• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Elite 8 2012 Mid-Year Predictions...

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
The selections out of US East are going to be tough, no team from here has really dominated consistently this past year, except for maybe VCU, and even they have a lot of changes in their roster, so who knows if they'll be quite as good.
Exactly. VCU has been the only lock on US East in the past 2 years. They are clearly trending downwards and without a strong first place performance at Burgh or Boston (or placing at both) I don't see them coming back. AEG is frontrunner....and then who? DCBC is the only other dominant team, and that has issues as we've seen. The key is Burgh/Boston. NJ got in based on their BdM performance last year and the second US East bid is going to be similarly dependent on a good team putting on a dominant performance at a comp.

Maybe Emdo should just drop DCBC girls from the organization starting after BAB (many of the girls are moving on anyway to jobs/law school/grad school...) then see if they can pull off a win with the roster changes and go from there? If they deserve it, Waldo/Emdo will figure out a fair way to make it happen I'm confident. Their resume is too good, if they place at BAB it's so hard to say no. If they place at BAB and a fall comp?

faizan

Just shut up and dance
I believe that elite 8 also picks teams based on how competitive they would be at Elite 8 itself...by that standard, several arguable teams should fall by the wayside...(not my place to name names). I think the US east decision will/must come down to this factor.

Which teams in US East are capable of dethroning the best team of North America (SGPD)? That is the question to ask...

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
mrchicity said:
Also, I don't understand FAUJ as a selection. I understand that they've placed at a couple of competitions, but nothing higher than 2nd place. Additionally, this has been their first year of competing, none of that really sounds elite to me. No offense to them, but I believe a team should have a particular pedigree and a history of winning to be considered, and while they may be talented, they haven't been around long enough (competitively at least) to build a strong case.

Yeah, you're right. The team should have at least a few years under their belt (I think this was the rational for APD not being picked for Elite 8 2010) in addition to more than 3-4 competitions with consistent trophies per year. That's why, while I think JJ could really bring it to Elite 8 due to the sheer talent, cleanliness and creativity of their sets, there's no logical argument for them being at the competition. You have 1 competition from this year - a first place competition at VPD. And 2 from last year - a 3RD place tie at BAB with another US east coast team and a no trophy performance at Fever where 3 other US east coast teams placed above them. I have JJ on my list if Elite 8 was based on simply what they would bring to the competition, but 3 competitions over 2 years makes it hard to build a strong case too.

sumeetj

faizan said:
I believe that elite 8 also picks teams based on how competitive they would be at Elite 8 itself...by that standard, several arguable teams should fall by the wayside...(not my place to name names). I think the US east decision will/must come down to this factor.

Which teams in US East are capable of dethroning the best team of North America (SGPD)? That is the question to ask...
welll...virsa and dcmpaa did place over sgpd at masti last year haha :p and ppa beat them at live as well

but yeah i agree, it is tough to see what us east team can outdo them, especially post elite 8 this year.

juggy1234

US West: APD and ABC
US East: JJ and AEG
Canada West: PCBCA and PANJ
Canada East: SGPD and NJ

I don't think NYPD has gotten to the point to knock NJ off the line up. NJ has been dominating Canada east for some time now (alongside SGPD). They win most competitions they go to. NYPD has not won a competition in the recent time, their recent competition record has been a bunch of second and third places which I don't think is sufficient for an elite 8 position, especially for an area as competitive as canada east. Its important to win competitions if you want to take the place of a team as dominant as NJ. TDOT was crucial for NYPD, by NJ winning and beating NYPD it only further shows that NYPD doesn't have what it takes yet.

Stylez1

SWAGGI
How are you gonna say that NJ wins most competitions that they go too? Lol.. im pretty sure in the past two years the only first place they have gotten was at Bhangra de Mehfil and TDOT which was recent, other than that i cant really remember anything else

juggy1234 said:
US West: APD and ABC
US East: JJ and AEG
Canada West: PCBCA and PANJ
Canada East: SGPD and NJ

I don't think NYPD has gotten to the point to knock NJ off the line up. NJ has been dominating Canada east for some time now (alongside SGPD). They win most competitions they go to. NYPD has not won a competition in the recent time, their recent competition record has been a bunch of second and third places which I don't think is sufficient for an elite 8 position, especially for an area as competitive as canada east. Its important to win competitions if you want to take the place of a team as dominant as NJ. TDOT was crucial for NYPD, by NJ winning and beating NYPD it only further shows that NYPD doesn't have what it takes yet.

Kaur

US West- Bhangra Knights, they won 3 in a row this season

But i dont think Elite gives out bids based on trophies alone. From past selections you can tell they look at overall performances, because not all comps are fair in their results.

sartajjudge

It's safe to say SPGD and VCU will be returning.

The two real questions are what other 6 teams will be invited, and what team will get the "Wild Card" invite?

My guess is that the Wild Card is going to go to a team that has yet to compete at Elite 8.

hardeep_singh

my edumacated guesses

US West: BK & ___
US East: AEG & VCU
Canada West: Shan-E & ___
Canada East: SGPD & NJ & NYPD

sgrewal30

as far as us west goes... i hope abc gets a bid... they've gone so far to prove themselves the last few years. And APD just because their such a strong and successful team.

:-O DAVIS DI DYNASTYYY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y

mrgrewal780

j wraich said:
man these competition should be world wide .... we are also wanna perform in this
It's called ' elite 8 ' for a reason . These team that get selected because their the most respected and ' Elite ' Team in north America . You have to be in the market . You just don't get picked out of the blue .....