• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Texas Results

Neha

Member
Messages
51
kinnell said:
AnkurK said:
detailed reviews anyone?
Tomorrow.

And they randomly had a best dancer award. A girl on Bruin got the best female and Lovepreet (I think) from LSD got it for best male.

Back to festivities... :)
yay lovepreet! lol and congratss lsd - cant wait to read the reviews and see the vids from the competition :)
 
Messages
297
Ah shit Gajjde Gabroos!! Also Big Ups to GMU Bhangra!! Props to LSD and Panj Girls also! How many teams competed in each category?
 

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Messages
1,270
Sukhdip S. Chhina said:
How many teams competed in each category?
5 modern, 2 live. Reviews:

NJM: I danced for them so idk. we were def sloppy tho

GG: Missed them cuz we were first and they were 2nd, but I heard they had good good energy.

Panj: Sick. These girls ripped that stage a new one. There were some instances where some dancers didn't finish moves and lacked energy, but everything else was ill. It was a what we expect from a Panj performance. Choreo was good, formations were hit, overall really really good performance. Well worth a 2nd place, but coulda been 1st in modern.

Texas: Modern team that had the crowd with them. All of the dancers can dance, but the execution was lacking. When I see a modern team I expect high energy, all out, big smiles, etc. One dude didn't smile. Moves that you would expect to be big were not big. They looked like they were having fun, but they didn't really get into it (nakhre). I think its a good thing that they did this performance bc they know what they gotta work on before they head to boston. Prince killed it on the mix :D

GMU: These guys are gonna make a splash this year. Their dancers from top to bottom, girls and boys, were excellent. Choreo was legit, formations were clean, and they had really good energy. Nakhre coulda been better from the team overall. Well deserving of a first place prize. These guys are for real. Much improvement from their performance at Desi Dhamaka. Shout out to Gurpreet, Justin, Gifty, and Amar and that very comfortable taxi ride from the airport. ;)

UCLA: Good performance, i was feelin the new vardi and the double fade in the chadra. The one girl in green raped that stage. Overall team execution was very good. I dont think the choreo stood up to the rest.

LSD: First off, their vardiyaan are so nice. The vests and paghs look amazing. By far this team was the most talented. Everyone in the band did well. The part that hit the hardest was the chaal/jugni segment to the nak da koka boli. It was amazing. Their choreo was very creative. Execution was top notch. But their energy wasn't there. Everyone was together and did the same moves the same way, but they didn't have the all out energy. Their prop segments were kinda slow too. But it was amazing to watch. It was like the dance was too graceful which is why i'm guessing they got 2nd. Again i missed GG so i really cant compare. I just know that these guys were amazing and we should expect nothing less from them the rest of the year.

Props to Rupinder for doing 90% of the organizing of the competition. Well done for doing it solo.
 

Don

New Member
Messages
529
If anyone has a video of GMU can you please not post it at this time. Please email it to me at jdp.singh1@gmail.com
Thanks
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Teams Reviews:

Lalkaarey Jehre Maardey (Displayed as Nakhre Jehre Maardey): We had our first full-team practice at 1 AM the night before the competition. So, yeah, we were noticeably messy. Please do not post the video. I will post it up later this year. We came to Texas to get our dancers some experience, have fun and experience the famed Southern Hospitality. We got to do all that and more.

Gajdi Gabroo: I unfortunately was unable to see this team. These guys drove TWENTY TWO hours for this competition so any team that starts whining about long car rides to competitions need to learn from these ballers. Shoutouts to Lavesh, Arjun and Abhi!

PANJ Girls: These girls were so fun to watch live. Great expressions and great energy. Mela scene in the beginning was awesome and formations were great too. One of the girls had their pony tail get loose and it definitely made the dance seem less coordinated (akin to a pagh coming loose). Even then, these girls were not only beautiful on stage but very talented. I hope PANJ girls definitely starts hitting up more competitions.

Texas Bhangra: These guys will be a top modern team this year. There was more folk in this choreo, but it needed folk execution as well. I also felt that your choreo got repetitive a few songs (ie: head down, jhummar steps, explode, crazy formations, new song, head down, jhummar step, explode, crazy formation). Nonetheless, there were parts where the energy was very impressive and formations were creative. (Short girl was phenomenal) Some of the guys definitely do need to smile. The dude with the full beard looked like he was at a funeral. Not a huge fan of the mix, just personal preference. Nonetheless, they have the potential to be a top dog modern team. I can't wait to see you guys in Boston. Shoutouts to Sunny!

GMU Bhangra: Some creative choreography, some good formations and amazing execution. There was some great coordination in this team and this team really hit hard. Watch out for choreo that can be easily identified as another team's choreo, even if it is a variation. (ie: leprauchan kick during jhummer, while different, will always be remembered as SGPD) I can definitely see GMU rising to the status of a tier one collegiate bhangra team this year and look forward to seeing this team at bigger competitions next semester.

UCLA Bruin Bhangra: Damn this team was crazy entertaining. The guys looked just like Sher Foundation (it was probably just the similarity in fits, and the way you tied paghs). Nonetheless, the girls were amazing and the guys had amazing expressions. There were some mistakes here and there but the choreo was creative and the mix was hott.

LSD: The MC got the crowd pumped up by having them shout LSD LSD LSD. I found it really amusing to hear a bunch of kids in the back shout "L-S-D L-S-D L-S-D". The fits were beautiful and execution of steps was amazing. There were some mistakes here and there, but I honestly thought they completely owned their performance. The routine, while staying true to the traditional folk template, was nonetheless creative. Singer started off fine, but I felt he lost his momentum in the middle. Most definitely a tier one live team. Shoutouts to Shahrukh and Waleed.

Placings:

Here is the thing: Us captains were told that there would be just an overall placing for all seven teams. Everyone was surprised when the judges started announcing placings for a traditional and modern category. It seemed the judges, since they were very traditional judges, realized that if there was an overall placing, it would simply match the traditional results (since they are traditional). Since this would have been unfortunate for the modern teams, they decided to make a second category. No argument with this reasoning and I'm very glad Showdown ended up doing this.

I did not get to see GG. Nonetheless, I thought LSD was amazing and killed it. However, such a statement is deceiving since I did not watch all the teams. GG must have been amazing for them to place over LSD (and I'm sure they were since the judges seemed to know what they were talking about).

If there was an overall, I would have placed:
1) LSD
2) PANJ

If there were categories, I would have placed the following teams in the modern:
1) PANJ
2) Bruin

Note: I really believe only one live team should have placed and not both of them. Placing 2 out of 2 teams doesn't seem fair.

Competition Review:

Texas Showdown definitely tried to be bigger than last year and I think they pulled it off. From making sure we got picked up from the airport to making sure we had some water/bananas in the morning, Rupinder tried to make sure everyone was happy and did a good job.

As usual, here is some critique for the competition.

> As amazing as you were Rupinder, you definitely need some more help here and there. It may be helpful to have a printout to give to the teams with the schedule and everything the night BEFORE the competition, so we know what time to go to rehearsal et cetera ahead of time. Less stress for you as well. Information about the afterparty, transportation, dress rehearsal and mixer on a printed sheet makes life so much easier.

> The mixer, which was scheduled to end at 2 AM, as awesome as it sounds, may not be suitable to all teams. Some teams just want to get back to the hotel early so they may start starching paghs, ironing and practicing. Perhaps have more transportation available back and forth.

> Get a new MC. The MC was obnoxious and told really bad jokes. There were families in the audience and asking girls for their numbers on stage, even if you apologize for the badness of joke afterwards, is inappropriate.

> The uncle who spoke in Punjabi. He would talk in Punjabi for 10 minutes after each act. Like after our dance, he talked about how nice it was for there to be non-Punjabis doing bhangra (regarding our dancer Matt). But he talked for over 8 minutes. Each act, he would talk about something different and it made the show unnecessarily twice as long. Instead of having the show end at 10 PM, it ended at near midnight. Just have him talk once and be done with it.

> Stay on dress rehearsal schedule. If a team is late to a dress rehearsal, skip over them. This is a huge pet peeve of mine for competitions that push everything back for a team that arrives late, it really sucks. My team had to stay up the entire night and we just wanted to go through dress rehearsal and get back to the hotel so we could sleep for a few hours. It sucked.

> Having the show end so late made the afterparty very short for most teams. We really wanted to party hard since we had come all the way to Dallas. And definitely get more than just teams to come to the afterparty. Perhaps have a team-only section. That way, people who want to chill with the teams can do so and people who want to dance and/or go on an adventure ;) can do so.

> Please do provide transportation to the afterparty. We paid $16 each person for the entire cab expense and due to the lateness of the show, were only there for 10 minutes. No joke. I can understand reluctance to do so because of liability, but honestly, teams do want to end their competition experiences on a good note. A lot of teams rather not go to a competition, just for the competition and want to party too. Calling a cab and waiting 20 minutes for the cab to show up (hotel not in the city) delays the fun, especially if the competition ended really late.

Props To:

> Sidd (siddyP) and Ram (saab): Thank you guys for dancing for us and breaking your bhangra competition cherry with us. We're glad you guys were willing to stay up the entire night practicing with us and you guys definitely killed it on stage. (Next time, just leave the pump-up speech to the captains ;) JK lolol)

> Ankur (and AEG): Thank you for letting us use your fits for this competition because our new ones didn't arrive in time. Thanks for being accommodating to our time schedule and everything. Occasionally, we would tell people we were AEG Toddlers. And Ankur, you just rock in general. :)

> Rupinder: DAMN GIRL, you were AWESOME. Our new saaps and new kaatos didn't arrive in time, Rupinder made sure we found some to use on stage. We had trouble tying our paghs and she tried to find another team to help us (we ended up tying our own). Definitely tried to make sure everyone was happy and did a great job at it.

> Sunny: Thanks so much for letting us borrow your kaatos and saaps.

> Bruin Bhangra: Thanks so much for letting us borrow some of your saaps.

> Neha (also known as SUPER Liaison): Super. Enough Said.

> Amar: For driving us to the airport! See you in Boston, bro!

And my favorite quote from the night: "Aren't you on BTF?"
 

Nicky

New Member
Messages
20
kinnell said:
Teams Reviews:


PANJ Girls: These girls were so fun to watch live. Great expressions and great energy. Mela scene in the beginning was awesome and formations were great too. One of the girls had their pony tail get loose and it definitely made the dance seem less coordinated (akin to a pagh coming loose). Even then, these girls were not only beautiful on stage but very talented. I hope PANJ girls definitely starts hitting up more competitions.
That was me! =( One of the girls accidently hit me during the "Diva" song so my chuni came off from one side. It sucks cuz I didn't even notice till the end of the routine. Oh well...Thanks for the review! =)
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Prince said:
cool kinnel knows everything in the world about bhangra..your cool man.
Sorry to disappoint you, Prince, but far from it. Just expressing an opinion. (Sorry I didn't like your mix?) Why you gotta hate?
 

Prince

Member
Messages
186
if it was the mix i would have stated that.

I'm in titled to my opinion just as you are and I'll leave it at that.
 

aman dhaliwal

New Member
Messages
139
anyone got lsd's video i wanna see my boys in action....holla at me if u like the vardiyan and want some for ur own.....they were designed by urs truly
 

Ashqe

Member
Messages
610
I was looking at the team line-up thread, and I saw Waris Punjab De in the lineup. Did they compete or did they drop out? I'm just surprised that they weren't in the mix of things after all the hype I've heard of them.
 

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
Messages
932
Ashqe said:
I was looking at the team line-up thread, and I saw Waris Punjab De in the lineup. Did they compete or did they drop out? I'm just surprised that they weren't in the mix of things after all the hype I've heard of them.
They dropped out before the comp!
 
Top