• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

TAG @ Bhangra in the Burgh 2012

amancheema

Karan P Singh said:
faizan said:
Agree with aman: always have felt that TAG's music selection is too obscure, and sometimes, even bizarre.

I think TAG can add about 10-15% on overall impact if it picks songs that hit a little better...

... What do you mean a little better, the song choice is sick, Majority of these songs a lot of people havent heard of. Nothing wrong with being creative when it comes to music because a lot of these songs teams are gonna start using. atleast there not doing jhummer to a hindi or gujurati song

this champion is preaching everywhere ... chup ni hunda

HarmanToor

Nachde Yaar Punjab De
I actually like the song selection. Its great when team mixers put in that extra bit of effort to find uncommon tracks, for me it just adds to the performance. When you're remixing mainstream songs, it almost feels meaningless because 100 other remixers already killed the track so regardless of how well you mix it it won't have that first time hype to it, whereas when you remix some track you dug up from 2002 that nobody has ever heard of and you kill the mix, the level of satisfaction you get from making that piece, it's a damn good feeling and it just makes you that much more excited for the competition.

It's also a lot harder to find/remix obscure tracks, so you'll probably come out a better more skilled remixer at the end of it. It's win win imo but to each his own. I dont think music plays a big role in placing either.

/e forgot to add, mainstream musicians are getting better year by year in terms of music quality (not vocals) so the odds of you enhancing a brand new track to make it better is pretty low, most people just end up ruining it

Dj ASG

I understand where you guys are coming from about the new songs and how some people may prefer known songs rather than new underground songs. I personally get songs in advance and get to hear them before they come out, and i can predict what songs all the dj's will be mixing and using, so i avoid using those tracks. I dont fancy using songs that are played out, or even on the verge of being played out. Tag wants to use unique songs that are not only different, but consist of good lyrics, khadak desi, and a catchy melody/tempo. Using music that all teams use doesn't bring tag out as being a different team. In addition, uk music is nice, but its not a personal preference. This is because they are very typical and project the same meaning throughout every song. I like to use traditional folk songs. Also, i make my mixes accordingly, not so that the audience pays attention to the mix, but more so the performance itself. Either or, we choose to be different by displaying a different song selection, and that is what tag is. I prefer songs that hold different meanings, different lyrics with different tempo, and i feel uk music tends to lack that. This may be a personal challenge but i like playing with my music and tweaking it to make it into good bhangra music. It may be a risk but it hasnt failed me. In addition, these songs are not just given to me, they require hard work and effort to search for them, sometimes it takes me days but when i find something i love, i make good use of it and mix it in a way that it brings tag out. I want to also bring out underground talent and showcase their work in the bhangra world as oppose to the artists that are already known to the public. When i do choose their music, i go out of my way and make the effort to contact the artist and thank them since their talent usually goes unrecognized. If I were to sit here and take the same tracks as other team I would be going against our team motto `THINK DIFFERENT` All in all, i just dont prefer mainstream uk music. im not writing this to bash on anyone else's music peference, but just simply trying to state TAG's personal peference. who knows this might be the reason why we dont place higher or the crowd doesnt get into it as much.. but this is tag and its always been like this. Also need to keep ranting about the topic but I think to each their own... everyone has different taste but everytime TAG competes and we have a judges debrief session I have always been complimented on the song selection. I have been told the music is fresh new and something you want to download right after the comp. I have an ear for special talent and I ensure that the song selection is always something new and fresh and that will have the audience thinking to themselves what song was that that TAG used...

im going to post all the songs we used at burgh and if you listen to surma(our first khunda song) you will know what im talking about.

TAG leads the way... in the past we have been criticized about our construction pylon markers and today so many teams use them... Always setting new trends...:)

Karan P Singh

sangeensingh said:
Karan P Singh said:
faizan said:
Agree with aman: always have felt that TAG's music selection is too obscure, and sometimes, even bizarre.

I think TAG can add about 10-15% on overall impact if it picks songs that hit a little better...
atleast there not doing jhummer to a hindi or gujurati song
This statement is going to cause some panga

Lol I don't get this shit son Threads are starting that apparently I started, all these comments being dropped that I have no idea of... Chaaaaloo Not intended for panga tho chaaalo again

Karan P Singh

amancheema said:
Karan P Singh said:
faizan said:

... What do you mean a little better, the song choice is sick, Majority of these songs a lot of people havent heard of. Nothing wrong with being creative when it comes to music because a lot of these songs teams are gonna start using. atleast there not doing jhummer to a hindi or gujurati song

this champion is preaching everywhere ... chup ni hunda

I wrote some comments here n there and thats it so Idont really know where youre coming from I'm just saying the song choice here is different and unique which people have already said so Im not going to ellaborate on it. im just saying i love the mix overall

PartyJatt

TAG has obviously created their own style and has gotten the team far. Not everyone is going to like someones style, but what matters is how the dancers feel about the style. If they like it, then they're going to enjoy performing and be more creative. If not, they can easily leave or not have fun dancing. I'm honestly a fan of TAG's style. ASG, your mixes are different then those currently being used. In my opinion, the mix is all hype and is constant throughout (excluding jhoomer). This can be both a positive and negative thing. For the song selection, I love that you're not using mainstream songs. I honestly don't like mainstream music and I'm in favor of underground music.

TAG has come far and will continue impressing the circuit.