• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 3 - BTF Ladder - 9. sK vs. 6. DJ Preet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfried

Please vote on which mix you like better by posting in the thread below. There's no poll. You must have a minimum of 10 posts to vote. Voting ends at 11:59 PST on Tuesday night!

This challenge is between 9. sK and 6. DJ Preet. The challenge was to make a Jhoomer segment. The original song is Sohni Mahiwal by Surjit Khan.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-3-9-sk-1[/soundcloud]
DJ 1:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bhangra-teams-forum/btf-ladder-week-3-9-sk[/soundcloud]
DJ 2:

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
So the goal this week is to make a danceable segment for a bhangra team. Keep that in mind!

DJ 1: Comes in with the algozey and dhol, can easily see this as the start for a strong and form-minded segment. Something like a jhummar. Not a huge fan of the 'naga' instrumental at the end. Dunno exactly where it's from since it's just a common tune (maybe Love Aaj Kaal- Twist?). But it kind of ruined the strong feel of the segment. Cutting at :50 would have been perfect with a dhol roll

DJ 2: I liked the intro instrumental at :15-:20. Then :24 hits and this mix is ruined. So much going on and none of it works. The algozey isn't in tune, there's some annoying voiceover (like a pitch shifted and panned Rick Ross grunt?), and then a Flo Rida- Where dem girls at instrumental at the end that just feels tacked on. it's also pitch shifted so much it doesn't carry any energy.

DJ 2 started well, felt like something I'd definitely put in a set. But the actual verse and ending were just not good. DJ 1 had a cleaner mix that you could drop in a set and easily choreo.

DJ 1

nkrishnan

Vote is for DJ 1. Serious pitch issues in DJ 2's that were just masked by the volumes and layers. Both DJ's had weird endings though, no need to suddenly switch to a more complex instrumental if it doesn't fit the song. Wasn't a huge fan of the whistel in DJ 1's but it hit the way a jhoomer should and the execution was well done, gonna go for that

xlnc

I felt both DJ's started really strong, however I could only see myself dancing to DJ1 mix till the end, great job by both, but

DJ1

sangeensingh

DJ 1: intro: seemed simple, but effective, didnt add anything to the mix, but didnt take away either, the less is more aspect worked pretty well for you here. The bass when the beat drops at :24 hits nicely, however i do not like the instrumental you used. That beeping thing just doesnt work that well in my opinion

DJ 2: intro: didnt really like the way you started it, just didnt hit for me personally, at :06 you hear a clip of the vocal which should of been edited out some way, sounds "un presentable" i guess you could say. at :14 when that beat drops, not a fan of the sub bass you used. The idea was solid, but that abrupt layer of of lows threw me off. When it drops at :24, liked the lows, but the pitch of the algoozay completely killed it for me

considering both quality and creativity, vote: DJ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.