• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Tiger Woods

Jeeti

Did anyone happen to catch what he did this past weekend and into today?

amazing, he is by far the most dominant athlete of our time.

Jeeti

Neither do I, but when its Tiger...I gotta watch..he won his third U.S. Open fresh off knee surgery in a sudden death playoff...its tough to explain...but one word...

sportscenter.

Havish

Jeeti said:
amazing, he is by far the most dominant athlete of our time.
Got to agree with you. He just doesn't lose and the rest of the field is scared of him. In time he will have all the titles and records.

Vick

1) He's not an athlete, he's a golfer.
2)Barry Bonds is the most dominant athlete/player of our time, yes even more than Jordan. He changed the game of baseball like no other athlete has changed any sport in history. When you walk a player with the bases loaded and sacrifice a run, that is the ultimate respect. Woods is the best golfer of all time, Jordan is the best basketball player of all time, but to be the most dominant, you have to be a little bit better than just "good/best" and thats what Bonds was. You can hate him all you want, but he was the single most feared player in the history of American sports...

sulmoney

smd, bitch
vick my man, even though i think we are the only two people left in the world who enjoy barry bonds, i gotta disagree with you on the jordan front. michael jordan has had a far greater impact on not only his sport, but sports in general than any other athlete, and no one will ever be able to compare to his legacy. i can't remember where i saw this, but michael jordan was the most recognized person in the world, not athlete, person!

Vick

sulmoney said:
vick my man, even though i think we are the only two people left in the world who enjoy barry bonds, i gotta disagree with you on the jordan front. michael jordan has had a far greater impact on not only his sport, but sports in general than any other athlete, and no one will ever be able to compare to his legacy. i can't remember where i saw this, but michael jordan was the most recognized person in the world, not athlete, person!
Money, having an impact on your sport can be looked at in two ways. Jordan was the only reason basketball was making money back in the days, for a while it was so boring, he kept the league alive in the sense that people watched. His impact on the game and his status as a celebrity is second to none, he's far ahead of anyone. But we're talking about a "dominant force", Bonds was far more dominant than Jordan. Everytime he came to plate to bat, you just knew something was going to happen. To hit 73 homeruns in one season is the equivalent of scoring 75 points in a game in my opinion, something Jordan never achieved. Jordan could be stopped, just double team him. Bonds could not be stopped, if they walked him, he would steal second, remember he is the only person to have 500 steals and 500 homeruns in the history of the league. The top 3 guys in the Giants lineup were probably the happiest people on the planet, they knew they were going to get pitches to hit, because if they got walked, everyone knew who was batting 4th. Bonds was also responsible for Jeff Kent winning the MVP one year, it was because of Bonds' presence in the lineup that Kent had the year of his life because he batted in front on Bonds. Bonds was a 7 time MVP, 8 time gold glover, 1 time batting champ and numerous other awards. Bonds was walked like 300 times in one year and still led the league in homeruns, thats like Jordan shooting 60% throughout the year getting double teamed every time he touches the ball... Just so it doesn't sound like I'm hating on Jordan, he's my 4th favorite athlete after Bonds, Jerry Rice, and Steve Young... Hell I met the guy in Daytona Beach a few years ago and I was in such shock that I couldnt utter a single word in front of him... He's probably been trumped by Tiger Woods now as the worlds most famous athlete, but f(*^ tiger...

Mukandpuria

damm Vick you know your baseball

i don't know if this means anything but i know Jordan had an impact in Basketball on numerous players in the NBA...i can remember watching games back in the day and when people ask other player who do you look up to many people say Jordan...or at least I remember a few saying Jordan. I defiantly know he has influencer many basketball players.

didn't really watch much of baseball back then so i wouldn't be able to compare

Sher

Bonds did change baseball, but some of those stats just arent right...he got walked 232 times (almost 70 less then 300) he didnt lead the league in homeruns. Yes, he was a good base stealer early on, but after the steroids/power gain he could not run well. He hasn't stolen more then 10 bases since 2002. Yes, Barry was one of the greatest baseball players of all time, but Id still consider Jordan to be a much better and more influential athlete. Theres no way Barry could sell those many shoes. Also, most of Barry's non-homerun hitting accomplishments were from his early years, his last gold glove was in 98. Jordan was the greatest all around player his entire career.

amriksahni

Regarding Barry Bonds, you can't be considered a good athlete if you cheat (use steroids and drugs). He was quickly forgotten

Regarding Michael Jordan, he rewrote the game of basketball from scratch and changed it forever. His name will always be in lights.

Tiger Woods, my friends, was the "Master", no pun intended, from the moment he came on the scene about 11 years ago. He has won almost every annual tournament that there is in the PGA, in America and abroad. Tiger Woods doesn't need to ask for respect. He earned it.

AmitB

There is no way that barry bonds can even be mentioned in the same sentence as MJ. Jordan could not be "stopped" with a double team so easily. If it was as simple as you're putting it, i doubt they would have won 6 rings. But at the stage of Barry's career that he was doing most of his homerun damage, if you walk him, his threat is over, he wasnt about to steal any bases. I agree barry was a ridiculous player, especially in his lighter days when he was an all around threat, but he became very one dimensional in his steroid years. While he was still good then, and greatly impacted the game, did you ever see the giants win anything? Thats the difference between him and people like MJ and tiger

sulmoney

smd, bitch
amit said it best, the legacy of a player is defined by the championships they won, and barry never won a world series, while jordan has his six and tiger has God knows how many and counting. you can compare it to football, as well, in regards to the quarterback position. greatest statistical quarterback (until peyton breaks all the records and before favre broke a bunch this season)? dan marino. but when people debate who the greatest qb ever was, marino's name is never mentioned because he never won a title, and it is why names like montana and elway come up. for bonds to even be brought up for discussion as the most dominant force in sports, he had to have won a world series. and i realize that in baseball, it is a much more individual sport, but still, he needs that title.

Vick

If Bonds was the "nice" guy that Jordan was, trust me you would be putting them in the same sentence. He was an arrogant guy and hated by the media, he pretty much brougt that upon himself.. His market value is no where near Jordan's for two simple reasons, Baseball globally is not as well recognized as Basketball, and 2) for the reason I mentioned above, Bonds never really marketed himself all that well. I'm not talking about who made more money or who is a better role model, cause the answer to those questions is obvious. I'm talking about changing a sport like no man has ever changed it before... To really understand Bonds' legacy, you had to watch him everyday for 162 games a year, that's something that I did religously. The most hard core Bonds fans could hang right there with the best of Jordan fans. Go ahead an compare their stats, Bonds holds the most hallowed record in American Sports, you know why its the homerun record is given so much respect? Because its hard to achieve that sh*t. If he wasnt walked like a 1000 times over the past decade, he would have hit well over 800 homeruns, I'm sorry thats alot harder to do than any single Jordan stat. Baseball is a true team sport, no one man can win the championship himself. Yes Bonds' legacy will be tarnished with the whole steroids thing and the fact that he doesnt have a ring. Did Bonds' juice up? Sure he did... It hurts like crazy when I think of that sh*t cause Bonds is my favorite athlete and there is no better site than watching him come up to plate and hit one 400 feet... But lets be real here, he loved playing in San Francisco, he wanted the ring in San Francisco, and he didn't get it. He could have easily gone to New York or Boston and won the damn thing, kinda like what Garnett and Allen did by joining the Celtics. Bonds' stayed true to his fans and stayed home. Was it the smart thing to do? Probably not, but I enjoyed watching the best athlete in the world play a level matched by no one...

Sher

"Baseball is a true team sport, no one man can win the championship himself."
I completely agree with that, which is why I dont think Barry Bonds or any other player can change the sport like Jordan has done for Basketball. Barry was a great player but I dont think he was even the best baseball player, while I have no doubt in my mind that Jordan was the best basketball player ever. In my opinion, the most outstanding baseball player was Babe Ruth. He was a career .342 hitter (Bonds is at .298), hit 714 HR (Bonds at 762), had 2217 RBIs (Bonds at 1996) and still holds the career OPS record (bonds is 4th). O yea and Babe was also one of the best pitchers of his time.