• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Re: Desi Dhamaka Updates

ban3rg

yeah that's the thing, gabar. this is a very interesting predicament. lineups can get repetitive.

Maybe they should have just said "teams with no previous experience are especially encouraged to apply." Or, like, "teams that have been to 4 or fewer competitions, or have been founded within the past two years should apply." something like that - this would have fallen under his vision. It should have been marketed/announced as a comp. for up and coming teams, basically saying "experienced, decorated teams need not apply. this is a comp. for new, fresh faces...etc"

but then they wanted some experienced teams, some new some old...so just say that! every comp says "we will only be selecting 8/10/12 (whatever the number) teams." so DD could have said "we will be choosing 3 experienced teams, 3 completely new, unitiated teams, and 3 mid-level teams or something....whatever...could have solved a lot of problems...

Chidiya

Arjun said:
yeah that's the thing, gabar. this is a very interesting predicament. lineups can get repetitive.

Maybe they should have just said "teams with no previous experience are especially encouraged to apply." Or, like, "teams that have been to 4 or fewer competitions, or have been founded within the past two years should apply." something like that - this would have fallen under his vision. It should have been marketed/announced as a comp. for up and coming teams, basically saying "experienced, decorated teams need not apply. this is a comp. for new, fresh faces...etc"

but then they wanted some experienced teams, some new some old...so just say that! every comp says "we will only be selecting 8/10/12 (whatever the number) teams." so DD could have said "we will be choosing 3 experienced teams, 3 completely new, unitiated teams, and 3 mid-level teams or something....whatever...could have solved a lot of problems...
you are ABSOLUTELY right Arjun, they should have done that. But it is a new comp..it's not a comp with experienced committee members (total assumption on the committee members part). It's all a learning process and I think we as INDIANS forget that.

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
duuuuudes.

Anil, you probably should never spill drama on BTF....you get too many comments from the peanut gallery that way and no one even REALLY knows what went on.

I commend you for making this a competition for teams that don't usually get to compete. Why is everyone so bent out of shape about that? There's TONS of competitions. Yea sure, maybe other committee members went out and recruited "better" teams but they didn't get in, they probably don't really care, and now they are moving on with their lives and applying elsewhere. It should never have been implied in the first place that they WOULD get in.

Why does everyone else here have to be involved in your business...it's your competition, choose whoever you want. People are giving all that BS about your audience paying to come and blah blah but by the looks of it, the audience is going to be family/friends of local teams around the area. This isn't Canada people, I think they will be just fine.

Temurzai

Gabar Singh said:
Arjun said:

you are ABSOLUTELY right Arjun, they should have done that. But it is a new comp..it's not a comp with experienced committee members (total assumption on the committee members part). It's all a learning process and I think we as INDIANS forget that.
lol wat do u mean 'we as indians'

Chidiya

Taiym?r said:
Gabar Singh said:
Arjun said:

lol wat do u mean 'we as indians'
lol. fine and this Persian too.

No jokes apart, I don't see this kind of stuff w/ my other friends it's always Desi people

psoni1

Tuckerrrr said:
hey guys, i'm starting a new competition. i want all teams to apply; it will be great. please send us ur tryout videos and registration. we will be selecting the worst 12 teams based on the tryout videos. it will be an amazing show, so please get your tickets before we sell out!

haha jk

:)

but foreal, good luck with ur competition
as a member of one of the teams who was accepted, i'm really offended by comments like these...even if you were just kidding, theres no need to put down new teams who are trying to make a name for themselves...we had nothing to do with the selection process...i think everyone should just accept what's happened and move on

jvirk

seriously i agree w/ u psoni1...i mean those of u critics who are gona keep on going on w/ this..go get a life...that stuff shud be over with now and hopefully we can all just move past it and lets see how it pans out..tuckerrrr u are a jackass for that comment...

Akshay

guys this is ridiculous. bashing on someone cuz they actually had the balls to do/say which no one did..good job. people like tucker and gagan, u guys are setting great examples by posting such ignorant comments and degrading bhangra. you do have the right to speak your mind but talk with some sense guys. as much as this is none of my business and i can say that MY TEAM did not get into the comp. i dont hold it against the organizers or anyone.
Instead of criticizing one, give them a chance to prove what they are trying to do. Do you know the whole situation of what really happened? I dont think so. Hold your horses and think before you say something.

I bet everyone or almost everyone on this forum is on a team or desires to be on one day and people coming out and bashing straight up is a slap on the face of all the teams who work their ass off in making routines/mixes and what not. If not anything appreciate what you have. I personally had the chance to talk to anil, and I believe he does have a point and deserves a valid chance. If nothing we will learn out of this comp.

peace in the middle east

akshay

Don

Akshay said:
guys this is ridiculous. bashing on someone cuz they actually had the balls to do/say which no one did..good job. people like tucker and gagan, u guys are setting great examples by posting such ignorant comments and degrading bhangra. you do have the right to speak your mind but talk with some sense guys. as much as this is none of my business and i can say that MY TEAM did not get into the comp. i dont hold it against the organizers or anyone.
Instead of criticizing one, give them a chance to prove what they are trying to do. Do you know the whole situation of what really happened? I dont think so. Hold your horses and think before you say something.

I bet everyone or almost everyone on this forum is on a team or desires to be on one day and people coming out and bashing straight up is a slap on the face of all the teams who work their ass off in making routines/mixes and what not. If not anything appreciate what you have. I personally had the chance to talk to anil, and I believe he does have a point and deserves a valid chance. If nothing we will learn out of this comp.

peace in the middle east

akshay
AMEN

Ramani

Akshay said:

peace in the middle east

akshay
aho +1

gdholi7

Akshay said:

peace in the middle east

akshay
how am i degrading bhangra? i just said my 2 cents thats all :)

- Raja -

you can have the sickest comp ever lol..what i dont get is your acceptin new teams but allowing only 2-3 TOP teams to come, then what are the new teams battling for? im not sayin new teams DONT place, but more experiencedd teams i.e AEG do have a SERIOUS advantage. mix it up throw some big teams in there and some new ones so they can get some stage experience or who knows they might just come with a BANG! or the only ppl in the audience is gonna be the dancers mom n dad who are prolly gonna dip after seein there kid perform.

Tuckerrrr

Akshay said:

peace in the middle east

akshay

calm down guys....akshay, jvirk, whoever else....i wasnt making fun of the teams, just the method of accepting teams. im not saying u guys are the worst teams selected, def. not--he spread it so there were "the best," "the middle," and "the worst." i know he didnt pick only the worst teams. i was just making a point that i think his method in selecting teams is flawed. i wish success to ur guys' teams, stop getting so worked up over humor.

Akshay

Tuckerrrr said:
Akshay said:

peace in the middle east

akshay

calm down guys....akshay, jvirk, whoever else....i wasnt making fun of the teams, just the method of accepting teams. im not saying u guys are the worst teams selected, def. not--he spread it so there were "the best," "the middle," and "the worst." i know he didnt pick only the worst teams. i was just making a point that i think his method in selecting teams is flawed. i wish success to ur guys' teams, stop getting so worked up over humor.

hahah tucker my team wasn't selected. But dude if it was in humor, its all good. the process does seem to have a bias towards new teams but as audience we're just not used to seeing those kind of line ups. always expect the best of the best. It'll be interesting to see what we learn out of this comp.

anyways all in the name of bhangra and love.

peace

oJaLa

Bhangra makes the world go round
Competitions like these are great cause they give all of the new underdog teams a chance to show what they've got. If we keep having comps with the same teams, yes everyone will go and be super pumped up, but it'll keep the American/Canadian bhangra circuit minimal. I

If you're looking to go to a competition to be amazed by the same teams that have been ruling the circuit for the past few years then there's plenty of comps out there such as bruin, boston, SoCal, etc.

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
to add on...
How often does a team change their routine? It is kinda annoying when "top" teams either do the same routine throughout the year or even add some from the previous year. Seeing it twice is okay but how many times can you see it? Yes new teams are not as exciting but no harm in seeing what they got.

Keep up the good work Dhamaka.

sumeetj

Honestly, I see team names on the list such as AEG, Anakh Punjab De, Boston Bhangra, and possibly even UVA who are all well-known teams. AEG has won a competition and placed at Masti, UVA has been to many big competitions such as Burgh.

I really don't see how this competition can be seen as being boring or not high-level. Its no Bhangra Masti or DDA, obviously, but I think everyone might as well show some support instead of putting it down.