• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Traditional Turla Help

Hoya Singh

I've looked around but cant find a video of someone tying a turla pagh on himself. Does anyone have one?

Shreyas

I know this is about turlas but I had a question about saaps....are the saaps from bhangraavenue.com good quality? if not where can I find some good quality one?

thank you

shreyas

partik614

So I feel like the hardest part for me is getting the turla tucked in securely. Does anybody have any tips on getting the turla tucked in deep and secure? Because the problem I have is that it usually falls out pretty easily.

zagreus

partik614 said:
So I feel like the hardest part for me is getting the turla tucked in securely. Does anybody have any tips on getting the turla tucked in deep and secure? Because the problem I have is that it usually falls out pretty easily.
You're not sticking it in deep enough (that's what she said...ha ha ...ha). But yeah, you also need to remember the curvature of the head. You can't just push straight down, otherwise it won't hold properly. Also, you might be tying the laars too tight which makes it difficult to stick in a turla.

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
Jasmeet said:
partik614 said:
You're not sticking it in deep enough (that's what she said...ha ha ...ha). But yeah, you also need to remember the curvature of the head. You can't just push straight down, otherwise it won't hold properly. Also, you might be tying the laars too tight which makes it difficult to stick in a turla.
The turla should be covered by at least the top two larhs, once it's down a bit fan it out and then push it some more. It's also possible you are using too long of a turla, and need to shorten the height to get better stability

zagreus

Swi said:
Jasmeet said:
partik614 said:
The turla should be covered by at least the top two larhs, once it's down a bit fan it out and then push it some more. It's also possible you are using too long of a turla, and need to shorten the height to get better stability
+1 <3

here this is how nishani bhangra does their turlas ...ive learned from watching guy who ties cal bhangra paghs sooo hope this slightly helps ill show how to starch later or something

Turla

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Deepi253 said:
here this is how nishani bhangra does their turlas ...ive learned from watching guy who ties cal bhangra paghs sooo hope this slightly helps ill show how to starch later or something

Turla

Unorthodox but intriguing. Definitely different from the typical method we've become accustom to seeing. It's amazing to see alternative but attractive methods/versions of turlas be created/be evolved! :D

hsdeol

im not a big fan of the shape of the turla, but like sue, its pretty cool to see the different approaches people have. one guy on our team used to tie his own pagh by tying the pagh around the turla. i remember sue used to use the "shoelace" method which was huge for us when we were learning how to tie

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Does anyone have a video, description or tips on how to "self tie" a front turla pagh? I've been looking forever for one and I've had no luck with it.

Honestly, I keep hearing people say "keep practicing it" but I have nothing to base it off of, other than the videos of other people tying it on someone else.

Help?

Also, does anyone have a video or step by step routine for starching the front turla and bringing it together (aka folding)?

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
HdBrar said:
Does anyone have a video, description or tips on how to "self tie" a front turla pagh? I've been looking forever for one and I've had no luck with it.

Honestly, I keep hearing people say "keep practicing it" but I have nothing to base it off of, other than the videos of other people tying it on someone else.

Help?

Also, does anyone have a video or step by step routine for starching the front turla and bringing it together (aka folding)?
starching has been described a lot, jasmeet and I even made a video at bruin 2011 (i'll let Sid post the link since that's kind of his thing).

But Folding? Really? Come on man, just do it, see how it turns out and make improvements. You can either fold accordion style (holding both ends of the turla, or or hold the bottom point of the turla and slowly make the folds (this is shown in the above vids).

If you have a specific question, tell us what you're doing (or you record a video) and we can comment and help you improve. There is no 'right' way to tie paghs, starch etc. It's about doing what works for you, and if what you're doing is not working then we can help you fix that but without trying it's tough to explain

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Swi said:
HdBrar said:

Help?

starching has been described a lot, jasmeet and I even made a video at bruin 2011 (i'll let Sid post the link since that's kind of his thing).
was posted earlier in the thread:
Sta Flo a bhangra turla