• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

OFFICIAL Boston Bhangra Competition 2008 Results/Discussion

Kapil

Wear Responsibly 2.0 || One for All...All for FAUJ
Messages
133
Heads up, teams will be filling out an evaluation form for the BBC committee and then getting their judges sheets after they turn it in.
 

Nikhil

New Member
Messages
881
Moderator's Note: A new topic was created discussing to discuss tidbits about judging.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
SunnySidhu said:
vick dude, chill out. Teams don't usually cause problems for hotels, that's usually left to the idiots who come to the Pre party, aren't staying at the hotel, but feel like they can party inthe lobby until sunrise. Teams unfortunately have to pay the consequences, like with 3d who was kicked out for playing antaksri of all things in their room.

Honestly tho, after six years of dancing, I have to say Boston bhangra is one of my favorite competitions. We weren't coralled like cattle; we were held to responsibility like adults, and the teams responded accordingly (for the most part lol).
Bro I've been around... The teams are just as big as a part of it as the people who come to chill... I wasn't at Boston or anything, but you can't tell me with a straight face that the teams were quiet and everything was all good...
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Vick, you're absolutely right. Here's the thing. I was sitting in a room with maybe 4-5 people, with the TV's volume less than audible, and literally maybe 2 people talking at the moment. Conversation at the time revolved around favorite TV shows. 2 people were in the bathroom, three were sitting outside. A large knock at the door brought 4 rather large, intrusive and rude security people in to the room, shoving their way past the person who answered the door. They presumed to start yelling themselves, telling people to get the fuck out. Even people who were just visiting the room (Like me, though I didn't say anything) were asked what their room numbers were. Security THEN escorted them to their room, and proceeded to kick out the poeple there, regardless of complaints. This was absolutely and totally ridiculous. I walked outside, and all of 3D's team was standing out in the cold at 4-5 am. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but irregardless of that team alone, the security went over the top. I'd also like to note that the hotel should have smartened up: Having 2 rooms for our team on saturday night, the hotel very intelligently stuck is in a corner, but did NOT put our rooms next to one another. So for two nights, some poor family was going to be subject to noise (turns out they had a baby, to make matters worse). How are we supposed to avoid complaints, EVEN FOR TALKING? I agree with sidhu, we had to be responsible, but Sidhu if you talked to Taiymur and KalaSunny, you know we couldn't have been more than at conversational level.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Kush said:
Vick, you're absolutely right. Here's the thing. I was sitting in a room with maybe 4-5 people, with the TV's volume less than audible, and literally maybe 2 people talking at the moment. Conversation at the time revolved around favorite TV shows. 2 people were in the bathroom, three were sitting outside. A large knock at the door brought 4 rather large, intrusive and rude security people in to the room, shoving their way past the person who answered the door. They presumed to start yelling themselves, telling people to get the fuck out. Even people who were just visiting the room (Like me, though I didn't say anything) were asked what their room numbers were. Security THEN escorted them to their room, and proceeded to kick out the poeple there, regardless of complaints. This was absolutely and totally ridiculous. I walked outside, and all of 3D's team was standing out in the cold at 4-5 am. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but irregardless of that team alone, the security went over the top. I'd also like to note that the hotel should have smartened up: Having 2 rooms for our team on saturday night, the hotel very intelligently stuck is in a corner, but did NOT put our rooms next to one another. So for two nights, some poor family was going to be subject to noise(turns out they had a baby, to make matters worse). How are we supposed to avoid complaints, EVEN FOR TALKING? I agree with sidhu, we had to be responsible, but Sidhu if you talked to Taiymur and KalaSunny, you know we couldn't have been more than at conversational level.
I dont know if you are being sarcastic or if you actually agree... hahaa...Let's just say some of the other teams screwed you guys over... I highlighted a statement, you kind of proved my point.. You guys got kicked out before shit could go wrong, maybe the security wasnt that stupid after all.. hahaha...

**Waiting for a response from 15 other teams that say they did nothing wrong...
 

Kapil

Wear Responsibly 2.0 || One for All...All for FAUJ
Messages
133
our team was also split with a room in the middle (probably some old people), and a similar incident happened with us, except the security kicked us out of the room cuz we said we were going downstairs anyways. oh yea, we weren't even watching TV, so even less noise. they started checking who the room was registered to and starting pulling some legality bullshit, so we were just like don't worry we're leaving..
 

NDbhangra87

New Member
Messages
48
I aggree with Vick and The girl who commented on Empire's expressions..
Empire completley lacked expressions
But fuck..if i could kick ass with the same routine id keep doing it till i lost..
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
roo_thakral4 said:
look bro you need to chill with the airport deal, i'm pretty sure if you were stuck there for two hours expecting to be picked up by people heading the competition you would be pretty ticked also. it was already stressful for the them to endure a delayed flight, and on top of that have to wait and figure that stuff out. just try and understand, and again i'm one hundred percent sure you would have been pissed as well. it's over now but hey what happened happened, quit hating.
I've probably flown more than any other college student on the planet... I've probably endured more missed flights, delayed flights, cancelled flights in my lifetime already than you will in 80 years of existence... It's only stressful if you let it be... I'm not hating on VCU because of what happened at the airport, I have better things to do in life than worry about VCU stuck at an airport... I merely pointed out what I would have done in that situation... Shit goes wrong sometimes, you just gotta deal with it and move on... Take it with a grain of salt woman... And I just noticed your "newbie" status, I'm not sure why I wasted my time on you...
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
I wasn't being sarcastic. It really does come down to the teams like 90% of the time. I'm just saying this time it wasn't. I also wasn't clear though. Guardians did NOT get kicked out of the hotel, despite having a family between our two rooms. We were probably warned 10 times over the weekend, but we made every attempt to be polite, even knocking on our neighbors doors asking them to let us know if they had any problems so we could solve them. Security was out of line, however, throwing out other teams who weren't doing anything, whether it was preventative, or if suddenly "talking" was a problem.
 

RickyD

New Member
Messages
13
Security at this hotel was definitely on top of everything. I guess at the end of the day there are other paying guests & their job is to make everyones stay worth every penny. Luckily we were in a "suite" that was blocked off from all other rooms so they never hassled us. Although the "suites" at the park plaza are designed weird. They're practically two different rooms with two different keys, & no connecting door in the middle. But anyway, I was down in the lobby at around 4:30am & saw all of 3D chilling outside in the cold coz they'd been kicked out. Didn't know other teams had been given the boot too. That really sucks! I hope all the teams that got the boot had early morning flights coz it started getting pretty damn chilli at that time! Other than that, the show was fantastic. Congrats to Bhangra Empire for coming 1st, & to all the other teams that participated. The afterparty was great until the sound went out & no one could find the sound engineers, which meant I had to play the dhol for the rest of the night. Damn, never played that long in my life. My arm was pretty much bout to fall off when it got done!
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
NDbhangra87 said:
I aggree with Vick and The girl who commented on Empire's expressions..
Empire completley lacked expressions
But fuck..if i could kick ass with the same routine id keep doing it till i lost..
I would say.. that's completely false. May I ask where you were sitting, NDbhangra87 - because I cannot imagine a better seat to evaluate expressions than from the very front, closest to the dancers, where I was seated. Sure, the best expressions are those that you can see from the farthest seat, but saying that Empire completely lacked expressions is a fictitious statement.

In regards of doing a previous year routine, it comes down to a matter of respect. You get respect if you are able to consistently pull wins out of your ass with new choreography every year or whether you use the same stuff to win. It becomes a matter of whether you're a team that is doing a hot performance or a hot team doing a performance.
 

Ajit Singh

New Member
Messages
2
Just wanted to say thanks a great weekend everyone, and for treating my new teammates with lots of love. On behalf of 3D, we enjoyed every minute of it and had a blast meeting everyone. Congrats to all the placing teams and it was good to finally get to see all the teams from the beginning to end. Special thanks to VCU, Guardians, Sher, BMW, Empire, and Jawani for multiple reasons, I basically just stated every team at the comp haha.

See you all shortly in the future,

Ajit Singh
3D Coach/Captain

P.S. Im excited cuz this is my first post, officially de-*irginized
 

Shazzy919

New Member
Messages
13
That's only cuz Ajit has de-XIR-ginized me ;) so he knows what it's like to be on the giWingh and receiWingh end :-* So proud of you Xir, fwokkin LoWe you--now come back to my arms...we haWe big things to accomplish!
 

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
It's practically morning, and I can't fall asleep. While I'm awake and don't have work to do-I figured why not post.

Issues with hotel security and parties ending at 2AM aside, I had a good time! Everything-for the most part-was organized. The show was entertaining. I got to meet a lot of great people (you all know who you are)... I can't really complain.

The show started around 6:35PM-which, compared to other shows that start up to an hour and a half later, is amazing.

I'm going to keep this as short as possible... partially because I don't remember EVERY SINGLE part of each performance.

So I had nosebleed section seats-I couldn't see facial expressions, but otherwise I had practically the best seats in the house.

Teams:
Bhangra Empire: VERY ENTERTAINING. Crazy formations. Excellent execution. Lacked traditional aspects. The vote on whether they deserved first is arguable. Personally, in an attempt not to take away from the performance itself, I don't think so.

BMW: I think they had great ideas for their performance, but they weren't well executed. Stage wasn't used as well as it could have been. If everything were done well, it would have been awesome. Props to the dude who fell on his back and kept dancing like nothing happened.

BU Bhangra: Entertaining, but maybe a little outdated. However, the execution was really good. I think a lot of progress was made-and that's awesome... but your work isn't quite finished.

3D: SUCKS that you guys went first. Umm, for me-I thought it had a lot of potential. I was also hoping that the jhummar would have more movement. It kinda seemed like you stood in one place. And I don't know if there was a collision on stage or there was a near-collision, but formations and spacing should be cleaned up to avoid that problem.

GW: I'm actually semi-afraid to type this in fear that Waleed will rip me one. I remember seeing you guys in the past and thinking 'They have potential, now if they could become more synchronized.' And WOW were you all synchronized. My issue was you started off right, and then during the middle I got bored. It slowed down and seemed like it wasn't able to pick up afterward.

Jawani: One word-SEXY. Loved the energy, loved the stunts, very well executed-surprised as hell that you didn't place.

MIT: Best part was that Faizan was chimta bitch. Jay Kay. I thought the ideas were awesome... but there were WAYYYY too many ideas in one performance. The girl doing a backflip on the right side of the stage-honestly if I wasn't looking there for some reason, I would've missed it completely. KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid.

NU Bhangra: Enjoyable. I liked it-if anything there wasn't anything in the performance itself that stood out for me. Personally though, not a fan of the outfits. Also, quick note-personal opinion-if you're tired after performing and you have a stunt but don't have the energy to execute it (such as a tower)-don't even attempt it. Failed stunts just takes away from the performance.

RU: Always a good watch. I find that the more I get involved in the bhangra scene, the more I enjoy the all-live bhangra. Few mistakes here and there, but overall good performance-as always.

SHER: Ok, honestly I felt that you started off with a BANG. But then I thought it got a little slow, and didn't pick up til the ending song. Overall very synchronized and good performance... but for all the hype I was expecting a little extra kick.

The Guardians of Bhangra: There were parts that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED, and then there were parts that I HATED. Parts where energy lacked, failed stunt (I forgot if there was one-I think there was but not sure), and formations off here and there. Stunt where two dudes where standing on one guy was SICK. Also, the vardiyan (someone please correct me if I spelled that wrong) were awesome.

VCU: SICKKKK... don't know what else I could say.

Also, as an Italian-American bhangra dancer, I was very proud to see great diversity at a major competition.

Chris from BBC, it was an honor to meet you. Best of luck in the future, and I hope we cross paths soon.

Later kids!

P.S. I am also pretty sure that I made Saleem's sh*tlist after accidentally smacking him while dancing at the afterparty. In the event that a formal apology isn't enough, I'd also like to publicly/BTFly say that I'm sorry for said incident.
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
campy614 said:
P.S. To the half-Italian/half-Punjabi girl on Empire, mi ciamo Giuseppe. 917-662-7032. Call me ;)
haha little do you know that not only is there one of them, but I have an older sister as well. And you'll be disappointed to know how little we know about our italian side. If only we knew as much as our Punjabi half, wouldn't that be great! haha.
 
Top