• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

**** Third Place - RU Boyz at Boston Bhangra Competition 2013 ****

SimratG

Hello everyone,This is our third place performance from the past weekend. Huge shout out to the BBC committee for accommodating for us and executing a well organized competition. Big congratulations to DCMPAA and Nachdi Jawani Warriors on 2nd and 1st place, respectively. Let us know your thoughts

Johris
Red/Ferozi: VD & Simrat
Blue/Pink: Gaganvir & Manraj
Yellow/Purple: Sahil & Prabhjit
Black/White: Ankush & Sandeep
Pink/Teal: Nate & Saheb
Green/Orange: Rohan & Sunny

Dholi: Richie
Piano: Harveen

Balcony

RU Boyz 2013

Balcony Modified

RU Boys at Boston Bhangra 2013

Side

Boston Bhangra Competition 2013 -16 RU Boyz

Once again, any feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

Kaur

Good job guys. Very clean and well executed. Shoulder was cute and the ending with the piano was a great touch!

smehta313

BIG shout out and thanks to DJ Sargam. Literally made a change or update every day to the mix until it was due and did a great job.
Also big ups to my brother, Gursimran Singh AKA Gsimz. His touches gave this mix exactly what it was missing and is probably one of the sickest collabs by DJs in a while.

Hopefully these 2 mix together again, but until then thanks again to the both of you.
The whole team truly appreciates both of your hard work.

KChhang

Nice job guys, congrats on your placing! Loved the Breaking Bad bit in the beginning haha.
What song did you use for phumaniyan? I heard it at tech time, and it's been stuck in my head since..

Gopi D

Great mix and great routine ! I felt like I was watching an over the years AEG performance and it worked out really well. You guys always know how to get a crowd going. Song selection was sick but I thought the piano at the end could have been done a little smoother. Maybe start off with the soft beat of dupatta and then when you guys moved up, add a beat to the back and make it hit more as the piano is still playing. Might have got the crowd more into it as well. Other then that, I thought this should have gotten a higher placing at this competition !

oh and ankush, stop dancing ... ;)

Hoya Singh

Overall, I thought this was a good routine but it was missing the usual fire that previous AEG routines had. I know this is RU Boyz now and I definitely appreciate how its more folk but I feel that you guys can still bring back that excitement and flare and still remain folk. Also, I thought the finale could have been better planned. The piano did not hit hard for me at all, possibly because BK did this a few years ago with Violinder. Maybe you guys could have moved it to the middle of the routine so that your finale could have hit harder and ended with a bang.

Anyways it was a solid routine and very clean so congrats on placing!

KushK

Thank you all for the feedback! Just to clarify this is RU BOYZ and this time around we were just short on time and had to bring in some AEG elements given that 6 of us have danced on AEG.

RU BOYZ will be back and with a brand new set next time! Appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming.

himynameis

What do you know...recycle your past placing sets and you place. No need of new ideas guys looks like we've found a solution here -_-

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
I don't think it's fair to say that "some elements are from AEG". This is an AEG routine. Over 80% of the set is from former AEG sets whether entire segments, choreo, formations, gimmicks, vardii stuff (phuman on foot, led phuman) or songs. Yeah, Kudiyan Shehr Diyan is new, Shoulder walk is new, live piano is new and a few new formations, but the performance did little to create a new identity for RU Boyz.

That being said, I really want to see what you guys bring to the next competition as RU Boyz. You have good solid dancers that dance more or less like a unit and with the current capable leadership of the team, you can really be one of the fastest successful teams in the next few years. In terms of choreo, AEG is one of those teams in the circuit that has a long legacy of innovative ideas which makes it sometimes easier for the team to dig deep and bring back an idea or six that was "done first by the team" to re-invent for a current set. This is definitely evident in the last few sets and it can be hard to start over without having this crutch to fall back on. Can't wait to see a fully 100% RU Boyz performance.

In terms of the performance, I enjoyed most of the set. I really liked both the Kudiyan Shehr and Shoulder parts - both were well-thought out and hit hard. The dancing was good and it really looked like everyone was dancing like a unit. Some of the more complicated formation mechanisms needed to be crisper (ie: the rotating pick-up into square) but overall, with a little more control at certain parts, this could be one of the cleanest AE..erm RU Boyz set. I like the "cheeky, playful" vibe that you've got going on whether in choreo, gimmicks, dancing or nakhre - it shows a level of confidence that takes the dancing/performing to next level and gets the audience really engaged/invested into the performance. Finally, I do think that the ending hurt you guys a lot. Dancing in the audience was successful because you go into the audience and get the audience to want to get up and dance as well. Dupatta Tera Sat Rang sounded good but unfortunately it was too "chill" and not hype enough to get the audience into it. It would have been good for another segment because Harveen killed it, but as the last segment, it really sucked the energy out of that ending and leaving an empty stage left a poor final impression and came very close, in my opinion, from taking a trophy away from what I felt was a pretty place-worthy set.

Best of luck, (RU) boyz.

Edit: "next few years" not "last few years"

amancheema

himynameis said:
What do you know...recycle your past placing sets and you place. No need of new ideas guys looks like we've found a solution here -_-

worddddd to big bird you should give it a try bro

sick set boys! sat rang da keyboard was so dope. my one critique is to cut ankush from the team... he sucks and his nakhra makes me uncomfortable

KushK

himynameis said:
Listen man, AEG has always come up with new and innovative ideas for the circuit and our fans. We didn't have as much time as we would've liked. Also a majority of AEG and RU bhangra is one team. I myself go to Rutgers college so I don't see what the problem with any of this is.

Also did you you see NJW do the same Daang swings as NACHDI JAWANI seniors? Guess you missed that right? Its bhangra, we just wanted to make a fun set and have a good time, no biggie.

Kinnell... actually I'm not going to bother. I already told you the dealio, so I'm leaving it at that.

himynameis

Ankush said:
himynameis said:
Listen man, AEG has always come up with new and innovative ideas for the circuit and our fans. We didn't have as much time as we would've liked. Also a majority of AEG and RU bhangra is one team. I myself go to Rutgers college so I don't see what the problem with any of this is.

Dont care if it was an AEG set never mentioned it...idk why you brought it up

Ankush said:
Also did you you see NJW do the same Daang swings as NACHDI JAWANI seniors? Guess you missed that right? Its bhangra, we just wanted to make a fun set and have a good time, no biggie.

Yup, they copied one segment you kids made one segment

Armaan Kapoor

Who cares if there were AEG elements in here, this performance was dope. Shout out to my GSG crew, nice to see that you found that green vardi ;).

Also, VD, your jhummar sucks man. I don't know why they put you in the front.

Rip

When I danced, it was a little frustrating that teams would recycle elements over more than one dance season and be successful. From a collegiate standpoint, when I finally became captain of my team, I wanted to showcase what I could do and not have to rely on the minds of former dancers (not out of disrespect or anything). But then I was stopping myself out of pride, no one else was telling me to avoid using a previous idea. Just as no one else is stopping any other team from doing it. I realized it was one thing to reuse an idea, but another thing to take an idea and improve upon it. If AEG put in the time and effort to come up with a sick segment, as well as take a risk and reap the benefits, they absolutely should be able to incorporate those ideas into a collab team with RU dancers. They earned it.

Now obviously as a viewer, I want to see something different, new, exciting, something that pushes the boundaries. As a judge I would think, alright, I've seen this before and knowing what dancers make up this team, lets see what they can do to change it up. If RU Boyz only used AEG segments and nothing was new, I think it could hurt them in terms of placings, and they would only be doing a disservice to themselves. They know that. Instead, with limited time to make a full routine, they incorporated elements that they liked but kept it fresh, and it looks to have paid off. Did they use too many elements? That really depends on your individual taste.

I guess it's a good idea to be mindful of not over-using a gimmick or segment. But as Ankush said, RU Boyz will be back with a brand new set, and I'm sure it will please the audience just as much as this set did. If AEG dancers have constantly brought out new and exciting things, I don't think they are going to stop now, whether its AEG or RU Boyz or any other team they decide to dance as.

Congrats on the placing guys, excited to see the next one!

arjunK

I'm mad that you guys allowed the junski style haathi chaal in this performance. Rohan killed it.