Re: a good bhangra dancer
who cares about expressions-its so much more than that....smiling and nakhra arent the only factors---ever realize why some dancers catch ur eye on stage more than others. I'm tellin u they send this like ray of light out (its like a toothpaste commercial when they open their mouth, its not just a smile, its like the swallowed the sun). Ok my example, I could give a few (but since I lack experience at competitions I really can't tell whether someone is a good dancer until i see them in front of me), but at groundshaker there was this point in PPA's routine when every1 paused and then they stood their like huge smiles, great facial expressions, all of that----yes good dancers (objectively), but then arjun was among them and he was like moving around, twitching his head, just like why are u stopping me sort of moment- i dont want to stop dancing- now all the guys on PPA are amazing, but what sticks out is that dancer who shows i'm here to prove i love doing this, and i need this moment on stage to prove to all of you how much i love this, and i'm still going to keep on loving this even when your not around. That moment arjun stuck out not because he had good facial expressions, not because he had good form, it was because their was this feeling/this radiance that said "this is who i am- and i love doing what i am doing in front of you right now, and i wish i didn't have to stop, and let go of that thread thats stopping me and let me move on with the rest of my routine because i haven't finished showing them that this routine is what drives me.
thats the difference between a good dancer, and an amazing, extraordinary dancer-that radiance they give off when they dance (not the objective qualities-and im sure if i saw that, that there were other people who noticed that too). And as my original point, I dont think he asked people to define what is a good dancer for him, sure he may have at 1 point. But you need to establish your own definition of what makes you good-and i'm sure along the way a dancer also sees that I'm not good, I have a few weaknesses, and I'd really like to work on them, and this makes them an even better dancer, because they're constantly striving to fulfill what they want for themselves, not what others want out of them.
so sure, you need the objective qualities to be existent, but without the subjective ur just an ordinary dancer (well at least in my eyes), and i dont care if my opinion doesn't matter--but i'm still going to believe in that.