• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 3 - BTF Ladder - 19. Gtam vs. 17. NKrishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Please vote on which mix you like better by posting in the thread below. There's no poll. You must have a minimum of 10 posts to vote. Voting ends at 11:59 PST on Tuesday night!

This challenge is between 19. Gtam and 17. NKrishnan. The challenge was to make a finale segment. The original song is Maan Doabe Da by Tigerstyle.

DJ 1:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-mixing-ladder-week-3-gtam[/soundcloud]

DJ 2:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-mixing-ladder-week-3[/soundcloud]

xlnc

DJ2 had a better mix, even though DJ 1 stuck more along the theme of having a finale segment. Still

DJ2 takes it for me.

HarjitSingh

I like how DJ 1 incorporated Church in the Wild. It had a cool feel. But I think DJ 2 has a more danceable ending segment mix.

DJ 2.

mithu

DJ 1: Flows well till drop, then the flow just lost. The church in the wild doesnt really work for this.
DJ 2: Clean mix. The last couple seconds could have been more hype.

Vote: DJ 2

Multani

DJ1: That beat starting at :11 is so off..

DJ2: Ahhh the beginning is well done..

VOTE DJ2

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
My vote: DJ 1

DJ 1 - Simple intro using that English clip & echo sound effect, but it works. To be honest, I liked the concept of bringing in something unique like "the church in the wild" instrumental that others mentioned above me. I just felt it was off beat or perhaps something else was off, but it just didn't mesh that well with the original song. I do admire that you were thinking outside of the box here though. The mix got a little too chaotic sounding for me from 0:27ish-0:36ish. Your ending and execution fit much better with the theme of the challenge. Good work overall.

DJ 2 - The intro and transition into the main vocals was quite creative, but why are the vocals of the original song SO low in volume and flat sounding? You reduced the main part of the song! Imagine this being used to end a bhangra team's performance and the audience leaning toward the speakers to even hear the mix, lol. I liked the use of the snare drums, synthesizer effect, and the gunshot you used for the buildup & transition at 0:31-0:36ish. Your increased the bpm of the song and that definitely helped to make it sound more "upbeat." I was going to give you props for adding in the "snare charming" effect and the "ah ah ah balle" sound clip from 0:46:0:55, but then I realize that was part of the original song. I didn't hear too much of what you changed (besides increasing the song's speed) toward the 2nd half the mix. Also, if you were really considering the "theme" of this challenge, you would have ended the mix at 1:14 because most bhangra teams like to go out with a "bang" (not with a fade out like you used).

~ Basim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.