Overall the competition went really well and from our team, we had a great time.
Mixer was good, nice place and good food. Announced the judges to everyone and gave their backgrounds and had them talk to the teams about what they are looking for in the performances. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the fact they were talking in Punjabi the whole time, even when NJ was going over the details for the next day and just general info, it was all in Punjabi, which I wasn't a fan of because not everyone that performs bhangra is Punjabi. That is just my personal opinion. Picking the teams we played musical chairs... creative, but eh, I rather just pick number's out of a hat.
Rehearsal's ran late as usual, but the show started pretty much on time which was good. The venue was great, nice stage, enough dress rooms and space. Nice of NJ to provide food through out the day. The competition ran very smoothly once started. The show went on for a long time because there were 8 teams with 8-10 mins sets, plus like the 3 NJ teams doing exhibitions, along with performers. On top of that the judges giving their critiques right after teams which went for like 10 mins per team.
I really like the idea of the judges giving feedback to all the teams, I just didn't like how it was done right after the performance in front of everyone. To me it should be one of those things done just to each team individually. Also some of the judges called out individual on stage and I thought that was uncalled for, in talking to a team in front of the whole audience, they should address the whole team not pointing out people. And again I wasn't a fan of the judges talking in Punjabi to the performers because personally I didn't understand what they were saying, and had to ask a team member after to translate it for me. I would have love to hear it for myself.
The actual judges/results were straight. I'm just not much of a fan of going to a competition were 6 of the 8 teams place, its almost like the judges didn't want to make decisions therefore they just tied and place as many as they could. But that's their decision as judges.
The best part of the weekend besides performing was just hanging out with everyone, either at Boston Pizza, Hotel, Parking Lot, Venue was just a great time.
Congrats to NJ for throwing a successfully competition and once again to all the teams.
Mixer was good, nice place and good food. Announced the judges to everyone and gave their backgrounds and had them talk to the teams about what they are looking for in the performances. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the fact they were talking in Punjabi the whole time, even when NJ was going over the details for the next day and just general info, it was all in Punjabi, which I wasn't a fan of because not everyone that performs bhangra is Punjabi. That is just my personal opinion. Picking the teams we played musical chairs... creative, but eh, I rather just pick number's out of a hat.
Rehearsal's ran late as usual, but the show started pretty much on time which was good. The venue was great, nice stage, enough dress rooms and space. Nice of NJ to provide food through out the day. The competition ran very smoothly once started. The show went on for a long time because there were 8 teams with 8-10 mins sets, plus like the 3 NJ teams doing exhibitions, along with performers. On top of that the judges giving their critiques right after teams which went for like 10 mins per team.
I really like the idea of the judges giving feedback to all the teams, I just didn't like how it was done right after the performance in front of everyone. To me it should be one of those things done just to each team individually. Also some of the judges called out individual on stage and I thought that was uncalled for, in talking to a team in front of the whole audience, they should address the whole team not pointing out people. And again I wasn't a fan of the judges talking in Punjabi to the performers because personally I didn't understand what they were saying, and had to ask a team member after to translate it for me. I would have love to hear it for myself.
The actual judges/results were straight. I'm just not much of a fan of going to a competition were 6 of the 8 teams place, its almost like the judges didn't want to make decisions therefore they just tied and place as many as they could. But that's their decision as judges.
The best part of the weekend besides performing was just hanging out with everyone, either at Boston Pizza, Hotel, Parking Lot, Venue was just a great time.
Congrats to NJ for throwing a successfully competition and once again to all the teams.