• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Top 5 Critiques I Do Not Want to Repeat in 2015

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Happy New Year!

Top 5 Critiques I Do Not Want to Repeat in 2015 :)

# 5. If you’re going to use katos, actually use them. They should be played (tug the string on beat and make the mouth/tail move), moved around while you dance, and made eye contact with.

# 4. Use your modhey (bounce your shoulders) - especially in jugni. Do not rush jugni and do not make dancers move very far, if at all. Also, in slow khunda segments.

# 3. Open up your arms. Stretch out! Extend. Arms should never be at a 90 degree angle.

# 2. Change up the pace, mix up the speed and style of your set. Take your audience on a roller coaster ride with variation in tempo.

# 1. Think outside the box!

;) Thought it'd be a nice time to reflect on the past year of performances. For new teams, #1 would be slow down! Comment any other general critiques so the circuit can keep improving

Sid

Thanks for sharing the critiques and reflections, Mariam. Your points about extension and modhey are critical.

One thing I'd like to add, which I believe is most important of all - enjoy yourself while dancing.

If you're not having fun, why go up there? I'm all for innovation and complexity but at the end of the day the radiance of a genuine smile will win an audience over in a way that nothing else can. Never lose that josh.

desi99

Aruan S.
STOPP ripping sheyars/ shairs on the mic behind a hiphop/rap/dubstep w.e beat or even the mix
only some can pull it off.. otherwise it sounds hilarious and ruins the entire opening ahaha

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
Excellent points Mariam. Seems so basic, but consistently see teams making these mistakes

fanbindrakhiyeda

stop doing gimmicks that make no sense, if you're going to do a gimmick (i prefer no gimmicks) it needs to hit as hard as something like the VCU joker gimmick, otherwise please work on making the team's bhangra better.

Gvirk92

Teams need to stop using stage markers. Get the stage dimensions, mark your stage according to those dimensions wherever you practice and use the dancers to get your formations down, not markers. It really takes away that strong skill from the team. Competitions need to put this in effect.

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Please, let's not turn this into a stage marker debate thread. I'm sure there's one already in the forum to be revived!

I'd love to see more general critiques, "wisdom" especially for newer teams. Love some of the tips added so far

Bballer

hardeep_singh said:
understand your mixes/don't use inappropriate songs

Ridiculous how often this happens. The sad part is there are teams with members that are Punjabi and they still have inappropriate songs.

arnab

Gents: PINS PINS PINS

Pins for chaadra - seen way too many shorts/boxers this year on videos. Remember, the chaadra will flare out quite a bit on a spin so it needs to be pinned well both at the bottom and on the sides. This is particularly impt if you're one of those people that is terrified of having a chaadra fall right below your ankles (which is the correct length).

Pins for turle - floppy turle or turle that are inconsistently shaped make your team look like a bunch of noobs. Take the time to really make sure you get the shape right, and when you tuck in make sure it's tightly secure in the back by the jura and in the front with pins. We usually put two pins in the center and one on either side. I've seen some teams pre-make turle and hold them in place with binder clips until they're going to be used. Could save a lot of time on show day!

These tips ESPECIALLY are for newer college teams. You never get a second chance at a first impression with the judges, and while judging blowout this year I'd say that only half the teams were properly dressed for their performance. Guess what? All three teams who placed were properly dressed. Might be a correlation...

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Great topic and a lot of great points brought up already! I was going to mention #2 from Mariam's original post because that's one thing that I've seen a lot of teams fall victim too.

Another useful tip: Continuously rotate different dancers to the front of the stage or the front of the formations (these are often the main people that are seen by the judges) so that everyone gets proper "face time" to showoff their individual dancing style/talent. It also provides more of a chance for those in the front to interact with the crowd & show off their nakhre. It becomes SUPER boring if people keep the same jori/two joris in the front.

Another point, to go along with what is stated above, is to be consistent with your energy. Going "ham" as you get to the front and then relaxing the entire time while you're in the back is a big NO NO. Modern day, good judges will pick up on these minute details.. and that's what causing many teams to loose a few points here & there... which could be the difference between placing or not placing (or placing higher).

~ Basim :)

campy614

Basim said:
Another useful tip: Continuously rotate different dancers to the front of the stage or the front of the formations (these are often the main people that are seen by the judges) so that everyone gets proper "face time" to showoff their individual dancing style/talent. It also provides more of a chance for those in the front to interact with the crowd & show off their nakhre. It becomes SUPER boring if people keep the same jori/two joris in the front.

YESSSS!
There's so many benefits to doing this.

1) It enables the person doing formations to do formations that flow from one another, and actually make sense.
2) Which will be visually appealing to the audience and to the judges
3) It makes dancers happy. I can't tell you how many times "Yo why don't I get any front time" has caused drama on a team...
4) It forces dancers to be good all-around dancers.
5) It enables conversation between dancers.
... and so many more that I really type at this very second.

And yes to thinking outside the box!

SGupta7

Teach your younger/newer dancers how to handle vardi malfunctions on stage! Some things can be danced through (poorly tired chadren, various things coming unpinned, etc,) depending on severity, but once your malfunction becomes a distraction, dance off stage and fix it!

Can't stress this enough for paagan. Seen far too many mistakes with paagan over the past few years that go totally unaddressed during the performance. It's distracting and takes away from all the hard work you've put in as a team and individual!

Kaur

Make 2015 a year of memories and experiences rather than a focus on collecting pieces of plastic which will end up doing nothing but collecting dust in your basement 8yrs from now and you'll have to think twice about where each one even came from. (True story). If you're bringing new dancers into the circuit please insert an eagerness to perfect the art form in them more than an eagerness for placings.

Ps... Chadre chadre, lift those legs oh and chadre.

campy614

Hkiran said:
Make 2015 a year of memories and experiences rather than a focus on collecting pieces of plastic which will end up doing nothing but collecting dust in your basement 8yrs from now and you'll have to think twice about where each one even came from. (True story).

If you're bringing new dancers into the circuit please insert an eagerness to perfect the art form in them more than an eagerness for placings.
Or collecting dust the pantry of your 1 bedroom apartment.

I'd go even further and say not only to perfect the art form, but also to "take it and make it yours." To make the experience unique and fun to you, to enjoy your time on stage, and walk off the stage feeling like a winner regardless of placings. Memories last longer than trophies.

Something I think I said before - I think some of my fondest memories on the bhangra circuit were actually times were we lost. Bhangra Allstars '09 (w/ AEG - we placed 2nd), Boston '09 (w/ AEG - we didn't place), TBYF (w/ AEG - we didn't place), Elite 8 2010 (w/ AEG - VCU won and no other team placed), and Big Apple 2012 (w/ 5AB - we didn't place), and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head - I had the BEST of times at each of these comps. I met people; we had some drinks (not too many though...) and relaxed; we shared stories, laughs, and memories - it was awesome!! I keep those with me even 3-6 years after they happened... where as the trophies are somewhere in either Gurbir or Ankush's respective residences.

hardeep_singh

campy614 said:
Hkiran said:
Make 2015 a year of memories and experiences rather than a focus on collecting pieces of plastic which will end up doing nothing but collecting dust in your basement 8yrs from now and you'll have to think twice about where each one even came from. (True story).

If you're bringing new dancers into the circuit please insert an eagerness to perfect the art form in them more than an eagerness for placings.

I'd go even further and say not only to perfect the art form, but also to "take it and make it yours." To make the experience unique and fun to you, to enjoy your time on stage, and walk off the stage feeling like a winner regardless of placings. Memories last longer than trophies.

Something I think I said before - I think some of my fondest memories on the bhangra circuit were actually times were we lost. Bhangra Allstars '09 (w/ AEG - we placed 2nd), Boston '09 (w/ AEG - we didn't place), TBYF (w/ AEG - we didn't place), Elite 8 2010 (w/ AEG - VCU won and no other team placed), and Big Apple 2012 (w/ 5AB - we didn't place), and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head - I had the BEST of times at each of these comps. I met people; we had some drinks (not too many though...) and relaxed; we shared stories, laughs, and memories - it was awesome!! I keep those with me even 3-6 years after they happened... where as the trophies are somewhere in either Gurbir or Ankush's respective residences.
if teams insist on using stage markers, maybe it would be practical to use trophies as stage markers :eek:

Gopi D

campy614 said:
Hkiran said:

Something I think I said before - I think some of my fondest memories on the bhangra circuit were actually times were we lost.
Couldn't agree more! Best thing I've read on Btf after a long time now