• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

GCC performance UK bhangra team

Jabar Jung

Good performance, only thing i would say is don't do jhummaran like its bhangra, do jhummar like its jhummar.. "Takaa ke"

Romi

Is it really north-american of me to say that the double deckers going by in the back kept grabbing my attention LOL

hari

well done bruv proud of you boys smashing it up, i wana c 1 wid all of u :D

kaalia

Good dances but some of the routine and sequences seem copied from other teams....original music to an extent. Major improvement compared to whats been seen on here. Keep it up one day you'll be upto our level in north america.

giddhagal21

hey guys! really nice work...I know you wanted comments so I have some...
you were asking about segments that the other guy might have thought were a little similar to some other teams...I would have to say this was evident in the gaddi segment...doing lehriya to gaddi is very trademark vcu unfortunatley so even if it was originial, most of us on BTF just automatically think vcu
technique was reallyyyy good for most of the segments but sometimes moves were repetitive, when thinking about a set for a whole team try to vary the moves at least on a four beat count
like someone said above with the jhummar...what i usually say is treat jhummar like you're making a suggestion not like "here's the move as hard as I can make it!!" this is your chance to be a little cocky to have the attitude "yea this is sick so watch all the subtle things I am doing" lol that's at least what i do haha
at the ending "clips" of the set i saw your energy drop a little so just watch out for that
last thing when you're thinking about choreoing a whole set for your team in the future try to choreo specific sections like a dhamaal song a phumaniya/luddi song bhangra song etc etc....some teams tend to make the choice to only have a jhummar song as clearly distinct and i think it takes away from the 'folk-ness' of the set

otherwise seriously good start you guys are gna be ones to watch :)

Gurbir23

i came in here expecting the same old uk bhangra, either some alteration of early 2000's modern bhangra or traditional bhangra done really akwardly (no hate, uk brothas)....but you guys were fucking wicked!...really reallly blew me away because of the fact that you ARE in the uk but dance like a north american team. Also, im really glad to see that your using real turlay not those ugly paper turlay, and whoever tied the paghs, kudos, because those turlay looked freakin amazing, especially in the light lol. One thing though, try to slow the jhoomer down and make it more graceful. Ive seen teams use that song as a dhamaal song so its a little too fast paced for a jhoomer. Besides that, sick performance.

PunjabiSniper

hey guys ... appreciate the advice .. yea i get wot u mean to change it up every 4 beats but i aint guna lie ... i was kinda runnin out of moves to put in ... haha!!! defo u lot r right with the jhoomer ... lookin bk it does seem as tho its not as graceful as it shud b ... but the reason we chose rumaalan for jhoomer was purely on the basis that at weddings its a nice track ... originally we had pappi gill - folk boliyan ... but not sure if dat wud luk so cool in a wedding atomosphere. And yea shit i didnt actually realise that VCU av done lehriya to gaddi ... i jus remember them doin it to Markh Punjaban di ... i guess dat does look like its been robbed ... but i cn assure u we didnt mean to... LOL!! we do watch NA teams a lot ... clearly u guys r miles ahead ... but i wudnt say i remember specific segments of performances ... if we do look as if we've jacked something then apologies ... hope we didnt offend ne1 .. but thx for callin us up on it :D!!! in terms of avin dhamaal, mirza, jhoomer segments ... we do try to a certain extent ... bt i think in this country its more bout gettin the right commercial songs ... cz bhangra aint as big ere ... if we turn up wiv pappi gill - gabru puth punjab da for dhamaal ... ppl will fall asleep!!! n as for energy droppin ... il b honest ... i do feel like im slowly about to die towards the end haha ... but dats cz we amateurs!!! thanx for all the advice tho ... means a lot ... feel a bit boosted nw :)!!!

oh n to EQUIUM ... we're based all over the place ... but most of us live in n around london!!!

Gurbir23

PunjabiSniper said:
hey guys ... appreciate the advice .. yea i get wot u mean to change it up every 4 beats but i aint guna lie ... i was kinda runnin out of moves to put in ... haha!!! defo u lot r right with the jhoomer ... lookin bk it does seem as tho its not as graceful as it shud b ... but the reason we chose rumaalan for jhoomer was purely on the basis that at weddings its a nice track ... originally we had pappi gill - folk boliyan ... but not sure if dat wud luk so cool in a wedding atomosphere. And yea shit i didnt actually realise that VCU av done lehriya to gaddi ... i jus remember them doin it to Markh Punjaban di ... i guess dat does look like its been robbed ... but i cn assure u we didnt mean to... LOL!! we do watch NA teams a lot ... clearly u guys r miles ahead ... but i wudnt say i remember specific segments of performances ... if we do look as if we've jacked something then apologies ... hope we didnt offend ne1 .. but thx for callin us up on it :D!!! in terms of avin dhamaal, mirza, jhoomer segments ... we do try to a certain extent ... bt i think in this country its more bout gettin the right commercial songs ... cz bhangra aint as big ere ... if we turn up wiv pappi gill - gabru puth punjab da for dhamaal ... ppl will fall asleep!!! n as for energy droppin ... il b honest ... i do feel like im slowly about to die towards the end haha ... but dats cz we amateurs!!! thanx for all the advice tho ... means a lot ... feel a bit boosted nw :)!!!

oh n to EQUIUM ... we're based all over the place ... but most of us live in n around london!!!
dont worry about changing your moves every four beats, thats alot of moves to throw in their and alot of transitioning from move to mvoe, focus more on not trying to repeat moves and to make a jhoomer more graceful you dont need a really folk track like pappi gill boliyan lol, just use a slower song, for example: punjabana. Same goes with other segments...dont need overly folk songs to pull of segments, i think what she meant was...use a song for like dhamaal...but then use a different song in your mix for jhoomer, then a differnt song for phumaniyan (it emphasizes the segment), but you ca still use popular songs, NA teams do it all the time and dont worry about copying others...somewhere, someone has already done the same segment as you, its bhangra, its the same moves, as long as you dont do it intentionally, it doesnt really matter

giddhagal21

just personally, regarding the four beat move thing...it's more like as an audience member i don't want to see a team doing faslaan for 20 beats if they aren't doing a formation or something like that for example...usually there are inflections in the song that lend to changing the move...so you should look out for that...or at least change the formation. I know you couldn't exactly do formations with 2 ppl tho ;) just some advice for the future

to agree with gurbir you can use hypeee songs just make sure you have clear segments for example i know a lot of NA teams when putting together a set will be like ok we're gna do phumaniya to (fill in song) or then we're going to do dhamaal to (fill in song)
don't need folk songs to have folk elements :) :)

Gurbir23

harind_singh said:
PunjabiSniper said:
allow u vijay! NOTTINGHAM IS THE PLACEE!! loll

no but on a serious note thanks for the comments. this is going to help us get better and hopefully one day u'll watch a video and be like "daymmmm"..so we hope..fingers crossed lol

but yeh..like vijay said, only issue over here in the uk is that if we were to even use HALF the tracks u guys use/we fukin love...no1 will kno whats going on....we keep it commercial so atleast if sum1 talks here it'll b like "oh the nachdi de bit was sick" cz honestly i dont see anyone in the uk sayin "daymmm their mirza//gabroo putt punjab de//folk boliyan" or whatever songs because no1 knows except for a few..

i mean to a certain extent we shud do what we like but we hav to try and keep it entertaining for the uk citizens lol

but yeh..thanks a lot fr the comments :-D
here ill give you an exmaple of using songs that everyone will love....use like a babbu mann song for jatta, then devils eye by kaka bhaniawale for dhamaal, then you could use a new jk song for phumaniyan, mirzas a little more specific, you could do jugni to anything with a slower more subtle beat...you get my point lol

you can basically use ANY song youd like as long as it matches beatwise to the move, you can even use big hindi or hiphop songs if you want, its a gig aftterall, skys the limit..........watch aeg performances...they have alot of hiphop in there but still get all their segments in and its sick

p.s. one thing i noticed is that if a song is not really commmon and you think people would get bored of it, you could mix it with a hip hop beat and make it hype...for example: gajjde gabroo mixed pappi gill with dmx and sounded freakin awesome

equium

So are you guys a university team or did you just start up your own group?

Where abouts in London? It would be good to meet you guys because I dont live too far away from London.

PunjabiSniper

yea u guys r defo right ... i mean wen we do 4 man set then we have formations ... but we still tryna get the hang of these crazy formations u NA lot do at comps ... too sick at times!!! n i totally agree with the mixin it up wiv hip hop stuff ...that certainly adds a bit more hype to it ... but yea its jus bout findin wot works!!!! yea we aint got a jugni set at da mo .. but hopefully das comin ... n we do phumniyan in nachdi de ... sum of da bits r edited out cz we fucked up n i forgot routine ... lets not lie ... hahaha!!! hopefully nxt vid we post will b a lot clearer cz we do have these segments in there!!

to equium yea it would be wicked to link up ... we always lookin for dancers ... we all met in uni ... n den started our own group ... we graduated now ... but still NONE OF US HAVE JOBS :D

1 guys frm west london (slough) , 1 from east london, im from south london!!! where bouts r u???

equium

PunjabiSniper said:
to equium yea it would be wicked to link up ... we always lookin for dancers ... we all met in uni ... n den started our own group ... we graduated now ... but still NONE OF US HAVE JOBS :D

1 guys frm west london (slough) , 1 from east london, im from south london!!! where bouts r u???
I'm from Harlow, have you heard of it? It's just outside the M25, North East of London. I'm actually heading home from uni next week if you guys are around for a practice session or something? If you are, drop me a private message and we can sort something out for sure!

-Dav-

Gurbir23 said:
. Also, im really glad to see that your using real turlay not those ugly paper turlay, and whoever tied the paghs, kudos, because those turlay looked freakin amazing, especially in the light lol.
Cheers Gurbir, I've been practicing tying pagha for about a year now, i think i'm finally getting there...all thanks to BTF especially to Jasraj's video from way back! helped me out BIG TIME!!!hope to bring you lot a clearer video with more of us dancing very soon!cheers for all the comments its been a big help hopefully we can try and improve certain aspects of the routine.