• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

What's up Chicago?!

Billoo0

What's up guys... I was wondering what's going on with the bhangra scene in Chicago and surrounding areas. I haven't seen any active bhangra competitions in a few years and was wondering whether there's any local events going on and even your (the bhangra circuit) thoughts of future competitions in Chicago. Would Chicago be a hot spot for teams? What would teams expect and are demanding to really appreciate in terms of quality, organization and the overall theme to resurrect a bhangra chapter in the windy city?

rajiv0224

Chicago could benefit from a bhangra comp or some type of comp that includes bhangra. Nachle Express was the last one I think in the area, but it didn't happen this year. I'm sure the teams, especially in the midwest, would love to see a Chicago comp happen. I was just at PCS Rangla Punjab in April and noticed there is a huge Punjabi community in the Chicagoland area. Coupled with all of the universities/colleges in the area, if marketed properly a bhangra comp could draw a big audience.

I'm not in Chicago, but that's just the impression I got when I was there recently.

Ashveer

There is a burgeoning community in Chicago, threads in the last month have addressed this...search it.

Billoo0

Ashveer said:
There is a burgeoning community in Chicago, threads in the last month have addressed this...search it.
Yes sir... had a few buddies recently attend Chicago loves Bhangra with Kate Levinstein and their feedback has been super positive in regards to the vibe they got.

rajiv0224 said:
Chicago could benefit from a bhangra comp or some type of comp that includes bhangra. Nachle Express was the last one I think in the area, but it didn't happen this year. I'm sure the teams, especially in the midwest, would love to see a Chicago comp happen. I was just at PCS Rangla Punjab in April and noticed there is a huge Punjabi community in the Chicagoland area. Coupled with all of the universities/colleges in the area, if marketed properly a bhangra comp could draw a big audience.

I'm not in Chicago, but that's just the impression I got when I was there recently.

+1

Tuckerrrr

Are they not doing PCS Bhangra & Giddah Competition anymore? That competition was folked out. So much fun.

vmural2

It's a scene thats just starting to grow out here in Chicago. There are many teams, local and collegiate, that are just starting to get settled in and involved in spreading the word. I would definitely keep an eye out for future bhangra events that may be held in the coming months, or just keep an eye out for what teams are getting involved in if theres something you want to take part in as well.

@ Billoo0, was there anything you were looking for specifically in terms of bhangra in Chicago?