• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

NORCAL-Disappointment/Shady Comp

Kaur

Nav, the scoresheets were not the issue. Obviously numbers don't lie. But having judges tell you that , they themselves are surprised that a team did not place, and have no feedback to give us. That makes us think were the score sheets not legit? Why were the judges so surprised at a team not placing?

NavDheri

Hkiran said:
Nav, the scoresheets were not the issue. Obviously numbers don't lie. But having judges tell you that , they themselves are surprised that a team did not place, and have no feedback to give us. That makes us think were the score sheets not legit? Why were the judges so surprised at a team not placing?
No HK I'm not saying anything towards you or anything...I read your post and I get what your saying but for some of the members of the forum I said to post the score sheets...for everyone to see before saying anything towards PANJ (ie; the complaining beings after a competition, etc.) or NorCal competition. That was all I was trying to say. :)

Kaur

Nav Dheri said:
Hkiran said:
No HK I'm not saying anything towards you or anything...I read your post and I get what your saying but for some of the members of the forum I said to post the score sheets...for everyone to see before saying anything towards PANJ (ie; the complaining beings after a competition, etc.) or NorCal competition. That was all I was trying to say. :)

got it :)

- Raja -

I give props to Bulldog. There sickk with thiss transportation stuff! They picked us up from San Jose and took us to Fresno! then when the comp was over they got us rentals so we could drive backk to San Jose. they need to bring that compp backk

HarmanSingh

Dholi Gurjant said:
If you want answers regarding pranks that were pulled feel free to ask me because I was standing on the fourth floor listening to people complaining about PANJ putting super glue on other teams doors. Beside that point we had the Hotel management come to us and complain regarding that. Threatening us about this unruly behavior.
Vandalism and destroying property…keep the culture alive PANJ! You are great role models for the young teams on the circuit and are an ideal representation of the Punjabi community!

Nks

what ever happened bout bhangra being bout fun and promoting your culture? seems like everyones doing it for the numbers and titles :/ not saying any of you guys dont deserve it but seriously? bhangra is way to competitive nowadays ..

Navkarn said:
Dholi Gurjant said:
Hasn't Bhangra just became a mockery of our typical Indian society now a days. People complain about everything. If you want answers regarding pranks that were pulled feel free to ask me because I was standing on the fourth floor listening to people complaining about PANJ putting super glue on other teams doors. Beside that point we had the Hotel management come to us and complain regarding that. Threatening us about this unruly behavior. And honestly when it was mentioned weeks in advance regarding transportation to this competition is limited and that we will be transporting teams from San Francisco to Modesto at certain times we by all means expect you guys to abide by those rules. I know you had a few members fly into Oakland do to it being a bit cheaper in pricing but from what I happen to recall a couple committee members went and picked them up in the morning.

-Also as mentioned in one of our earlier posts we sincerely apologized for not waking up in time to transport you back to San Fran. I know how it feels to have to get a cab to be on the save side because a committee member did not wake up on time. I myself paid a little over $150 for just a cab. Trust me I feel the pain that shouldn't be necessary but when Ash called you before you actually took the cab apologizing and said we will transport you, you denied it and took the cab instead. So if you think about it you or whoever took the cab still made the choice to take the cab. You need to realize working as a CEO of the Comp after having loads of stress from the complications from the show hearing every teams bickering that its going to be tough to transport a team we he himself was up till 6:30 in the morning trying to calm down teams and deal with hotel management. Next we will accommodate something.

-Now for judging yea you guys didn't place. Everyone feels as if the placed I agree you guys had a solid performance. But as I spoke to the judges they all said it comes down to the numbers in the end. Everything was calculated, I overhead you guys talk to judges, when the entire team is circling around one judge, yelling and complaining trying to get an explanation from him what do you expect him to tell you? The entire team was hassling the judge, is that what this team happens to do after every competition that they don't place at? Because honestly I feel the judges pain.

- Honestly its completely ridiculous to sit behind a computer and rag on a competition continuously and try to say this comp is better than that one. We try to make situations better on teams, yea I agree we had complications through the entire night yet every team needs to realize this year was way more difficult to work with than last year. The entire committee had to learn how to work many technical areas on there own during tech time alone just like a typical team rehearsal. This venue did not give us much at all. Trying to make our competition look bad and take sides with another competition doesn't look iffy at all? I mean seriously you guys were pulling pranks the hotel management complained regarding it and now your taking sides with another competition and that goes for both repliers on this board. We have nothing against Warrior I myself as a committee member of NorCal also competed at Warrior. I have nothing against them and I know quite a few of the committee members personally myself. Rather competitions, judges, committees members and so on are becoming biased its more of the teams that are influencing these biased tactics. BTF is seriously turning into a lace of hatred then what it was implemented for. We will take all comments into affect as in what to avoid as in issues and what to work for next year but having people literally sit here and talk crap and take sides of other competitions is complete ridicule of what our Bhangra community is turning into
thank you for keeping it real. +1
+8542395809345490358348543423523453425

sgrewal30

Nks said:
what ever happened bout bhangra being bout fun and promoting your culture? seems like everyones doing it for the numbers and titles :/ not saying any of you guys dont deserve it but seriously? bhangra is way to competitive nowadays ..
I think that this particular situation has less to do with numbers and titles and just more to do with how uncomfortable the team felt with certain aspects of the weekend... All the teams that competed are good teams, they have good coaches, good captains, and they are good people... Everyone honestly congratulated the winners with out any sarcasm or anything... PANJ is a team of these same people... Yeah I think HK was a bit harsh in the message and I don't agree with alot that she said as being the committee's responsibility (rides, where teams rooms are placed, committee members reassuring the team fits the comp's standards etc) but I really think she meant what she said genuinely in a constructive and non "hater" kinda way.

HK- I'm sorry that Norcal was as you said a disappointment and I really hope you guys come again to another California comp that can make up for your experiences at this one. Just to address your actual message:
- There are a lot of airports in California, especially in Norcal. SF is probably the cheapest for you guys but in the future you guys should look into landing in a closer airport (google "Airports in ... and youll find a bunch of smaller ones) or take the BART which I believe goes straight through the area Norcal was in.
- I can understand a bit about the rooms being far apart from eachother or on different floors, we had 3 rooms on different floors or a bit far apart, but I'm sure the hotel would have no problem giving you rooms next to each other. If they wouldn't then it's probably because no rooms were left side by side, and if you're sure they wont let you switch, simply go ape shit and say something like the room smells like smoke or the toilet isnt working, etc etc.
- For any committee member to reassure you that you're style or set is fit to match the rubric and then have you not place is a fault on that member's part. Even I had seen the rubric before the competition as I'm sure every other team did aswell and maybe even you and that should be your primary check list or reassurance i guess you could say because any committee member can say something but that never speaks for the entire competition. Example: this comp was a modern comp, yet DTF went live and they knew before they performed it was modern.
- As far as scores go, in some cases you can have 80s and 90s but judges will wait till the end and base their decision off who they think deserved it the most, rather than just numbers which I'm assuming is what happened here. Yes there were some mess ups in PANJ's set but no one is perfect, including the teams that did place.

I'm sorry if anything I said up ^ there sounded arrogant or anything. I know you have much more experience in competitions than I do and probably know all of this already so consider it as a friend reminding another friend. You guys helped us out alot at this comp, and the performance, as i wont say was flawless, was of course great.

Everybody who is only bitching in this thread calm your asses down.. You guys all get along so well in person and then on BTF like it's jerry springer.
(oh and dude who i quoted, my bad LOL this isnt like directed to like JUST you..)

sherpunjabiputh

Nks said:
I agree Bhangra is always about having fun!!! But at the same time you have to look at all the time, money,health and other things people put in and in end they end up being in a situation that some teams like PUNJ had to be in sucks... When you look at the placings, one is an all guys team, one is a coed team, and lastly one is all a girls tram, that too they were the last 3 teams to perform. As someone just watching the show u kind of scratch your head and wonder if it was some what biased or not lol. But can't do much just saying Bhangra politics is taking over the love of Bhangra.

sgrewal30

sherpunjabiputh said:
Nks said:
I agree Bhangra is always about having fun!!! But at the same time you have to look at all the time, money,health and other things people put in and in end they end up being in a situation that some teams like PUNJ had to be in sucks... When you look at the placings, one is an all guys team, one is a coed team, and lastly one is all a girls tram, that too they were the last 3 teams to perform. As someone just watching the show u kind of scratch your head and wonder if it was some what biased or not lol. But can't do much just saying Bhangra politics is taking over the love of Bhangra.
Come on dude... don't do that, don't add in more stuff and discredit an entire competition and judges with more politics and conspiracy like crap... It's just as likely to have been a coincidence. AND, by considering something like that, it takes away from the fact that bk, nba, and cal did a great job. bk had energy, nba was clean as hell, and cal was in sync

singh89

Norcal weekend is over, and no can do anything to change the placings and stuff. Everyone should just move on now and look forward to upcoming competitions. And if the competing teams/committee members get a chance, they should upload the score sheets!!

H.S.

Just to clear a couple of things up....

PANJ has competed at numerous competitions and have NOT placed at some, we have NEVER come onto BTF and called any organization or competition out in public before. So before anyone decides to label us "cocky", "ungrateful", etc. please learn more about PANJ's history and let our actions in the past describe us and not this VERY RARE call out that was necessary to let people know about our experience at NORCAL.

Yes, some of the PANJ boys pulled a harmless mini prank however the boys did go apologize to the team face to face (ended up spending most of our time over the weekend with the team), cleaned up ENTIRELY and the hotel staff was content. I'm not attempting to defend the boys, just pointing out that we did try to make things right...and eventually did.

Rides: Oakland is about 45mins - 1hr CLOSER to NORCAL than SFO. So, the committee did NOT go out of their way to pick us up. Some of you have mentioned BART. 2 of our members did end up taking a cab to the BART system (which stops about 1hr and 15min AWAY from Norcal), and then we went and picked them up. PANJ's intention wasn't to make it hard for the comp when it came to rides, we ASKED before we did anything and the organizers OKAY'ed everything. On Sunday, we were PROMISED a ride at 9:30AM, the members were in the lobby at 9AM. Exactly at 10:10am we get a call from a female who sounded like she was still in bed asking if we had found a ride, we said yes, she said okay and disconnected. If we had waited for this female to drop us off, we would of missed our flights.

Judging: We spoke to 3 out of the 4 judges, as the 4th judge pretty much sprinted out of the venue right as the results were announced. PANJ wasn't surrounding any of the judges or hassling any of them. Members off of other teams also were in the circle, asking questions and trying to understand what happened. The judges were EQUALLY as CONFUSED as we were. We recorded the judges conversations, however ONE judge has asked us not to post the conversations and so we won't.

Score sheets: PANJ was shown our score sheets, however there were no judges signatures or initials on any of the sheets. The judges couldn't even pick out their own sheets. NORCAL can't guarantee that the sheets are authentic without any signatures or initials.

Also, having the COMP end at 11:30pm, have no dinner provided (only place open was taco bell and drive thru only) and pay $20 to get into the afterparty even with a wrist band was just the cherry on top.

but once again, PANJ has been around for a few years, we have won, placed, and not placed at competitions but you could search all of BTF and not find any complaints from us or any complaints from organizers regarding us. We do feel that NORCAL was a disappointment in every aspect and it's unfortunate that everything played out the way it has.

Once again, congrats to all the placing teams, and we wish nothing but the best in the future for everyone involved :)

kpanesar

Why walk when you can dance
competitions come and go, but what stays true is how much you love to do bhangra. just forget it and move on because you should only be doing it for the passion.

harjap_singh

Bk had a great set, and i've watched it and so did PANJ. I cant say anything about NBA because i haven't seen their set, but im 100% sure it should have been between you three. Honestly when i read the lineup for this comp, and i thought it'd be a no-brainer that PANJ would take it. But everyone knows that you guys truly deserved to place. The new outfits look AMAZING btw, and thanks for the old ones;) much lovee

GSingh

harjap_singh said:
you have to understand that there's politics involved too. I mean, if you have a team competing at ''Norcal Bhangra" named "Cal Bhangra," odds are they are going to place over you. Bk had a great set, and i've watched it and so did PANJ. I cant say anything about NBA because i haven't seen their set, but im 100% sure it should have been between you three. Honestly when i read the lineup for this comp, and i thought it'd be a no-brainer that PANJ would take it. But everyone knows that you guys truly deserved to place. The new outfits look AMAZING btw, and thanks for the old ones;) much lovee
Umm no?

harjap_singh

GSingh said:
harjap_singh said:
you have to understand that there's politics involved too. I mean, if you have a team competing at ''Norcal Bhangra" named "Cal Bhangra," odds are they are going to place over you. Bk had a great set, and i've watched it and so did PANJ. I cant say anything about NBA because i haven't seen their set, but im 100% sure it should have been between you three. Honestly when i read the lineup for this comp, and i thought it'd be a no-brainer that PANJ would take it. But everyone knows that you guys truly deserved to place. The new outfits look AMAZING btw, and thanks for the old ones;) much lovee
Umm no?
I meant PLACE. not necessarily OVER YOU, but place. It's inevitable. Thats what i think at least..esp with fudh ass judges..haha