• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Differences in UK vs NA Circuits

Hardeep

UoB Bhangra & Gabru Chel Chabileh [GCC]
Dont even worry about my dancing, my set-making, and my mixing. I am doing just fine winning comps left right and centre. You carry on providing entertainment bro, we really are loving this, you've been the highlight of our group chats recently! You offer nothing to the scene, once again, you're a nobody. Nobody. And yes, I do ENJOY bhangra, but at the same time, if you're not entering a comp to WIN, wtf are you even doing?! Don't give me that shit, that's the typical response of someone who does not win in the scene i.e YOU. Bruv, just give up, no one actually rates you, even in your own petty scene. Just sign out and wish this never happened.

hardeep_singh

Dont even worry about my dancing, my set-making, and my mixing. I am doing just fine winning comps left right and centre. You carry on providing entertainment bro, we really are loving this, you've been the highlight of our group chats recently! You offer nothing to the scene, once again, you're a nobody. Nobody. And yes, I do ENJOY bhangra, but at the same time, if you're not entering a comp to WIN, wtf are you even doing?! Don't give me that shit, that's the typical response of someone who does not win in the scene i.e YOU. Bruv, just give up, no one actually rates you, even in your own petty scene. Just sign out and wish this never happened.
a nobody like me ripped your winning set and mix apart so bad you haven't been able to get over it for the past few days, then clowned you all to the point where the rest of the UK circuit will be talking shit and laughing at you for the next yr. to focus on bhangra for the sole purpose of winning devalues the art form, i've never won, i never will win, but if there's one thing that's apparent, it's that i understand bhangra far better than you ever will. you/your team/your circuit will never be considered elite specifically because all you seem to care about is winning and what you have to gain by winning, you'll never learn to give in and just dance free. that's the difference between a chela and a malang.

Hardeep

UoB Bhangra & Gabru Chel Chabileh [GCC]
a nobody like me ripped your winning set and mix apart so bad you haven't been able to get over it for the past few days, then clowned you all to the point where the rest of the UK circuit will be talking shit and laughing at you for the next yr. to focus on bhangra for the sole purpose of winning devalues the art form, i've never won, i never will win, but if there's one thing that's apparent, it's that i understand bhangra far better than you ever will. you/your team/your circuit will never be considered elite specifically because all you seem to care about is winning and what you have to gain by winning, you'll never learn to give in and just dance free. that's the difference between a chela and a malang.
1. You have not affected me or the UK circuit a single bit. You called us out, so we've responded accordindly. I will accept constructive critique, but not you and your comments which hold zero value to me.
2. No ones laughing AT me. Everyones laughing WITH me as they all agree how irrelevant you are. You're a nobody. You've won nothing. You have nothing to back your bold statements. Simply a keyboard warrior who has nothing better to do but to troll on BTF.
3. You've won nothing. You've not captained a winning set. How can you expect me to take you serious? As I mentioned, I accept criticism with open arms...but won't accept pure hate from someone who has achieved NOTHING within the scene. Let that sink in once again...you've achieved nothing. You state you know bhangra? So go on...critique this set and tell me why it's not a winning set. And before you start...there is a HUGE difference between a LIVE set and a MIX set.
4. If winning meant fuck all, why compete? Everyone who is part of a team enjoys bhangra otherwise we wouldn't dance. Taking part in a comp allows dancers to take it that next step further. Once again, I've won 5 comps over 4 years, you've won nothing. Don't give me that shit that 'winning means nothing.' Thats the typical response of soneone who has won jack all.

These comments above do make me sound like I'm arrogant and I'm cocky. Neither is true. I am simply sticking up for my team who has been unnecessarily called out by you for no particular reason. If you didn't like it, feel free to drop some constructive criticism. A well known NYPD dancer was a judge for this comp - and had us 1st by a mile this year AND last year. If I was you, I'd sign out and deactivate. You're clueless, offer nothing, and simply a negative-minded, disliked individual. You can't back up any of your statements with your dancing/teams? So who even are you lol. I rate only a handful of teams within the scene, and theyre often the ones who are the most quiet on BTF so that says it all (NJ, SPD, NYPD, Soormay, SGPD, FS) (may have missed a few, but respect to them all for holding it down year on year). Peace.

hardeep_singh

1. You have not affected me or the UK circuit a single bit. You called us out, so we've responded accordindly. I will accept constructive critique, but not you and your comments which hold zero value to me.
2. No ones laughing AT me. Everyones laughing WITH me as they all agree how irrelevant you are. You're a nobody. You've won nothing. You have nothing to back your bold statements. Simply a keyboard warrior who has nothing better to do but to troll on BTF.
3. You've won nothing. You've not captained a winning set. How can you expect me to take you serious? As I mentioned, I accept criticism with open arms...but won't accept pure hate from someone who has achieved NOTHING within the scene. Let that sink in once again...you've achieved nothing. You state you know bhangra? So go on...critique this set and tell me why it's not a winning set. And before you start...there is a HUGE difference between a LIVE set and a MIX set.
4. If winning meant fuck all, why compete? Everyone who is part of a team enjoys bhangra otherwise we wouldn't dance. Taking part in a comp allows dancers to take it that next step further. Once again, I've won 5 comps over 4 years, you've won nothing. Don't give me that shit that 'winning means nothing.' Thats the typical response of soneone who has won jack all.

These comments above do make me sound like I'm arrogant and I'm cocky. Neither is true. I am simply sticking up for my team who has been unnecessarily called out by you for no particular reason. If you didn't like it, feel free to drop some constructive criticism. A well known NYPD dancer was a judge for this comp - and had us 1st by a mile this year AND last year. If I was you, I'd sign out and deactivate. You're clueless, offer nothing, and simply a negative-minded, disliked individual. You can't back up any of your statements with your dancing/teams? So who even are you lol. I rate only a handful of teams within the scene, and theyre often the ones who are the most quiet on BTF so that says it all (NJ, SPD, NYPD, Soormay, SGPD, FS) (may have missed a few, but respect to them all for holding it down year on year). Peace.
the amount of insecurity you and your team have dumped on btf was funny at first, but now it's just sad. it doesn't matter if a person has accomplished nothing in the circuit, any loser is still capable of providing a valuable perspective. eventually you'll realize that obsessing over winning, competing, and reputation are all meaningless. I may have some achievements of note or I may not, doesn't matter to me I've learned a lot and I'm confident in my perspective.

harind_singh

Chal instead of smacking me in a dance off, I expect you to touch my feet. God Mode: On

lol the arrogance of this dude to think he's anywhere near the level of gsingh and gsimz. i would love to hear an honest opinion from harman toor as to what he thinks of your mixes or englandi mixes in general. @HarmanToor
lol this guy is going on like he's boys with @HarmanToor. He probably thinks you're a c**t as we all do! Also, thanks for bringing the mix thing up. Seems a good time to plug my soundcloud. I appreciate the exposure.

https://soundcloud.com/princeukmixes

For any questions, please contact my manager @hardeep_singh . He knows absolutely nothing about bhangra, panjabi culture or sikhi... but he's damn good at getting me some exposure.

a nobody like me ripped your winning set and mix apart so bad you haven't been able to get over it for the past few days, then clowned you all to the point where the rest of the UK circuit will be talking shit and laughing at you for the next yr..
The only people who ripped the GCC set were the dancers! Tbh it's commendable how you're so dedicated to saying things that you have no clue about. I'm actually starting to rate you LOL So down for a proper debate with some serious people on a podcast but this has been hilarious! So down to carry on this ripping of the US scene and ripping you because you just make it too damn easy.

the amount of insecurity you and your team have dumped on btf was funny at first, but now it's just sad. it doesn't matter if a person has accomplished nothing in the circuit, any loser is still capable of providing a valuable perspective. eventually you'll realize that obsessing over winning, competing, and reputation are all meaningless. I may have some achievements of note or I may not, doesn't matter to me I've learned a lot and I'm confident in my perspective.
I mean out of the 1412 posts you as a loser have literally provided zero valuable perspective. Also, reading the above statement, it seems you were one of those kids who got a participation medal for just turning up so it's understandable why you have such a mentality. It's all good man. Personally i'm sure everyone reading BTF over the last few days has loved the tamasha and you sir, have provided some great entertainment.

I mean you have no clue about what you're saying and it gets more evident with every post...but I urge you to carry on. I'm actually tuned in to see what else you say as it's some brilliant entertainment. I don't even care about the NA/UK scene or bhangra in general anymore. Just want to see what you say.

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Your scene has had its time of pushing the envelope in making sets, making them hype/creative, having interesting and conceptual formations/segments that see dancers pushed to their limits. Put all of these things together and inevitably you have some level of messiness. I’m not saying being messy is a prerequisite, but when you think of performances that had people talking - that’s is in part what you’d see. These performances were mainly by the Canadian teams that I mentioned earlier on the other thread.

Please don’t take this as “being messy is a badge of honour” - the truth is we’d love to be Aston/UoB clean with a GCC set and we try, but it doesn’t happen due to complexity and we’d prefer not to sacrifice choreo for it. Playing it safe is what we did at our university teams when we couldn’t control the calibre of dancers. (The same guys who captain and choreograph for GCC have also done so for Aston and UoB - some of the cleanest teams in the UK, So don't come out and say we can't clean sets.)
What I put in bold is something I, personally, applaud ya'll for. Something that we've strove to do. But I'll tell you, judges more often than not, on this side of the Atlantic reward simpler/safer over complex/messier, regardless of how much more entertaining it may have been. Growing up as a young dancer here, judges always said "your sets are too complex" "simplify and focus on dancing." Yeah, we were not as good at dancing/cleaning back then, but I think the circuit would be different if judges just said: become better dancers, clean your stuff, and left out the "too complex/simplify." And actually judged the creativity/complexity and offered how to make it better.

A few judges have done this, but the majority don't. We've had judges tell us "during this part, I couldn't figure out what was going on" when the mechanism had only 2 things going on: half the stage spun on 1/2, other half the stage spun on 3/4. We did crazy formations during an ending segment and a judge said: "Why? Why not just stand there and rip bhangra in 2 lines." So to me, judges over here look for excellence in the dancing of bhangra first, and if that's not really really really good, nothing else matters. We have always tried to balance that but its rough man. It's rough to hear the judges say that stuff when in my own heart, I just wanna put out crazy choreo/formations. Ultimately, I'm a bhangra dancer, a competitor, so to win, we gotta play the game. But to your point of since 2012 where did it go? I think that's why. What's been rewarded hasn't been the team that takes the most risk/brings the most entertaining set while still maintaining a decent level of cleanliness. < that still loses to the "cleaner" team here.

Part of it is also the rubrics, and a sentiment of what's easiest to create a consensus on a judging panel. Which is cleanliness. It's the most objective aspect of team dance. It's very rare where you find a rubric that pushes creativity/risk/choreo/formations to a higher degree than cleanliness/dancing. Even bruins now is almost 50/50. Ultimately, I wish our circuit pushed it more. But the cleanliness, and excellence in the execution of bhangra is whats rewarded more.

If you care to spend more than 20 minutes watching UK sets you’ll see most teams have a different style.
Can you post a few videos with different styles for me? I just don't know who to watch. I'll dissect it myself cause I'm interested.

How many times did a US team win against the top Canadian teams when they came over to compete? It’s still the same today - SPD showed up and won Bruin recently. NJJ won Circle City.
Soormay went to 6ix and beat NJFL. BDS beat an NJ team (forgive me for not knowing which one) at Boston. FS beat NJFL at Motor City. FS beat NJJ at circle the year prior. Back in the day? VCU beating NJ and SGPD at E8 2010. ABC winning Idols 2011. JJ beating NYPD at VPD. AEG and Virsa back in the day have gone up to Canada and beaten some teams when Masti was still around. DCMPAA too maybe? Cornell won Tdot once I think. Fauj won Tdot. << these two I'm not sure who or if they beat any of the "top canadian teams."

All in all, US teams have and can beat the top Canadian teams. But yeah. Not as often as they beat us.

The USA scene has regressed, I think it’s time to get out of your bubble and really see what’s happening.
The regression in set design, has created a progression in the execution of bhangra. Dancers today are significantly better than they were back in 2012. It's not close. Better posture, modhe, extension, energy, you name it. But to the first thing I quoted you on, yeah. I'm sad about the set design regression. Was hoping the JJ E8 2015 win would spike it, but it kinda didn't.

P.S. Stop saying come over here and compete. There’s nothing left on your side of the Atlantic.
Come bang heads with whoever you feel are the top teams over here. All true competitors are up for a challenge. If logistically possible, why not? come rock the teams who you feel are the best over here so the world can shut up. While you're at it, do what BASS did and make it a trip with your families too. Hit NYC, Vegas, LA, etc. pre or post comp.

harsharn

We don't want to spend our money and waste our time to come and prove to you what UK already knows is true. Where's the motivation for us in that? We came in 2013 and yes you were better then but not for the last few years. There's enough video evidence to prove our point.

But if you are adamant your dancing is better then feel free to prove UK wrong by coming here.

BhangraSUCKS

@MohitoK can you send me that "None of my business" Kermit Meme. Seems pretty fitting right here....
Ya to be honest, DRP is probably not the right co-ed team from the US. But there's plenty of other good ones (Illinois bhangra, VCU,

And you can never not give Bhangra empire a fighting chance...their flying dholis may carry them to 1st and thus utterly annihilate you in competition.

siddyp

Can anyone from the UK post the BF rubric? Would love to see it and compare

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Hi friends,

It's been a good discussion so far, but there has been a lot hostility and name calling that does nothing but deter/off-rail a broad discussion. Let's try to avoid letting people getting under our skin and stop trying to "one up" each other on this public forum. You're not going to get some medal by being the best keyboard warrior at the end of the day.

By the way, if any of you are new to the forum (and/or the circuit), please read this topic where we discussed the same thing about 3 years ago: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/a/threads/na-vs-uk.26752/

There were a lot of good points made that I haven't seen mentioned here, so at least it would be worth a quick read.

All the best,

~ Basim :)

siddyp

We don't want to spend our money and waste our time to come and prove to you what UK already knows is true. Where's the motivation for us in that? We came in 2013 and yes you were better then but not for the last few years. There's enough video evidence to prove our point.

But if you are adamant your dancing is better then feel free to prove UK wrong by coming here.
Fair enough. Ain't nobody gonna convince you guys lol. We all are talking in hypotheticals. Maybe one day if logistically it can work, we'll make it happen.

Til then, keep doin what y'all do. It's so much fun to watch.

HansSingh

Going off of what @siddyp said, it’s true that simple safer sets are rewarded higher over messier complex sets. Which goes into what he said about the progression being about execution of good dancing, or what you referred to @harind_singh as “crazy Desi execution”. Which is interesting because we try finding a medium where dancers can hit what is complex enough with what is considered “form”. That’s where I see the North American circuit has gone in the last 2-3 years and also how we differ, where in the U.K. I see a whole other approach where a style was developed over the past 4 years that is effect based and looks energetic and smooth.

As an active member in the particular region I’m in, I tend to concentrate on dancing form (as an audience member and not a judge). That is why if you take 3 of Cali’s best and England’s best, in my opinion there will be no question who the better dancers are.