• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 4: Bracket A - Matchup 1 (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Below are the mixes for Bracket A - Matchup 1 in the mixing ladder! Please vote for your favorite mix below. Feedback is also welcome, and encouraged!

Voting closes on Thursday, June 18th at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to valid BTF accounts. Newly made accounts will be monitored for possible foul play.

ATTENTION MIXERS:
As a reminder, if mixers vote on every OTHER matchup (BOTH BRACKETS) for this week, they will have 2 votes added to their own matchup’s tally in their favor! DO NOT VOTE IN YOUR OWN MATCHUP!

The theme of the matchup was Orchestra/Symphony tracks incorporated into a Punjabi mix.

Both DJs were assigned the song The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) - John Williams, linked below:

DJ 1:

DJ 2:

HdBrar

Welcome to the Dark Side.
DJ 1.

DJ 2 used the theme more in the forefront, which I liked, but there was way too much going on.

kman58

Dj1, solid use of sampling on the imperial March, I really liked the way you used the main melody in the beats right before the drop and how you let the melody play out throughout the drop in the background. Dj2, would’ve been a much more interesting decision had the songs been pitch matched. Not much musicality here, and the mixing was messy (couldn’t hear the beat pattern once moosewala came in). I vote DJ1.

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
My vote: DJ 1 - great job incorporating the soundtrack! Fav part was 0:36 onward and especially the drop, followed by what you did at 0:43-0:48. I felt after that point, your ending could have been a little stronger, but nicely done overall.

DJ 2 had some creative ideas, especially with that intro, but the execution was lacking in the mix overall. I felt the vocals used by DJ 2 clashed a lot with the imperial march beat. At times, the mix was just a bit too overwhelming (i.e. 0:52-1:01). Sometimes it's better to take mixing elements/sound affects away than to keep building on top of what you already have going.

~ Basim :)

Mans

BTF Mixing Mod
DJ 1

DJ 2 definitely used the theme a lot more but there was just way too much going on

guranshsingh

DJ 1: Cool intro, was kinda hard to hear the Star Wars during the vocals, but I liked the build up- I think it would’ve been a way cooler/creative hit to go into jugni with only Star Wars instrumental. Overall dope concept, might steal this for a segment lmao

DJ 2: Force is with you babyyyy - love it haha. Didn’t love the :27 transition. Vocals were hella buried, could not understand any lyrics. I liked the concept and prominence of the Death March,

Vote DJ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.