• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 3: Bracket A - Matchup 2 (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mans

BTF Mixing Mod
Below are the mixes for Bracket A - Matchup 2 in the mixing ladder! Please vote for your favorite mix below. Feedback is also welcome, and encouraged!

Voting closes on Thursday, June 4th at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to valid BTF accounts. Newly made accounts will be monitored for possible foul play.

ATTENTION MIXERS:
As a reminder, if mixers vote on every OTHER matchup (BOTH BRACKETS) for this week, they will have 2 votes added to their own matchup’s tally in their favor! DO NOT VOTE IN YOUR OWN MATCHUP!

The theme of the matchup was creating Saap Segments with old school songs.
Both DJs were assigned the song Dang Utte Dera Jatt Da - Surjit Bindrakhia, linked below:

DJ 1:

DJ 2:

swisscheese

DJ 2 for me. Much cleaner mix with a beautiful crescendo. Woulda taken 1 but there was a bit much going on that didn't really add to the mix and the key signature was changed 3 times which is a lot for a mix this short. Nonetheless both were straight flames

parmszn

This a hard one but gonna have to go with DJ 1 here. In terms of critiques, DJ needs to work on making the vocals pop, right now they are lost in everything that's going on. For DJ 2 vocals were much cleaner but I never felt like the mix ever really had a chorus section; it sounded like a build up that led into a build up that went into a slow drop. Not that there's anything wrong with that lol just my opinion on why I preferred DJ 1.

kman58

DJ1 had the beats and tempo to make it feel more like a sapp segment, but I could barely hear the vocals even on my studio headphones. I liked the musicality and clarity in DJ2's, and while I wouldn't necessarily choreograph/dance a sapp segment with a mix that had your tempo variations, I wouldn't hate it if someone else did.

I choose DJ2

wadz

DJ 1 - a pretty classic sapp segment in terms of tempo and drum pattern which has nice bounce, however the vocals were so buried it didn't have much of the character of the original song left
DJ 2 - more musical and had fleshed out ideas (and i could hear the vocals) - the drums could've been punchier to make it slap more

I vote DJ 2

MixxMann

DJ 1: Frequencies clashing, dhad not in key, way too much going on.
DJ 2: Love the kick pattern sounds much cleaner compared to DJ 1. Good Stuff.

Vote DJ 2

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
DJ 1: Volumes sounded off esp with the dhad as previously mentioned. The structure of the mix felt like it was building up to something insane but i was let down by the end of it cause it just sounded like buildup after buildup.

DJ 2: Sick intro but was kinda long for the time restraints of the ladder (if u make this into a full mix that intro would hit much harder). The final drop was nice, loved the switchup between the two versions of this track.

My vote: DJ 2

guranshsingh

DJ 1: hype, interesting tempo control. The vocals were really buried. Pitch change at the chorus felt a little dissonant to me.

DJ 2: interesting intro, I like the low pitch sarangi a lot haha. More musicality here, I like it! Nice build of impact throughout. Nice mix! Could work on drum impact a bit more in the future.

Vote: DJ 2

mogul517

DJ 1 after a while the dhad got repetitive but definitely had an engaging/danceable structure. Vocals were really soft.
DJ 2 loved intro and the last slow down drop but for me missing a hard hitting snare to carry in the verse.

my vote DJ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.