrist band LOL What a great weekend.

BK- went 10! Clean performance. I honestly thought from Giant that they would have Regiment guys bust out from behind the banner LOL The masks at the end were legit. Really creative set. I was mostly pumped cuz Avtar and Sumit were jodis again :D

VDW/ Heeray- Went together really well. I was expecting to be able to tell the Vdub dancers from the heeray dancers but it was not apparent. Moves were clean. Sick jhummar. Formations were not as clean as they usually were. Overall sick.

Barb- Set was similar to Norcals right? I definitely saw improvement. However, I felt mind-fucked when I only saw 11 dancers.

SMD- I loved the california girls dhamaal and the jhummar. Formations started to look less clean towards the end, you could tell by facial expressions some jodis were getting tired.

APD/ KJ- I thought bringing KJ out was so cute because you could see so much excitement in their faces to get to perform again! I liked the dance off towards the end and how you matched jodis so well, they were each perfect for eachother. I thought it would have been sick if you guys brought out some more old school kj segments. Overall, i felt like there was more excitement in the audience than on the stage. I mean you had the ENTIRE venue standing/screaming/chanting apd and kj, so even before the curtains came up I was pumped, like it was going to be an all new everything. OH the vardiyan were siickkk. Congrats on 2nd place!

Jawani- All I'll say is THANK YOU for coming all the way to cali, and putting on a sick performance. I have never been one to praise your previous performances but this one really caught my attention from beginning to end. Being there in the audience with a really good view helped too. You had one jodi, idk their names one girl i think was an ava girl (im assuming from her style) who was SIIIIIIIIICK they were on point the entire performance, hit every mark, had sick ass nakra.

AEG- dude you guys got a standing ovation. 1st place well deserved. The light up mouth pieces, the kunde in the saaps, CLEAN. Even the glides they were so cuuute. You guys came on stage and you could tell from beginning to end how badly you wanted 1st place. When Ankush asked if i saw a mess up, I went quiet because I couldnt even tell there was any, and I was watching like a HAWK. The ending was so sick you had people out of their chairs applauding when you had the 4 dancers finish it. Good job

DRP- I was peeing... :( Sowwie. But, I was told you guys always go ape shit on stage for bruin, so congratulations!

FCB- I only caught the last segment of this performance.... The line for the bathroom was long. GREAT JOB LOVE for learning that set so quickly, you blended in perfectly.

STUDWAL

JAWANI
that was one of the sickest comps ive ever been too all the teams ripped it up ! congrats to all those who placed ! and thanks navkarn i know u lobe me :)

Bharathi

On behalf of Jawani Bhangra I'd like to thank not only the organizers but all the other teams for a wonderful weekend and the CROWD for the amazing love and support we felt during the performance, it felt like a home crowd to us!!!

As previously stated all the teams I watched were exceptional so I would have had a hard time in the judges seat...Congrats to the placing teams!!! APD/KJ's collabo was a special treat for us to watch, and I'm glad I got to watch it live even though It was from side stage. I can't wait to see all the videos :)

I just want to especially thank friends who came through for us this weekend, you know who you are :) and SGrewal, we love AVA girls but we did not have the opportunity to have any of them on stage with us at Bruin. You know what they say about people who make assumptions!!!

Manjot_1821

i knew aeg would take it they always come out with creative sets. good job! congrats to all the placing teams!

campy614

It's been two days and no one has bitched about the placings. I'm thoroughly shocked.

CONGRATS BOYS!! So proud of you guys. Keep working hard!

HarmanSingh

campy614 said:
It's been two days and no one has bitched about the placings. I'm thoroughly shocked.

Allow me to be the first to say something about the placings. It is clear KJ/APD placed on hype and reputation/it being their crowd. Heeray deserved a spot in the top 3.

rampur209

After watching all the videos Vdub/Heeray should have placed no doubt. I know people will say its bruin blah blah blah at the end of the day its still a bhangra comp. better teams should place which i think AEG had the first place on the lock.

KJ n APD style of bhangra never appealed to me i knew they were going to place regardless because of the KJ comeback and being in LA the crowd was going crazy when they even did the simple things like pick up the dang's or saap not hating on the KJ or APD its not what comes to my mind when i think Bhangra.

Bhangra knights were sick specially that avtar was back on stage dancing him n sumit make a sick as jodi. They had couple of small mistakes as the guy in the yellow when the red jodi was throwing him the dang he was 1-2 steps behind because he was fixing his vardi.

AEG: They were sick and had the crowd behind them from the second they got on stage. All the gimmicks hit and the crowd loved it specially the lights on the jhummar. Didnt expect farhan to be our dholi of all people.

My personal Placings:
1. AEG 2. Vdub / Heeray 3. BK again not saying none of the placing didnt describe it. I am saying this is who i would have placed if i was judging

They should have just hired Jasbir to be the guest artist as ikagar said boy got vocals.

Best dholi: sukhi dholi hands down
Best Dress: Jawani girls (loved the lakers Purple n Gold)
Best Stunt: AEG light thing on Jhummar / going in to the crowd at the ending didnt see that coming

nb0913

HarmanSingh said:
campy614 said:

Allow me to be the first to say something about the placings. It is clear KJ/APD placed on hype and reputation/it being their crowd. Heeray deserved a spot in the top 3.
Agreed. They might be legends as one of the old school teams who made bhangra what it is today, but that was not a 2nd place worthy performance in my opinion. Stopped dancing entirely at least 5 times and just walked around. That's only badass the first time.

Veeray deserved at least 3rd.

Just my opinion though..