• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Crowd Attraction Factors

Karan V

Member
Messages
531
i dont think that gimmicks and stunts are the only crowd pleasers for example, DAV College:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Se1SswyQs3E
they didn;t need no gimmicks or anything
they pleased the crowd with the boliyan, moves, energy, etc...
they pleased the crowd with straight up BHANGRA
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
I think the crowd for DAV is different than a crowd at a NA competition. The India crowds expect traditionality and that is their entertainment. In the US for example, competitions vary...and I think some teams are just entertaining to look at (good mixes as well), but there's not much going on beyond their entertaining elements. The stunts help them out.

And I think the crowd that watches these competitions some times don't know what traditional bhangra is...they just know the remixed things.
 

Gurvir

Member
Messages
704
Manjot said:
any1 remember the VIBE gimmick where girls were laying under the chuni i think it was...and the guy falling off from a stunt...and kj hydraulics were sick
VIBE did some preety sweet stuff that you wouldnt expect but they had so many crowd pleasers and less traditional moves
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
Good points Havish, in fact VCU has contributed very much to this reversal - I think the crowd stays captivated with VCU's dances because of "gimmicks" like the low-spin move where everyone holds a daang in one hand while nearly sitting on the ground (silhouette of this move is your logo - kind of a signature thing I guess). It is not a gimmick per se but everyone goes nuts when you guys do it because you set the music to it properly and all the dancers get into it.

So, to come back to the topic, crowd attraction is based on
1) Variation (ie going really fast and then slowing it down for (as an example) a VCU spin move, or going crazy with daangs and then everyone freezing to stand in place, arms outstretched, heads facing the sky, and shoulder shrug a la Nachdi Jawani). Or like when SGPD freezes while the Jump Around track comes on and then starts swaying and pumping up the crowd - this variation in beat, the dramatic pauses, keep people interested. A dance which is entirely fast is not enough usually, or even 1 jhummar segment interspersed is not enough, you have to catch the audience off guard and change things up (this is why Columbia's Pause-Rewind-Wind up the guy who stopped dancing - Resume Dancing gimmick works, and why KJ's "freeze-part the dancers like a curtain to reveal 2 little kids" works - if the two kids just ran onto the stage it wouldn't be as surprising, so not as effective,,,,notice how the inclusion of Jasmine in LBC's dance cannot itself be called a gimmick - the fact that she's hidden from view and brought in as a surprise makes it more of an eye-catcher.

2) Crowds want BASS. Can't deny it, gotta love it. As people said above, all this really means is sick music. If Jaan Punjabi or Sher Punjabi are playing, cmon, how can you sit there and NOT be excited (unless, of course, it's the 9th time you're hearing those songs *ahem* every competition this year *ahem* but you catch my drift)...

3) Energy. Gee, Arjun, really? Yeah, goes without saying. If you're dancers look tired and then suddenly do some crazy dragon/peacock/phoenix stunt, whatever you want to call it, you're not gonna get the same level of cheering as you would if you're engaging the audience all along with facial expressions. Ok over and out.
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
BRRUAH! said:
Nikhil said:
I would just like to say that TRB in their prime (Zee) was on par with KJ in their prime. It's probably not a popular thing to say, but you just had to be there to see it.
Yup, agreed. There was a time when all the VCU guys were obsessed with the TRB choreo for Mukadma. We were doing it ALL THE TIME. These guys were definitely pioneers, up there with KJ.
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
dheerja said:
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
I went to the Orange Bhangra site, but how do I get the music to shut up?!? I mean it's good, but I'm trying to watch the videos! Dheerja? Sulman?
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
BRRUAH! said:
dheerja said:
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
I went to the Orange Bhangra site, but how do I get the music to shut up?!? I mean it's good, but I'm trying to watch the videos! Dheerja? Sulman?
Err Sulman? Are you in IE or Firefox? Try IE, I always switch over when I'm watching videos from the site, it works better for some reason.
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
dheerja said:
Err Sulman? Are you in IE or Firefox? Try IE, I always switch over when I'm watching videos from the site, it works better for some reason.
YES! IE solved the problem. thx!
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
dheerja said:
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
lol, I was expecting to see a vid of the real TRB performing, but this was so much betterrr hahahahaha

If anyone's wondering where to find it, it's at www.orangebhangra.com under "Manhattan Bhangra 2007".
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
BRRUAH! said:
dheerja said:
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
lol, I was expecting to see a vid of the real TRB performing, but this was so much betterrr hahahahaha

If anyone's wondering where to find it, it's at www.orangebhangra.com under "Manhattan Bhangra 2007".
Oh god. Moderators can we delete please?
 

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
dheerja said:
BRRUAH! said:
dheerja said:
Haha Mukadma...definitely know that entire routine. And it's posted on the orange bhangra site. Awesome.
lol, I was expecting to see a vid of the real TRB performing, but this was so much betterrr hahahahaha

If anyone's wondering where to find it, it's at www.orangebhangra.com under "Manhattan Bhangra 2007".
Oh god. Moderators can we delete please?
Moderator's note: No :)
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Arjun said:
2) Crowds want BASS. Can't deny it, gotta love it. As people said above, all this really means is sick music. If Jaan Punjabi or Sher Punjabi are playing, cmon, how can you sit there and NOT be excited (unless, of course, it's the 9th time you're hearing those songs *ahem* every competition this year *ahem* but you catch my drift)...
AGREED. Plus I like it as a dancer, I'd rather dance to a song w/ bass added any day. Sound effects can help, too, as long as they are put in very neatly and not too loudly and not too often only at key points and not the HOI HOII in every other mix lol
 

Dhesi

New Member
Messages
101
kinnell said:
VIBE had some pretty crazyass stunts. Like the death necklace with 2 extra guys. And then a girl version right next to to them. Crazy stuff!

Personally, I disagree that stunts/gimmicks are going away, they're simply being reinvented. Think about it.

The fast saap segments are almost like a stunt. Virsa did held their daangs in their mouths during one of their performances/routines. Domino Jumps, Dang Swings. It's very gimmicky/stunt-like. And it's hella entertaining. I've seen formation quality go up in the last few years even with traditional teams. The mere thought that you will not know where dancers will be in the next second (aka unpredictable crazy formations) is entertaining!
I agree with Kinnell. I don't think stunts and gimmicks are going away, I just think they're being better integrated into the routine. I consider stunts to be like neck jumps, double standings, waist jumps etc. I consider gimmicks to be like bring out trucks, kids, cars, etc. What we're seeing now, that we didn't see as much of before, is gimmicks done while doing bhangra. Before it used to be like the music stopped, a voiceover would say something, and the bhangra would take a break as the gimmick/skit occurred. This was greatly entertaining but repetitive after similiar skits were being done over and over. Nowadays, it's more of doing bhangra while adding some sort gimmick/nakhre to it. Like high-fives during a jhoomer set, "we will rock you" mixed in with chak dow ge, sword/light-saber sounds with khunda, khunda in mouth, etc. These things surprise the crowd because they are unexpected but do not really stop or take away from the bhangra being done.

We all know the general public doesn't come to bhangra competitions to see who's the most traditional (remember, I said the general public), but I don't think that bhangra should be stopped to complete a skit/gimmick in between. If you can pull it off within your routine and make it look natural (ie. don't stop the music, no voiceovers, no guest appearances) then by all means, that's what we should be shooting for -- continuing to do bhangra but keep in unexpected.

My opinions only...take them for what you wish..

PD
 

Sumeet

New Member
Messages
4
ShokeenDholi said:
i dont think that gimmicks and stunts are the only crowd pleasers for example, DAV College:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Se1SswyQs3E
they didn;t need no gimmicks or anything
they pleased the crowd with the boliyan, moves, energy, etc...
they pleased the crowd with straight up BHANGRA
still....
the more live set (on dhol) bhangra teams there are the more likely i am to attend...
they are able to please the crowds without doing skits and stunts and other things... which sometimes are also very entertaining...
 

MundeNyDe

New Member
Messages
582
Tha infaumz kid suchet omg dat dude Sulmoney i noe dis dude n trust me i taught him how to mix most likely dose loops how do u noe him we wre lke in da sam bhangra team as dis nigga lol u live in ny
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
MundeNyDe said:
Tha infaumz kid suchet omg dat dude Sulmoney i noe dis dude n trust me i taught him how to mix most likely dose loops how do u noe him we wre lke in da sam bhangra team as dis nigga lol u live in ny
Can you please write in proper english that we can understand? Also, if you want to have a personal conversation with 1 person you can just private message them. Thanks :)
 
Top