• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

SoCal Gidha Competition

ramanchadha

New Member
Messages
12
Creators of SoCal Bhangra Competition
presents
First Ever Gidha Competition in Los Angeles

SOCAL Gidha

Nov 22, 2008

www.SoCalGidha.com
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
First place prediction: Raunak Vehre Di will steal the festival. Do it up Nicky and Sonia!
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
I can believe I'm gunna say this, but I'd rather watch the WNBA over gidha... haha..
 

hkgidha

HK GIDHA
Messages
78
Vick said:
I can believe I'm gunna say this, but I'd rather watch the WNBA over gidha... haha..
I take it you do Bhangra because it is fun and it is a part of our culture. Well to educate you a little, Gidha is a part of our culture that is dying down. We need to help and encourage the people that are actually trying to make it happen rather than bash them or insult them. I don't have anything against co-ed or all girl bhangra teams, but Bhangra actually is a males dance from Punjab. Gidha was made for women from Punjab. If you don't know a thing or two maybe you should ask someone.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
So are gidha comprised of female dancers that couldn't make it onto actual bhangra teams? hahaha... just curious...
 

hkgidha

HK GIDHA
Messages
78
Vick said:
So are gidha comprised of female dancers that couldn't make it onto actual bhangra teams? hahaha... just curious...
To tell you the truth, Gidha is actually a harder dance to perform than Bhangra. In Gidha each individual is singing LIVE and dancing at the same time, which I'm sure your CD BHANGRA doesn't make you do. Proper Gidha teams perform live and proper bhangra teams do as well. Maybe you should really look into asking someone so you don't make a fool out of yourself when it comes to the Punjab culture. You dig??
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
hkgidha said:
Vick said:
So are gidha comprised of female dancers that couldn't make it onto actual bhangra teams? hahaha... just curious...
To tell you the truth, Gidha is actually a harder dance to perform than Bhangra. In Gidha each individual is singing LIVE and dancing at the same time, which I'm sure your CD BHANGRA doesn't make you do. Proper Gidha teams perform live and proper bhangra teams do as well. Maybe you should really look into asking someone so you don't make a fool out of yourself when it comes to the Punjab culture. You dig??
So I guess my question is, why would a girl choose to be on a gidha team over a bhangra team? Let's be real here, watching 2-3 min gidha routine is hard enough, watching a 3 hour show would be torture... If I cared about gidha enough I would invest more time into learning about it, but honestly, I don't care... haha...
 

hkgidha

HK GIDHA
Messages
78
So I guess my question is, why would a girl choose to be on a gidha team over a bhangra team? Let's be real here, watching 2-3 min gidha routine is hard enough, watching a 3 hour show would be torture... If I cared about gidha enough I would invest more time into learning about it, but honestly, I don't care... haha...
[/quote]

Well, if you did not show any interest you would not be wasting so much of your valuable time to comment on a posting that didn't pertain to you. Also, Bhangra was meant for MEN and Gidha was meant for MALE AND FEMALES. You have Malwai Gidha teams and you have traditional gidha teams. Bhangra was intended for men, but the western culture changed the routine of it. Bhangra is done with algoze, dhol, chimta and a singer not popping in a CD and dancing to the routine. There is so much technicality behind the two traditional dances from Punjab, which are BHANGRA AND GIDHA.

Punjabonline says it very nicely: Primarily men performed Bhangra, while the ladies performed their own fierce, yet elegant, dance called Giddha.

I am just focusing on the roots of Punjabi culture. So get your facts together. Also, why even bother to message here?! Plus you might want to get in touch with some TRADITIONAL bhangra teams and they might help give you a better understanding of what BHANGRA really is. ::)
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
hkgidha said:
Well, if you did not show any interest you would not be wasting so much of your valuable time to comment on a posting that didn't pertain to you. Also, Bhangra was meant for MEN and Gidha was meant for MALE AND FEMALES. You have Malwai Gidha teams and you have traditional gidha teams. Bhangra was intended for men, but the western culture changed the routine of it. Bhangra is done with algoze, dhol, chimta and a singer not popping in a CD and dancing to the routine. There is so much technicality behind the two traditional dances from Punjab, which are BHANGRA AND GIDHA.

Punjabonline says it very nicely: Primarily men performed Bhangra, while the ladies performed their own fierce, yet elegant, dance called Giddha.

I am just focusing on the roots of Punjabi culture. So get your facts together. Also, why even bother to message here?! Plus you might want to get in touch with some TRADITIONAL bhangra teams and they might help give you a better understanding of what BHANGRA really is. ::)

hahaha... Ok, so let me begin by saying that I KNOW the difference between gidha and bhangra... I cant believe your questioning that, iv been in the scene long enough to learn a few things here and there...

Gidha is NOT fierce.. hahaa... wtf? I've always wondered why some coed teams put gidha routines in, it was probably to get the girls more stage time since most of the time the guys owned the stage...

My best buddy is probably the biggest traditional freak on the planet, trust me I know what traditional bhangra is... Even his farts are dhol beats.. hahahaha... Your a newbie, with time you will learn the BTF ways...
 

Nicky

New Member
Messages
20
Meistro said:
First place prediction: Raunak Vehre Di will steal the festival. Do it up Nicky and Sonia!
AWWWW SHAAN!! We always try to steal the festival, but we can't do it without u ;)
 

ramanchadha

New Member
Messages
12
I think we should give equal importance to both Bhangra and Gidha.

Both are part of our culture that we are trying preserve and we should be proud of them.
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Vick said:
My best buddy is probably the biggest traditional freak on the planet, trust me I know what traditional bhangra is... Even his farts are dhol beats.. hahahaha...
wow vick, thats the biggest compliment anybody has ever given me. i love you too buddy. hahaha
 

GidhaRani

Member
Messages
86
"Gidha is NOT fierce.. hahaa... wtf? I've always wondered why some coed teams put gidha routines in, it was probably to get the girls more stage time since most of the time the guys owned the stage..."

A lot of people (esp. 2nd genners) feel the way you do because

a.) What they've been exposed to isn't the quality, energetic gidha - it's either bibiyaan trying to be nostalgic or girls who don't know how to do gidha doing girly type moves to "Gidha Pao Kurhiyo" or the gidha tracks from "Jee Aayaan Nu". No one who sees the really good stuff can help but be going nuts when they're watching it.

b.) They don't understand the language well enough to understand the boliyaan so they don't get the joke if it's a funny boli or they don't understand the cleverness of the boli

c.) They don't know the culture well enough to understand the boliyaan - a lot of people who got into bhangra or punjabi-type things in college read up on it (that's why I read all these pseudo-intellectual arguments about saaps and stuff), but aside from that they don't really know the culture very well, so cultural references in boliyaan or certain idioms in the language are lost on them.

I think gidha competitions are a good idea - maybe it'll finally bring around some good gidha and lalloos who talk smack about it will finally be shut down.
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
hkgidha said:
Well, if you did not show any interest you would not be wasting so much of your valuable time to comment on a posting that didn't pertain to you. Also, Bhangra was meant for MEN and Gidha was meant for MALE AND FEMALES. You have Malwai Gidha teams and you have traditional gidha teams. Bhangra was intended for men, but the western culture changed the routine of it. Bhangra is done with algoze, dhol, chimta and a singer not popping in a CD and dancing to the routine. There is so much technicality behind the two traditional dances from Punjab, which are BHANGRA AND GIDHA.
Okay like no offense HK I love you and I'm so glad you joined BTF, but like umm bhangra was not handed down from God. It wasn't "made" or "intended" for any particular gender. Sure traditionally males performed it and they made it up, but that's just how history and tradition was. Not bringing down the significance of that at all. But 8 guys didn't get together and "create" bhangra one day so you can't say who it was "made" or "intended" for. We can only say bhangra has happened to be male in history and tradition.

^ This not even directed at HK. Just a point in general...

Although I would like to argue that historically it has been performed by males, and traditionally it has been performed in certain ways. i.e. The moves you do are traditional but who does it is just trend in history. If 8 girls do the exact same moves as Khalsa College and execute the same, is that not "traditional"...? Tradition is in actions-ways of doing things. History may be in characters.

Think logically on this one for a minute.
 
Top