• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Blowout Placings

Jeeti

Before anyone begins to make generalized statements about what the competition was looking for, check the rubric...and I wasn't there but from what I heard..according to the rubric, placings were dead on. As a former member of DUB, I am completely and openly bias.

Congratulations Drexel on a well deserved first place at blowout..its been a long time coming.

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
I think vcu's nearly as good as they've always been... I mean they did just win bayside. but other school's are stepping up their game so it just makes it tougher. only thing I don't understand is the vardiyan change... they look the same except not as bright or as nice as the old set did on stage (just saw a few seconds of a video that's up already)

anyhow, i'm guessin drexel and unc just came really hard

Congrats everyone! and happy to hear wolverine was a favorite - looking forward to that video guys :) :)

preet585

Mariam said:
I think vcu's nearly as good as they've always been... but other school's are stepping up their game so it just makes it tougher. I don't understand the vardiyan change tho... they look the same except not as bright or as nice as the old set did on stage (just saw a few seconds of a video that's up already)

Congrats everyone!
true that!

Kush

Mariam said:
I think vcu's nearly as good as they've always been... I mean they did just win bayside. but other school's are stepping up their game so it just makes it tougher. only thing I don't understand is the vardiyan change... they look the same except not as bright or as nice as the old set did on stage (just saw a few seconds of a video that's up already)

Congrats everyone! and happy to hear wolverine was a favorite - looking forward to that video guys :) :)
New outfits > Old outfits (seen them in person, colors pop like crazy)
EDIT: looks like they mixed the old and new for blowout.

New sets < Old Sets

New dancers << Old Dancers (though some of the younger, newer members have so much potential)

I'll keep my comments on bayside placings to myself, but i definitely agree that other schools are stepping up to the plate. Makes the future of collegiate teams look bright...
Anyone noticing the shifts? More modern style in routines... Coed Collegiate teams back on the rise... Interesting how things are going full circle.

sartajjudge

VCU's performance was amazing as usual and expected. Looked like there were more dancers than they usually have performing, probably to get the rookies ready for next year. The only problem: the routine was pretty predictable. Can't really blame them though, why change up a routine when it has gotten so many 1st place, a couple 2nd place, and one 3rd place finish this season....

1. Bhangra de Mehfil: 2nd place
2. Bhangra in the Burgh 4: 1st place
3. Elite 8: 2nd place (SGPD had 88 points and VCU had 80)
4. Bayside Bhangra: 1st place
5. Bhangra Blowout 18: 3rd place

With VCU's record at Blowout an already impressive one, (1st place three years in a row) its even harder for the judges to give a team another consecutive first place. There's obviously pressure to give someone else the first place prize for a change.

Some people have posted that VCU's dominant presence has now ended, which is nonsense considering their record this year. One third place finish isn't the end of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other team in North America has such a prestigious record as far as overall placings and 1st place finishes.

Haven't seen Drexel's or UNC's performance but they must have done it up big and I'm sure their 1st and 2nd place placings were well deserved.

Can't wait to see all of the other team's Blowout 18 performances. Good luck to all the teams next season.

sonehdataweet

Overall it was a fun comp.

VCU: I thought you guys would of placed higher. Clean performance and folk. Loved it.
UNC: Was a guarenteed 2nd place by watching there performance. It was clean and creative.
Drexel: Creative set, stunt at the end shocked the crowd.
UVA: You guys did really good. Karthik you killed it man. The girl in the green however looked so tired.
Wolverine: You guys had a lot of issues with your props and bumping into each other. I felt bad for the dancers after watching you guys.
Bruin: You guys had some cute moments, Your singer is amazing
Cornell: Vardiyaan were pretty. Good energy, liked the formations.
Columbia: I don't remember what was happening at that moment. I just remember seeing your intro video and idk What happened really I think I dozed off because I was sleep deprived. I'm sorry :( It had nothing to do with your performance but after that hip hop routine that went up I was trying to fall asleep.

Whoever did the khunda connection thing. That was pretty sick. I can't really remember who did. Whoever did the jhoomar where each jori came and did there own little thing - that was so cute <3 Everything's clashing together I am sorry.

*Drunk uncles dancing in the isles at a comp is the most annoyingest thing ever*

J Hayer

missed vcu's performance argh-- drexel and unc were pretty close, imo -- drexel just brought that added energy i think. on point placings from what i saw
(didn't see vcu)

Kartik

soniadewett said:

VCU: I thought you guys would of placed higher. Clean performance and folk. Loved it.
UNC: Was a guarenteed 2nd place by watching there performance. It was clean and creative.
UVA: You guys did really good. Karthik you killed it man. The girl in the green however looked so tired.
Wolverine: You guys had a lot of issues with your props and bumping into each other. I felt bad for the dancers after watching you guys.
Columbia: I don't remember what was happening at that moment. I just remember seeing your intro video and idk What happened really I think I dozed off because I was sleep deprived. I'm sorry :( It had nothing to do with your performance but after that hip hop routine that went up I was trying to fall asleep.

Whoever did the khunda connection thing. That was pretty sick. I can't really remember who did. Whoever did the jhoomar where each jori came and did there own little thing - that was so cute <3 Everything's clashing together I am sorry.

*Drunk uncles dancing in the isles at a comp is the most annoyingest thing ever*
Haha the khunde connection thing was us, got kind of messed up cause of the blackout but thanks!

If anyone has our video please send it to me, we'll be posting everything soon!

sonehdataweet

Kartik said:
soniadewett said:

Haha the khunde connection thing was us, got kind of messed up cause of the blackout but thanks!

If anyone has our video please send it to me, we'll be posting everything soon!
it's all good you guys still did good :)

ramv88

www.dholiram.com
shout out to DREXEL doin it up big....you guys were amazing! congrats on 1st! so proud of you guys! :)

rajkaran

soniadewett said:
hahaha umm Columbia went after Bruin and before the hip-hop group (you didn't like them? I thought they were aiight!)...maybe you have us mixed up with Cornell? Cornell went after the hip-hop routine, I believe...

ranjit singh

sartajjudge said:
VCU's performance was amazing as usual and expected. Looked like there were more dancers than they usually have performing, probably to get the rookies ready for next year. The only problem: the routine was pretty predictable. Can't really blame them though, why change up a routine when it has gotten so many 1st place, a couple 2nd place, and one 3rd place finish this season....

With VCU's record at Blowout an already impressive one, (1st place three years in a row) its even harder for the judges to give a team another consecutive first place. There's obviously pressure to give someone else the first place prize for a change.

Some people have posted that VCU's dominant presence has now ended, which is nonsense considering their record this year. One third place finish isn't the end of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other team in North America has such a prestigious record as far as overall placings and 1st place finishes.
damn bee...get off vcu's lund

Apna_Virsa

ranjit.singh said:
sartajjudge said:

damn bee...get off vcu's lund
+1

sonehdataweet

rajkaran said:
soniadewett said:
hahaha umm Columbia went after Bruin and before the hip-hop group (you didn't like them? I thought they were aiight!)...maybe you have us mixed up with Cornell? Cornell went after the hip-hop routine, I believe...
OK i'm sorry I totally got ya'll confused sorry paaji :( Maaf karna.. I was delerious the whole competition drifting in my own little world. Ya'll had the pink and blue and black vardiyaan right?

rajkaran

soniadewett said:
rajkaran said:
soniadewett said:
OK i'm sorry I totally got ya'll confused sorry paaji :( Maaf karna.. I was delerious the whole competition drifting in my own little world. Ya'll had the pink and blue and black vardiyaan right?
lol no need to say sorry hahaha!

Yup, we had the green/blue, pink, & black varidyaan. Glad you liked them :)

indiaman5

hahaha please vcu did not deserve to win 1st at burgh (unc was way, way better as were other placing teams), and those that saw elite 8 routine could easily tell it was a cop out routine with the whole shoutout gimmick..stop giving vcu so much credit this yr when they really dont deserve it, not one routine was anything close to what we've seen the past 4 years or so and other teams simply got better and are bringing it way harder. how many times can they bring the khundey swing? it was used 3 yrs ago when havish and co danced for them and they brought it back now and there simply was not the same effect. ive said this before, vcu this year was an odd combination of the past 2 years (benny and sheel's) and the sets they brought this yr were awkward to say the least. big ups to the collegiate circuit, lets see creativity being rewarded like DUB was.