• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

know any good books...?

HarmanSingh

Invisible Man- Ralph Ellison
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings- Maya Angelou
Autobiography of Malcolm-X
Go Tell it On the Mountain- James Baldwin
Its Bigger Than Hip Hop- Molefi Asante
Guns, Germs and Steel- Jared Diamond
Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe

hardeep_singh

voxanimus said:
hardeep_singh said:
wheel of time series by robert jordan
this is probably the most intense undertaking on this entire thread
14 novels to date, each +1000 pages. there are entire societies that have a less complex mythos.
all these recommendations are hella legit though.
14th/final book comes out within a yr. it is the most satisfying reading experience i've had in my life. there are books out there that change your perspective and you find yourself emotionally attached to the story, first experience with something like that was the tripod series, the books that got me into sci fi and fantasy. i've never been drawn into a story as much as i have with wheel of time, the plot is epic, the characters are flawed and genuine; the best fantasy series ever written.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
hardeep_singh said:
voxanimus said:
hardeep_singh said:
14 novels to date, each +1000 pages. there are entire societies that have a less complex mythos.
14th/final book comes out within a yr. it is the most satisfying reading experience i've had in my life. there are books out there that change your perspective and you find yourself emotionally attached to the story, first experience with something like that was the tripod series, the books that got me into sci fi and fantasy. i've never been drawn into a story as much as i have with wheel of time, the plot is epic, the characters are flawed and genuine; the best fantasy series ever written.
definitely. i didn't even finish--i dropped out of reading consistently halfway through Crown of Swords--and i still find it absolutely amazing. so sad that jordan had to die before he could finish it. is the ghostwriter dude legit? i think the last three or something are his.

hardeep_singh

voxanimus said:
hardeep_singh said:
voxanimus said:
hardeep_singh said:
definitely. i didn't even finish--i dropped out of reading consistently halfway through Crown of Swords--and i still find it absolutely amazing. so sad that jordan had to die before he could finish it. is the ghostwriter dude legit? i think the last three or something are his.
u got pretty much half way through the series, winters heart and crossroads of twilight pissed off alot of people including me because the plot didnt progress much and the books just seemed dull. but once you get through those it gets really good. ive reread the books like 3 times and never get tired of em. the writer finishing up the last book is brandon sanderson, he's a great fantasy writer, i read his mistborn series out of curiosity and was impressed, he put out another fantasy book, the way of kings, which i enjoyed. i guess that's why he was chosen to finish wheel of time because he seems to have the same sort of knack for worldbuilding and character detail that robert jordan had

Gurbir23

You need to read the "A song of fire and ice" trilogy. The first book being "A game of thrones" which is what the hbo show is based on. Awesome books

ban3rg

Ashveer said:
library.nu

check there for your textbooks too.
this is an amazing website. how did i not know about this before. holy shit!!! i mean HOLYLYLYL!!!!! will i ever need to buy a book again?

Some quick nonfiction:
Guns Germs and Steel
anything by Malcolm Gladwell, like Blink or Outliers
Gang Leader for a Day - Sudhir Venkatesh
Black Swan by Nassim Taleb
Banker to the Poor - Muhammad Yunus - inspiring message!

and fiction:
Life of Pi
V- Thomas Pynchon
Q&A Vikas Swarup (Slumdog Millionaire is based on this book)

ok but bro, lets be real...Gang Leader for a Day, HELLA interesting and you will finish it in a day so no worries :)

ban3rg

oh yeah, join Goodreads to find out what your friends like/are recommending/reading these days :)

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Arjun said:
Life of Pi
RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. seriously. i was astonished at how good this book was. it kind of starts a little slow but it's amazing. and i read it when i was like 13. so i'm probably going to go read it again now, to get all the religious symbolism and shit.

Jaggi_D

New Delhi, India
Gurbir23 said:
You need to read the "A song of fire and ice" trilogy. The first book being "A game of thrones" which is what the hbo show is based on. Awesome books
There have been 5 books in the series until now :p with the latest one being released on 12th july this year i guess. I started reading it 4 days ago.. Nearly done with the 2nd one :)

hardeep_singh

attached is "the death of grass" by john christopher(samuel youd). this guy also wrote the tripod series and the sword of spirits series, two of the best young adult post apocalyptic fiction ever. took me a while to find this book since its out of print. enjoy

Attachments

The_Kraken

I totally agree with Guns Germs and Steel. Definitely the best non-fiction book I've ever read. And it's not actually that dense, so it reads pretty smoothly.

Also, there's a novel called Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts...it's a true story about a convict who escapes to India and lives there for years. It's pretty long but well worth it.

sonehdataweet

The Post American World- Fareed Zakaria
The Prince- Machiavelli
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Mark Twain
To Kill a Mockingbird

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Basim said:
The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Check the reviews! My favorite book to read growing up.

~ Basim :)
YESSSS

Little business oriented but great reads for anyone:

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
Rework - Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson.
Delivering Happiness - Tony Hsieh
Free - Chris Anderson
The Goal - Eliyahu M. Goldrat