• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

NBA Playoffs 2011

Love

In regards to Jordan/Lebron. Lebron isn't even close.
Athletically, Jordan was ridiculous during his time, but Lebron is just crazy.
Defensively, Jordan was superior to Lebron. One of the best, if not the best wing defender. Career average of 2 steals per game.
Offensively, untouchable. That post move turn around jumper was smooth as silk and rich as gold. Thank you for that MJ. Kobe was able to learn your ways :) Lebron's got a bit more range on his shot though(3 pointers for sure)
In regards to passing, Jordan was better. Yeah, Jordan didn't average amazing numbers in assists, but you have to realize that the Bulls ran the triangle. When he was required to facilitate, in the 1991 finals, Jordan outpassed Magic freaking Johnson. In the last month and a half of the 1989 season, Jordan played the point, like Lebron does a lot in Miami, and averaged 10.4 assists. He had 10 triple doubles in 11 games. That's ridiculous. The game that he didn't get the triple double, he had 40 points and 11 assists. Monster.
Lebron takes MJ in rebounding numbers. His size should account for that though.
Killer instinct=MJ.

I think people tend to forget about the all time greats of the past(Kareem, Bill Russel, Wilt, etc). Those 3 players are leagues ahead of Lebron. And MJ is ahead of those players.

IshB

Hoya jaanam Singh'aan da talwar ton!
Love said:
Defensively, Jordan was superior to Lebron. One of the best, if not the best wing defender. Career average of 2 steals per game.
Offensively, untouchable. That post move turn around jumper was smooth as silk and rich as gold. Thank you for that MJ. Kobe was able to learn your ways :) Lebron's got a bit more range on his shot though(3 pointers for sure)
In regards to passing, Jordan was better. Yeah, Jordan didn't average amazing numbers in assists, but you have to realize that the Bulls ran the triangle. When he was required to facilitate, in the 1991 finals, Jordan outpassed Magic freaking Johnson. In the last month and a half of the 1989 season, Jordan played the point, like Lebron does a lot in Miami, and averaged 10.4 assists. He had 10 triple doubles in 11 games. That's ridiculous. The game that he didn't get the triple double, he had 40 points and 11 assists. Monster.
Killer instinct=MJ.

I think people tend to forget about the all time greats of the past(Kareem, Bill Russel, Wilt, etc). Those 3 players are leagues ahead of Lebron. And MJ is ahead of those players.
Well Lebron is deff not better then MJ, yet. He is still learning and will continue to grow better. we can only make that comparison once Lebron is done playing but yeah agree right now MJ was deff better. But kobe is still wack :)

Kush

Coming from a guy who doesnt like kobe....

Kobe is more like MJ than Lebron will ever be. IN STYLE OF PLAY! Lebron is the most all around basketball player to EVER PLAY THE GAME! PAST OR PRESENT! its undeniable. Whether that will translate into "better or not" only time will tell (though i personally doubt it).

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
Kush said:
Kobe is more like MJ than Lebron will ever be. IN STYLE OF PLAY! Lebron is the most all around basketball player to EVER PLAY THE GAME! PAST OR PRESENT! its undeniable. Whether that will translate into "better or not" only time will tell (though i personally doubt it).
LeBron is a freakiously great athlete. That can't be denied. I will be the first to admit that I don't like the guy though. Reason's why, self-proclaiming the name King James, when he accomplished nothing, put on such a high pedestal for, again, truly accomplishing nothing.

But again, 6'9" 260 without an ounce of fat, you can't not be amazed. He is definitely a great all around player that can play 1-4. Only guy in the past who came close in sIze and skill was magic, and he still weighed 40lbs less.

People need to stop thinking Lebron is greater than Kobe or mike, because, he has accomplished nothing. Being a Kobe fan, I will be the first to admit Kobe will never be mike, even if he wins 2 more rings.

Mike 6/6 100% in finals series
Kobe 5/7 71% in finals series

Even if Kobe wins two more, he couldn't do it perfectly.

All this comparison shit needs to stop. No one player is like the other, easy as that.

Love

^Blake Griffin athletically is close. 6-10, 250, pretty fast for a 4 man, and a high flyer. Not close in skill though

ENVY BANG-RUH

Love said:
Kush said:
Top 10, one of the greatest forces to ever play the game. Nothing but respect. The diesel's presence will never be replaced. Upsetting that he has to go out being plagued with injuries though. But I guess its time
Big thanks to Big Shaq for all the years he put in with LA. The three titles, the domination, the dynasty. There will never be another Shaquille O'Neal.

Nikhil

Shaq!

His telephone interview was hilarious. Hopefully his dissertation turns out to be great.

And, about the comparisons. One and I'm done:

Dwayne Wade is the only player to have the same killer instinct, stealth style, defense, offensive potency and quiet-yet-will turn it on- demeanors as Michael Jordan.

Navkarn

IshB said:
Love said:
Killer instinct=MJ.

Well Lebron is deff not better then MJ, yet. He is still learning and will continue to grow better. we can only make that comparison once Lebron is done playing but yeah agree right now MJ was deff better. But kobe is still wack :)
Jordan vs. LeBron - Bad teacher

Love

Nikhil said:
Shaq!

His telephone interview was hilarious. Hopefully his dissertation turns out to be great.

Dwayne Wade is the only player to have the same killer instinct, stealth style, defense, offensive potency and quiet-yet-will turn it on- demeanors as Michael Jordan.
I don't even know how to respond to this. But I completely, whole heartedly, 100% disagree.
He's good, but I still don't see him as a top 5 sg in nba history

Don

I think a big point a lot of these articles about James being better than Jordan miss out on is that not only did Jordan win 6 nba championships, but that he was also the MVP in all 6. Also, he didn't leave his team to run to magic or Isiah. scottie pippin is a hall of famer today because of jordan, james went to miami and joined two players who are already well established. also james has been named on the all defensive team but jordan was named defensive player of the year in addition to making all defensive team numerous times. being the league's best defensive player surely beats just being on the all defensive team. the only aspect that james might be better in is rebounding. nothing else

ENVY BANG-RUH

Jaideep said:
I think a big point a lot of these articles about James being better than Jordan miss out on is that not only did Jordan win 6 nba championships, but that he was also the MVP in all 6. Also, he didn't leave his team to run to magic or Isiah. scottie pippin is a hall of famer today because of jordan, james went to miami and joined two players who are already well established. also james has been named on the all defensive team but jordan was named defensive player of the year in addition to making all defensive team numerous times. being the league's best defensive player surely beats just being on the all defensive team. the only aspect that james might be better in is rebounding. nothing else
Mike's Defensive Resume

Defensive POY- 1 time
All Defensive Team-9 times
Steals Leader-3 Years

Kush

Love said:
Nikhil said:
Shaq!

I don't even know how to respond to this. But I completely, whole heartedly, 100% disagree.
He's good, but I still don't see him as a top 5 sg in nba history
Please explain why not top 5?! haha hes barely, BARELY behind kobe already. but please go ahead.... I dont know, if hes not top 5, he better win 6th man... the only people that rival him are like AI (if you count him as a two instead of one, which he really was), jerry west, and clyde drexler. So MJ, Kobe, Clyde, West, AI (who is arguably there, since i believe his stats are inflated by the fact that hes the worst team player of all time, and then wade (who has yet to hit his prime.

if you look at accomplishments...

He owns a finals MVP, a championship, multiple allstar performances, nominations to the 1st and 2nd team NBA (which he often would lose his spot to Kobe, but noone else, when he wouldnt make 1st team), nominations to the Defensive team of the nba... OF ALL THE SG'S NAMED HE WAS THE YOUNGEST WHEN HE WON HIS FIRST RING... Lets just forget about the fact that dwade has under his belt what is arguably the BEST FINALS PERFORMANCE BY A PLAYER... EVER.

***Quick point... you have to realize this guy entered the league in the best class of the last 20-30 years! Of all the a-list freshman that year, only his team made the playoffs (lbj, melo, darko, wade, bosh, if you want to just look at the top 5). He would have won rookie of the year were it not for the existence of one LBJ***

Someone might wanna throw reggie miller in the mix, but talk about your one track, limited range player. oh and zero rings (something that plagues mister AI as well).

But he hasnt even finished his prime, hes thick in the middle. I'll go ahead and say it right now, ithink dwade will walk away from the game with 6 championships. Thats my prediction. At the end of the day, forget LBJ, WADES NAME WILL BE AMONGST THE GREATEST SCORERS EVER.

Love

Wade is arguably the best SG in the game RIGHT NOW, but in terms of history, I think he's around 6/7.
I have
Jordan
West
Kobe
Drexler(back to back finals appearances, only to face MJ)
Havlicek(played the 2 and the 3, so eh, but beast nonetheless)
Pistol Pete

All those guys are historical hall of famers

Love

Wade is not near Kobe in terms of their respective careers. Kobe is "declining" according to many, and yet he put up the same exact stats as Wade did this season. Kobe in his prime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wade in his prime. Blows him out of the water. But that's not a detriment to wade, Kobe was just that good during his prime. Putting up 35/5/5 a night, his defenders used to be scared of him

I don't know if you can call 2003 the best draft class in 20-30 years
1996 and 1984 were phenomenal draft years

Allen Iverson (No. 1), Marcus Camby (No. 2), Shareef Abdur-Rahim (No. 3), Stephon Marbury (No. 4), Ray Allen (No. 5), Antoine Walker (No. 6), Kobe Bryant (No. 13), Peja Stojakovic (No. 14), Steve Nash (No. 15), Jermaine O’Neal (No. 17), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (No. 20) and Ben Wallace (undrafted)

Hakeem Olajuwon (No. 1), Michael Jordan (No.3), Charles Barkley (No. 5), John Stockton (No. 16)

In 1996 you have a DEEP draft class. Camby, Wallace, and O'neal were all defensive beasts. Kobe, AI, and Nash were all MVP's. Ray Allen and Peja are two of the best shooters the league has ever seen.
In 1984 you had 2 of the top 5 players in NBA history. And then throw in charles and stockton.

And Kobe would have won ROY if he got more minutes hahaha

Kush

Love said:
Wade is not near Kobe in terms of their respective careers. Kobe is "declining" according to many, and yet he put up the same exact stats as Wade did this season. Kobe in his prime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wade in his prime. Blows him out of the water. But that's not a detriment to wade, Kobe was just that good during his prime. Putting up 35/5/5 a night, his defenders used to be scared of him

I don't know if you can call 2003 the best draft class in 20-30 years
1996 and 1984 were phenomenal draft years

Allen Iverson (No. 1), Marcus Camby (No. 2), Shareef Abdur-Rahim (No. 3), Stephon Marbury (No. 4), Ray Allen (No. 5), Antoine Walker (No. 6), Kobe Bryant (No. 13), Peja Stojakovic (No. 14), Steve Nash (No. 15), Jermaine O’Neal (No. 17), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (No. 20) and Ben Wallace (undrafted)

Hakeem Olajuwon (No. 1), Michael Jordan (No.3), Charles Barkley (No. 5), John Stockton (No. 16)

In 1996 you have a DEEP draft class. Camby, Wallace, and O'neal were all defensive beasts. Kobe, AI, and Nash were all MVP's. Ray Allen and Peja are two of the best shooters the league has ever seen.
In 1984 you had 2 of the top 5 players in NBA history. And then throw in charles and stockton.

And Kobe would have won ROY if he got more minutes hahaha
when are you saying kobe was in his prime? it depends on that... because i dont agree with you. And the reason kobe has the same numbers as wade this season? because... wades sharing his stats with the best bball player in the league right now. and STILL MATCHING KOBE'S numbers...

as for draft classes, 1984 BARELY makes the cut, i wasnt even referring to that though i guess it makes the 2 decades... and still thats 4 of the best players of that period, so at most it MATCHES 2003, who's players are still coming into their own, who knows what theyll be when their careers are done...

96 does win though ill giv eyou that.

ill agree though, wade may sit at 6 right now but my money says he breaks top 3 before hes done. but again its arguable, i see kobe at 2 over west right now and personally dont think AI should be in the top 5, because his greatness came at a price... winning.

as for the 96 draft class... i'll say its comparable, neither wins

Love

AI...I dislike him haha. He was only effective because his crossover was a carry. As soon as they started enforcing the rules, he disappeared.
I don't think the argument that sharing the ball with LBJ is affecting Wade's number stands.
He's only taking 1 less shot than he was last year. And his stats are similar to those that he has last year. He's the second option for the defense to guard behind Lebron(I don't think so, but if you're going to make the argument that playing next to lebron takes away from his possessions, then playing next to him takes pressure off of wade also). Kobe's playing almost half a quarter less per game than Wade per game, and he's been in the league twice as long. According to history, players should start a steep decline after hitting 40,000 minutes if they haven't already. Kobe's hit the 40,000 mark already, and he's still up and running.
Kobe in 2005-2008 was a beast. Earlier years he could flat out get anywhere on the court, and around 07/08, that turnaround post jumper almost always went in. A thing about Kobe is that he's been durable and relevant for so long. His effectiveness outlasted AI, Tmac, and Vince Carter. Look at those guys now(they all came into the league with or after Kobe), and look at Kobe. He's still competing with Wade in his prime
Lol this is going away from the playoffs topic now.

Who is going to be the finals MVP? That's going to be a good topic

Kush

lol fair enough. LBJ will get it, regardless of who deserves it. Hell i think even Dirk may possibly should give west a run for his money as the second player ever to be finals mvp on the losing side!! lol. but i think it was lbjs from the start, even if wade deserves it