• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

UB Bhangra @ Muqabla 2011

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Messages
721
I know... it's been quite sometime since we made some sort of appearance, but we are back. As of right now, we are a young team that's just starting back up from scratch. This is our first and latest performance at this year's Muqabla. I hope we could get some postivie criticism about various aspects of the dance. Comments, likes/dislikes, and general tips are also appreciated.


The more feedback, the more we can focus on. Therefore, the better we will do in the future.


UB Bhangra @ Muqabla 2011


Thanks! ;D
 

hsdeol

Active Member
Messages
485
The biggest thing that you guys need to work on is organization. there was absolutely no point in this dance that i knew waht was going on. perhaps its following a mold if you have a jhummar segment, a dhamaal segment, a this segment, and a that segment, but it makes performances more understandable. also, you guys seemed to repeat a majority of the moves throughout the routine. if you are having trouble coming up with moves, organizing your dance into 6-8 (saaps, khunde, slow jhummar, fast jhummar, dhamaal, jodiyaan, phummuniayn, mirza, and an ending <-- in no particular order...) that are 45-60 seconds each youll be able to organize your moves better. that also will bring focus to each step because instead of me watching this and being like, "im not sure what their gonna do here" ill be like "oh snap this is their dhamaal segment! i wonder what theyre going to do to make this segment sweet"

try not to stop adn start so much. it doesnt allow the routine to flow well. i think the side turlas looked okay, but front turlay wale paghan are much better looking (to me) in competition. girls need to wear chunnis.

if you dont fully understand what im saying, watch a team thats been around for a while. youll notice they have segments that correlate to different songs based on the dhol beats. it looked like a lot of work went into your performance (and there is definitely a great deal of potential on this team), and if you direct your focus on making your routine better im sure you guys will go places
 

Ashveer

New Member
Messages
492
I don't think your observation is very helpful because compartmentalization only goes so far. I think what you mean to say it would be better for them to have more variation in speed and style of their dance. They have a jhumar and a short saap and daang segment. Dhamaal, sialkoti, phumania, mirza etc., usually aren't the focus of a dance for more than 15 seconds a piece, right?

I think it was a great start for a team. I think a serious issue they'll have to grapple with is the disproportionate amount of girls, which is often an issue on collegiate bhangra teams.

Moderator's Note: split topic, so slight edits to help thread flow better
 

Pavan

New Member
Messages
155
I think the two biggest things that will help you guys is stressing fundamentals and standardizing moves. Keep drilling footwork until every person can do it perfectly. I know this is tough, and everyone is excited to move to an actual routine, but this can really help a group of new dancers. And have your captains standardize moves completely between each other, and teach it to the team. I feel like these two things often get lost when you are new to dancing bhangra (happened to me all the time) and that can really affect the cleanliness of a routine. I am sure if you really focus on these two things, you will be able to develop your dancers much faster.


I tend to like the organized routine, especially for a newer team, because it really helps keep track of all the moves and segments you want to include in your routine. Obviously this is up to you guys, but I feel like trying that, and then looking for ways to be creative within that framework is a great way to go. And to the guy hating on FCB, clearly they would be a good group of guys to learn how to develop a new team from right?
 

hsdeol

Active Member
Messages
485
Ashveer said:
I don't think your observation is very helpful because compartmentalization only goes so far.
Moderator's Note: split topic, so slight edits to help thread flow better
im sorry to disappoint you good sir. ill make sure from now on my posts (of the critique/advice nature) are up to your standard and align with your opinion.

oh and btws, thats not what i meant to say. if anyone from UB would like further advice from your buddy harman, drop me a pm.
 

Ashveer

New Member
Messages
492
hsdeol said:
Ashveer said:
I don't think your observation is very helpful because compartmentalization only goes so far.
Moderator's Note: split topic, so slight edits to help thread flow better
im sorry to disappoint you good sir. ill make sure from now on my posts (of the critique/advice nature) are up to your standard and align with your opinion.
Perfect
 
Top