• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Before a performance?

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
I unfortunately cannot sit still and shut up.

I really have some type of disorder that makes me hyper and forces me to do bhangra everywhere. I was caught doing bhangra 10 minutes before my performance on my raas team at Dandia Dhamaka this last year. Doing bhangra, no matter for what, is when I'm in my zone.
 

Temurzai

New Member
Messages
397
basically right before going up to perform, your team is on deck and basically backstage watchin the team before you from the side of the stage.

now watching the rest of teh show from your seat in the crowd is one thing, but once you're back there, and you see the view of the crowd from the corner of backstage and you hear them screaming its a totally different feeling. i definately get butterflies sorta kinda...ok everytime.

i keep my calm for the most part, but damn its exciting, and scary haha, the excitement to bust out the routine, and the slight fear of messing up. watching and cheerin on the team before you always helps you get pumped.

then that final stage of waiting, when the team before you is done and you walk past them exchanging the "Great Job"s and "Good Luck!"s !!

all in all, im ready to go, and pretty hyped backstage
 

[Sher] Imran

Member
Messages
213
we all do ardaas in a circle then finish up with our individual dua/prayers/etc, go around and hug each other and offer each other a few words of encouragement...at this point someone usually does something ridiculous so we are all in a good mood (watch BOBtv) and we set foot on stage excited, but loose. Gotta stay loose!
 

sorethighs

New Member
Messages
85
The worst thing to do before you go onstage is to talk about the teams that went before you did.

From a physical perspective, its important to do some type of warmup activity before dancing, in addition to spreading. I'm sure Dr. Desai could add more to this, but if you go from standing still to doing a bhangra routine, thats a huge cardiovascular change - you go from 0-60 in a minute and a half.

Alternatively, if you warm up a little - even just doing a bunch of batka or jumping up and down or freestyling- you start the routine at a faster initial heart rate, which means the strain on your heart and lungs is smaller than it would be if you started from standing still.

A lot of people walk around backstage saying "conserve your energy, don't move around," but thats a bad tactic. You need to do something to get your body ready for essentially 8 minutes of sprinting, otherwise you'll wonder why you can't do on stage what you could normally do an hour into practice.
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
Jeeti said:
...just chill...i have a huge loongi-phobia...so i triple quadruple check if my loongi is on nice and tight but other than that...no need to waste energy...if your teammates need it...give em a bit of encouragement...saveeee it for the stage...
ohhh i nvr thought the guys worried bout that i worry bout if my salwar is like in a really tight at the top and the bottom of my salwar i dont get my foot stuck in-hated when that happened (lost a leg 1 time :'()

but yaa definetly wat mariam said i like to be around my team before the performance and breathinggg

ohh chewing gum helpssss alot for some reason (spearmint/peppermint..anything mint)...i remember before we went on for a performance i dotn kno wat happened if i got nervous or w/e but mariam gave me a piece of gum calms u down

and oh i dont eat like 4-6 hrs before the comp. stomach does not want food so chewin gum helps then too kinda
 

Rohit

New Member
Messages
163
I have this weird thing where b4 I even get ready like a good 2hrs before the performance I need to gorge on candies and chocolates :| lol I dunno its like how in india they take jarda and doday lol candy is like that for me. Also I go around making sure everyones chadra and phuman are tied properly. Fix my chadra again! lol and yeh jus walk around thinking abt the way I wanna perform and just when we get on stage i give every1 the goodluck and the "let's kill it" pat and I'm set to go :D
 

Vic

Member
Messages
291
I believe almost all teams go through the process of prayer before they compete so all goes well.

I don't do the speech, our manager does.

For me, after our Ardass and speech is complete... and this is going to sound weird... but I go through almost every emotion. It's F*cked lol. I feel like crying, then I feel pissed off, then I'm happy. Then after thats done I kiss every guy on the CHEEK and I don't need to say anythign else. (I know i'm going to get hassled for saying that one lol). Then we perform.

After the placings we do another Ardass being thankful for whatever/if we got anything.
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
abhigames said:
i sign the last autograph and tell the last girl that i'll meet her at the afterparty....then we say, "wooo haaa tcnj saathiya" so that he fusion gods will give us the power to win. ;D
abhigames, I do not understand half the posts you write. Maybe it's just me.

I completely agree with sorethighs. The worst thing to do is to watch other performances and compare yourselves with them. "omg, they did our song/stunt/move!" or "they were phenomenal, we can't beat that".
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Parul said:
ohhh i nvr thought the guys worried bout that i worry bout if my salwar is like in a really tight at the top and the bottom of my salwar i dont get my foot stuck in-hated when that happened (lost a leg 1 time :'()
ur such a liar u never lost a leg i just saw you 15 minutes ago and u had both stop trying to get attention and go finish the formations.
 

rajkaran

Member
Messages
720
Hmm...

I think I get SO nervous, neither my mind nor my body feels it...so i feel very calm...in fact, we were ready to go perform and just waiting for the show to start and I fell asleep in our changing room while sitting in a chair...but it was alright in the end...the nap helped!
 

Nikhil

New Member
Messages
881
I feel like I'm about to have a heartattack :( its the worst feeling ever...sometime I get the worse migranes too!
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
Mariam said:
Parul said:
ohhh i nvr thought the guys worried bout that i worry bout if my salwar is like in a really tight at the top and the bottom of my salwar i dont get my foot stuck in-hated when that happened (lost a leg 1 time :'()
ur such a liar u never lost a leg i just saw you 15 minutes ago and u had both stop trying to get attention and go finish the formations.
oh i have both legss and formations r done for every song....im color coordinatin every1 tonite...wat color do u want (ill give u the ugly 1)....

but i did lose my legggg (at least it felt like it) not at a competition-but when performin at some1s grad party (u wereee thereee looserrr at kishans) i didnt have any pins and so my foot got caught in my salwar and thats y i have a bizzilion pins around to make sure my salwar is tight at the bottom (roop used bobby pins once)....
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
More often than not, competition days are hectic. And after spending the whole day running here and there, it's nice to just sit, relax, and massage your leg muscles to dislodge the lactic acid and get the blood flowing.
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
BRRUAH! said:
More often than not, competition days are hectic. And after spending the whole day running here and there, it's nice to just sit, relax, and massage your leg muscles to dislodge the lactic acid and get the blood flowing.
BRUUAHHH my friend...right on the money once again...they are indeed hectic...and I've never really tied paggs, but if you have a team where not everyone can tie their own pagg...the person that ends up tying all the paggs is usuallly tired as hell..and on top of that...the combination of traveling the day before and waking up early and having to rehearse...and getting dressed can be completely exhausting...sometimes its best just to stretch everything out...cuz tons of standing can really do a number on your muscles as far as stiffness...
 

Nikhil

New Member
Messages
881
Thats true. Its really important to stay loose before anything. When you sit around however, you have that risk of building up thixotropy; stiffness in the muscles. So as Bruah said, massaging and stretching keeps your muscles active, but not too active so you don't tax your system. Although I believe that massaging has more to do with the elasticity of the muscle, rather than stimulating lactate buildup circulating back into the blood. You'll only get that lactic acid build up if you do some hardcore run throughs before your actual performance, which is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Your body will recycle any acid by itself (Cori Cycle), when you simply pump muscles (i.e. walking/light jog after running will unconsciously keep the waste product cycling in the body back to the heart/liver).

So really all ju gotta do is make a circle where everyone massages each other :) (get your mind out of the gutter for all you people laughing at that)
 
Top