• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 3 - BTF Ladder - 13. KaranDeol vs. 11. DJ Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Please vote on which mix you like better by posting in the thread below. There's no poll. You must have a minimum of 10 posts to vote. Voting ends at 11:59 PST on Tuesday night!

This challenge is between 13. KaranDeol and 11. DJ Concept. The challenge was to make a jhoomer segment. The original song is Jeende Rahe by Preet Harpal.

DJ 1:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-mixers-ladder-week-3-karan[/soundcloud]

DJ 2:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-mixers-ladder-week-3[/soundcloud]

GSingh

LMAO AT SONG SELECTION. To dance to this you must really be dukhi as hell ahaha.

Mix wise,

I enjoyed listening to DJ 1 a lot more.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
GSingh said:
LMAO AT SONG SELECTION. To dance to this you must really be dukhi as hell ahaha.

Mix wise,

I enjoyed listening to DJ 1 a lot more.

HEY. this is a good song. don't hate. i'd dance the shit out of this song.

HarjitSingh

DJ 1. Although personally I feel neither of these sounded like jhummar segments. DJ 1 (and somewhat DJ 2) had more of a dhamaal feel but it sounded better as well.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
A jhoomer segment with this sad song is quite the challenge!

My vote: DJ 1

DJ 1 - I enjoyed the lower volume & "large hall" type of sound used for the buildup. There was also a smooth transition into "yeah" female English singing at around 0:15ish and the background effects used during that were also good. I did not really enjoy the background effects used when the actual lyrics of the songs were brought to full volume at 0:23 (it kinda sounded something that I would hear from a Mario game). It didn't enhance the vocals any and got to be just a little annoying. Unfortunately you kept that same background effect until about 0:47ish. The bass drop at 0:49ish was good though. I liked the idea of increasing the tempo of the song at 0:51ish and adding the drums to provide more of a rhythm. Although the segment from 0:51-1:08 sounds like it would be better placed toward the end of a bhangra dance segment (closing gimmick/mela/stage exit/etc). I honestly felt if you used the panning sound effect and buildup from 1:10-1:17 for intro, it would have been drawn the listener in even more. The ending of your mix was simple, but effective.

DJ 2 - A much simpler intro than DJ 1. With such a simple intro, I wish you would have panned the sound (from right speaker to left speaker & back) and possibly added some additional other effects in - that would definitely lifted your mix to a higher level. I enjoyed the English clips that you used from 0:08-0:38ish and the background effect that were consistent in the back. You also added in a few other effects which made that section unique. It almost sounded like something I would hear going around a track in a car racing game (sorry for the all the gaming references, lol). I *REALLY* wish you would have decided to change things up in a different way from 0:39ish because the "car racing" background theme (with that boy's voice) got slightly annoying after this point and the only other element that I heard more of was some bass on occasion. Like DJ 1, you had a simple, but effective ending.

While I still feel either of these mixes would be REALLY tough to incorporate into any bhangra segment (much less a JHOOMER segment), I have to give the edge to DJ 1. Some unique concepts brought forward by both DJ's though, so good job in that area. Hope the feedback helps.

~ Basim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.